5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Heart-Warming New Fiction Book I've Read in 2008
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society will appeal to anyone who loves to read about courage, integrity, kindness, love, literature, and happiness. Written as a series of letters among the characters, the book will also charm those who enjoy getting to know people through what they reveal in writing.

It would be easy to spoil this gem so I'll reveal...
Published on Nov. 7 2008 by Donald Mitchell

3.0 out of 5 stars Overly hyped
Note: My original review for this book was previously posted on my blog, The Baking Bookworm[...]
My Thoughts: For the past year, at least, I've heard nothing but praise for this book. I had been on the waiting list at our library for what seemed like decades so I was quite happy to finally have reached the summit of that long, long waiting list...
Published 18 months ago by The Baking Bookworm

5.0 out of 5 stars The Most Heart-Warming New Fiction Book I've Read in 2008, Nov. 7 2008
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: A Novel (Hardcover)

It would be easy to spoil this gem so I'll reveal as little as possible. In the first letter dated 8th January 1946, author Juliet Ashton writes to her publisher, Sidney Stark, about the results of her book tour for Izzy Bickerstaff goes to War and her new book, English Foibles. It turns out she's tired of being a light-hearted journalist. From there, we trail Juliet as she eventually finds her subject through an unexpected letter from a Guernsey farmer, Dawsey Adams, who owns an old book of hers, Selected Essays of Elia by Charles Lamb, which had her name and former address written inside the front cover. Like Alice when she went down the rabbit hole, that letter opens up a whole new world . . . and set of experiences . . . relating to the English Channel island of Guernsey which was occupied by German forces during World War II.

Unlike literary letters (say of Virginia Woolf), these letters are more often chatty and informative than witty. But each letter opens the door into the hearts and minds of the characters in deeper ways than can occur in the normal narrative of a novel. You will feel like you are solving a mystery at times. You'll even get to know characters quite well that don't write any letters.

I found myself torn between wanting to race to the end . . . and wanting to savor the pleasure of each letter. The latter instinct prevailed.

The letters are short, and you could read most of them in two minutes or less. Even if you are frequently interrupted, you will get right back into the story.

There's a clear possibility of a sequel here. I look forward to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars letters, Aug. 18 2008
Stewart Livingstone "christy82954" (Abbotsford, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This book transports you to another era with its colorful descriptions of the Second World War, this delightful island & its people. It makes you want to read more books of this type & also to read more books on Guernsey Island. The characters are marvelous & I wish the book was longer so I could spend more time with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars A TALE FFILLED WITH COURAGE AND HUMOR, Aug. 11 2008
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Audio books are getting better and better. For this listener that is largely due to increasing narrations by ensemble casts, giving a breadth and richness to readings that cannot be achieved by even the most accomplished single voices. Such is certainly true of this warm, humorous story that is related in a series of letters.

It is the winter of 1946 in London when our story opens. Author Juliet Ashton is pondering, no searching for ideas for her next book. She's surprised to receive a letter from the island of Guernsey, which was once under German occupation. The epistle is from a man she does not know, Dawsey Adams, who now has a book by Charles Lamb that once belonged to Juliet. Dawsey wants to know where he might find more books by Lamb.

Juliet's curiosity is aroused by this man who shares her affinity for Lamb, and in future correspondence he tells her that he is a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a group formed for mutual protection during the German occupation.

Eventually, Juliet receives letters from other members of the Society, a disparate yet fascinating group, each with a story to tell. In due time she decides she must meet her new friends.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a wonderful tale, peopled with unforgettable characters and filled with courage, love, humor, all of which reminds us of the invincibility of the human spirit.

- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best of 2008!, Dec 8 2008
Oh I just loved this book! I was constantly poised between racing to see what happens next and just savouring each page slowly like a Belgian chocolate.
The entire book consists of letters between a journalist and the inhabitants of Guernsey during and after WW2.
It is an extraordinary book in that it takes you right in to the era of German occupation of the Channel Islands and how the residents coped. I learned historical details whilst being totally submerged in the characters who ring so true. I particularly loved the character of the little girl.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Slice of Life, Jan. 11 2009
Dave and Joe (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Every review I've read about this talks about the book being a delightful read or a charming way to spend some time. While it is true there are delightful passages and charming characters, the book is much more than you might imagine. There is real human drama here, there are people you grow to love and to mourn. This is not all froth, the book packs an emotional punch. One of the best books I've read in a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Book for Book Lovers!, Oct. 19 2008
MacFly (Regina, Saskatchewan) - See all my reviews
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie was a real gem to read! Not a book I normally would have picked up, I have heard nothing but wonderful things about this book from other readers. The story is told entirely through letters - again, not something that I would think would work all that well. But the story was wonderful and it rolled out wonderfully from the letters. Steeped in history, I learned a great deal from this book and enjoyed reading about a group of readers. There were parts of the book that were very sad but the dry humour in the book really appealed to me. This is a terrific book that I recommend to all people who love to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Delightful!, Feb. 2 2012
When I first picked up this book from my local library, I was hesitant because of its letter format. I thought the idea of telling a story in the form of letters would cause the plot to be disjointed, but I was far from wrong. I quickly adapted to the style and found the main character, Juliet, an absolute delight. Her sense of humor is richly developed and her witty personality is immediately lovable.

