5.0 out of 5 stars Great Plan
Published on May 20 2010 by D. Drapeau

Published 8 months ago by JSJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Plan, May 20 2010
D. Drapeau "Book obsessed" (Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat: Secrets of My Mother's Tokyo Kitchen (Paperback)
No need to diet anymore. Just eating this type of cuisine and walking every day will make the pounds drop off of you. Good buy bulky, starchy and bloating foods and hello to lots of fresh vegetables all cooked in delicious spices and sauces. You'll want to try the mouth-watering recipes included in the book---you might even want to visit Japan too! I tried this way of eating and got more energy and lots of weight loss. You can still eat Italian, Mexican, Indian, French, and Greek cuisine but you'll notice more energy and a clearer head when eating Japanese food. I'm a vegetarian and found lots of recipes that I could substitute tofu for the beef and chicken. And although I never liked fish, I now enjoy salmon rolled up in sushi twice a week (good brain food!). You won't be disappointed with this book. It's informmative without being preachy, and the author is very descriptive and pleasant. I'm not kidding; you'll want to visit Japan, and namely Tokyo, by the time you finish reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's about health, June 8 2006
This is an interesting and insightful book to learn more about the Japanese culture and way of life especially in terms of their eating habits. There are certainly more to Japanese cuisine than just the typical teriyaki chicken, sushi and tempura. Bear in mind that, this book is not a diet book. The book is more about staying healthy rather than losing weight. In that respect it reminds me of "Can We Live 150" where the author's main and only focus is health, but losing weight is a natural outcome of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Aug. 17 2011
Comawhite (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
I purchased this book recently, wanting to learn a little more about the Japanese culture, and am very satisfied. It's a unsual mix of a biography and a recipe book. I learned a lot and I recommend it to anyone who is conscious about his/her health and lifestyle or wish to learn how to live a longer and healthier life!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's not just a cookbook, Aug. 7 2011
Karolina Marques (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This is a wonderful story, also. It's part biography, part explanation, and all wonderful. I really enjoyed reading it along with the recipes. I really like how most of the cooking really is quite simple, with the main emphasis being freshness.
I don't think this book has gotten the recognition it really deserves, and it is my little hidden jewel in my cookbook collection.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only interesting if you know nothing about Japan or healthy cooking, Feb. 26 2014
If you have lived in Japan and/or read other books about nutrition and healthy/Japanese cooking, this book will not be of much interest to you. If you know nothing or very little about these topics, this is a good book to start with. Cute idea for a book, but I guess I was looking for new, interesting information, data, and recipes, not nostalgic memories of random people and places or long descriptions of anticipating certain foods by smell and sight. I skimmed through much of the book and learned very little from the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, Feb. 12 2014
Haven't finished it yet but it's so far pretty good. I like that she includes recipes and lifestyle differences. I'm currently a poor student but when I'm a little more wealthy I'd love to invest in some of her ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes, April 4 2013
K. Sheppard - See all my reviews
Easy and delicious recipes to follow. Would recommend this book to anyone who wants to try some japanese cousine and learn some new tips.

2.0 out of 5 stars repetitive, repetitive, REPETITIVE, Oct. 5 2011
the author takes a very long time to say nothing and repeats things over and OVER again. It's difficult to even find a recipe in it because they are surrounded by words you dont want to read.

Japanese Women Don't Get Old or Fat: Secrets of My Mother's Tokyo Kitchen