Poised in the aftermath of World War I, the novel follows the lives of the inhabitants of the island of Guernsey after German occupation is over. And whilst they should be broken and bitter after years of horror under German forces, they manage to find beauty, simplicity, and hope through their bonds with each other.

I would highly recommend this book; it is a treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Nov. 12 2012
One of the best books I've read. The time period is the aftermath of WWII and the effects it had on the citizens of Guernsey Island were skillfully woven into the letters written among friends and the members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Not only do you have an enjoyable read but you learn a piece of history as well as a geography lesson covering one of the Channel Islands. Highly recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb book!, June 14 2011
Darlene (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is the book that started it all for me!

One of my colleagues recommended this book to me. She raved about it so much that I knew I just had to read it. But when would I have the time?? I have not read any books "for pleasure" since before my elder daughter was born, so that is eight long years...too long! I have always been an avid reader ever since I was a child, and I read a ton of books with my children, but none for myself.

The library had a very long waiting list for this book, but the CDs were available. Since I spend about three hours each week driving to and from work, I thought that would be an ideal time for me to listen to the book. Now, oral comprehension was one of my least favourite subjects in school. I always found it difficult to listen to long ramblings and then have to answer questions...my mind always tended to wander. Not so with this audiobook! I found myself getting lost in the lively narration. I wasn't simply listening to someone read: There are different voices for different characters, and you can hear the emotion in their voices. It was like watching a play with my eyes closed. Great performances by the narrators!

The book is a series of letters written between an author and a group of residents living on the island of Guernsey. The book takes places shortly after the German occupation following World War II, with the first letter being written in January 1946. This is not the type of book that I would have picked up to read in a million years. The subject of the book just did not suit my taste. It sounded boring! Boy, was I wrong!!

I cannot rave enough how fantastic this book is!! I believe that -- had I read the book -- I would not have found it nearly so interesting! The narrators are fantastic, and I found myself falling in love with Juliet (narrated by Susan Duerdin) and Dawsey (narrated by either Paul Boehmer or John Lee) and Isola (narrated by Rosalyn Landor). I couldn't wait to see how the book ended, but I also dreaded reaching the end because I wanted it to go on and on!

The author weaves historical content into the fiction, and I found myself fascinated with the time period. This book has become my favourite book of all time!

MY RATING: 5 stars!! Loved it!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Post WWII story narrated through letter-writing is a heartfelt tale, April 4 2009
Amy (Mississauga, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a jewel of story - clear, vibrant, and beautiful. The protagonist is Juliet Ashton, a young British woman in her early thirties who survived World War II by working as a journalist. In 1946, with the war over, Juliet finds herself with a case of writer's block. She is ready to write her next piece, but needs a worthy subject. Eventually, she finds her subjects in the people of Guernsey, one of the English Channel Islands that was occupied by the Germans and completely cut-off from any contact with England during the war.

The plot unfolds through a series of letters written between Juliet and her friends, including her sensible publisher, her faithful best friend, her dashing American suitor, and several people from Guernsey, who describe what life was like for them during the war. The authors flesh out all the characters very authentically even though they never speak a word of dialogue to each other. Fans of historical fiction will be fascinated by the anecdotal stories of the Guernsey locals, who give Juliet as well as the reader a glimpse into everyday life during the war.

In the afterword, the authors comment that it took years of research to write this book, and the research they did shows. That they were able to capture the Guernsey setting so realistically in its post war years solely through letter writing is a romantic and rare treat in today's world of electronic communication. Highly recommended. [Amy MacDougall]

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: A Novel
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society: A Novel by Annie Barrows (Hardcover - July 29 2008)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 18.77