5.0 out of 5 stars A conversion like no other.
Published on Oct. 24 2002 by Raymond B. Hester

1.0 out of 5 stars No Spiritual Insight Whatsoever
Published on March 12 2010 by Book Spy

1.0 out of 5 stars No Spiritual Insight Whatsoever, March 12 2010
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
I had high hopes for this book as it was highly recommended by a friend -- I was deeply disappointed. It's hard to tell what was more annoying...her constant self-indulgence, her self-conscious writing style, or her adolescent political views. I bought this book because I wanted to read something spiritually uplifting, something to give me some insight as my own relationship with God develops; however, there was no spiritual insight in this book at all. There was very little about God...just the writer going on and on and on about herself writing I did this and I did that and aren't I clever! It was like watching a bad actor alone on stage. What a waste of money this one was.

5.0 out of 5 stars A conversion like no other., Oct. 24 2002
Raymond B. Hester (Mobile, AL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
Since the time of my own conversion experience - at age 38 - I have had a special place in my heart for others with similar experiences and Lamott's is one of the most beautifully described conversions I have ever read. A week after an abortion she finds herself one night, drunk and losing lots of blood. She's terrified and when the bleeding finally stops she turns off the light and tries to go to sleep only to become aware of someone in the room with her - first assuming it was her [dead] father. She turns on the light to find, of course, no one in the room. "But after a while in the dark again, I knew beyond any doubt it was Jesus. ... And I was appalled. I thought about my life and my brillant hilarious progressive friends. I thought about what everyone would think of me if I became a Christian, and it seemed an utterly impossible thing that simply could not be allowed to happen. I turned to the wall and said out loud, 'I would rather die.' I felt him sitting there on his haunches in the corner of my sleeping loft, watching me with patience and love, and I squinched my eyes shut, but that didn't help because that's not what I was seeing him with."
Thanks be to God.

2.0 out of 5 stars Little substance, lots of self-indulgence, April 24 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
No, I'm not an English lit professor, just a reader who enjoys a good book. I was curious about Ms. Lamott since there always seems to be controversy surrounding her and her work. Well, I'm not a member of the Christian Right, nor am I a Republican, and I am well read and I can say this book was a disappointment. If you order steak, pay for steak, and are given hamburger, you're ticked. I was ripped off and I want a refund. Ms. Lamott should take a rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars It sounded like it was the story of the author and her ..., July 25 2014
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
This was a very depressing book to me. It sounded like it was the story of the author and her struggles.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one lives on my bedside table, Jan. 19 2004
Peggy Vincent "author and reader" (Oakland, CA) - See all my reviews
Super, super, super.
I can't say it any better than many of the other reviews I've read of this book, so I'm just going to second all the five star reviews in this collection.
Anne Lamott did me the supreme honor of offering to write a cover blurb for my own book, so I owe her big time. But even if she'd not done me, a first time author, this supreme honor, I would kiss her toes and paint them with sparkle glitter green polish for having written this nitty-gritty, HONEST, shining and quirky book about her own journey to faith.
I have to share my favorite line (paraphrasing, cuz I can't find it right this minute...): I'm not going to tell you what I really thought of that woman in her Lycra bicycle shorts, because if I did, it'd make Jesus drink gin straight out of the cat's dish.
You've gotta love her. I just wish she lived next door.

3.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, a Good Book, Sept. 5 2003
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
Ann Lamott puts us in a classic conundrum because of her bold-faced honesty. Do we embrace her Christianity or dismiss her vulgararity?
Travelling mercies is filled with her customary wit, humility, and frenetic disorganization that quite honestly characterizes most Christians were they honest as Ann is. Her willingness to admit her failings and weaknesses is something to admire and applaud. Her transparency is recommended in every believer.
What I find troubling with Ann is that she seems to revel in all of her problems. She is proud of her vulgarity and her affinity for things she knows disappoint the God she loves. I'm a firm believer in grace, but should we willingly abuse the test God's mercies? He wants us to come as we are, but not stay that way. That's why he's given us His Word to point to a better way. That's not to say any of us have arrived, because we haven't. We're all feet of clay.
Believers, especially new ones, might get the false impression that sin is okay and that it's okay to stay spiritually immature. They might also get the impression that anyone who earnestly tries to honor His God is altogether pious, legalistic, arrogant, and boastful. Many Christians are, but far more are not and would people like Ann open an honest dialogue, they would discover fallen people like themselves on a journey toward Christ-likeness.
Travelling Mercies is intelligent, well-written, and refreshingly to the point. I can't however, in good conscience, give it a complete thumbs up, because of some of its content. But, I do pray that God blesses the irreverant Ann Lamott.

1.0 out of 5 stars the item did not show up!, Sept. 12 2010
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
I ordered this book, confirmed payment and it never showed up. I don't believe i was charged the 6 bucks it cost but was not notified of why the order did not go through by the seller or Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, July 17 2004
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
This is the book that got me hooked on Anne Lamott. Most poignant and precious are the insights about life as a recovering alcoholic. Raw facts about motherhood were astounding, too. Her word choice at times caused my gut to spasm, but I survived and went on to read all of the book she had previously written. To my delight and the benefit of mankind, Lamott's newest book, Blue Shoe, avoids profanity.

4.0 out of 5 stars my kind of christian, June 16 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
Until I read Anne Lamott I associated the word "Christian" with holier-than-thou, priggish, etc. Now I see clearly that that's just a stereotype. It IS possible for a Christian to be a liberal with a wicked sense of humor.
Lamott isn't afraid to present herself in a less than flattering light whether it's secretly hating her mom or yelling out of frustration at her young son. We all do these things, but most of us prefer to show the world the "good" side of ourselves. Lamott is wonderful when it comes to making the everyday petty irritations of life funny, so that you empathize with her rather than judging.
Lamott writes about children, her friends, relatives and church. She writes about the competitiveness that can develop among parents of young children, and she writes about the path she took to becoming sober. Unlike some reviewers, I don't think it's going to be detrimental to her later relationship with her son when she makes him go to church. There could be a lot worse things she could force him to do.
In one essay, she writes about feeling unattractive after standing with a group of teenage girls waiting for a bus back to her hotel. Then she realizes that no one in the group is probably satisfied with her body, and this is something I've started to tell myself when I find myself in that kind of situation, too.
This atheist gives this book two thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outside my experience, June 11 2004
This review is from: Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith (Paperback)
This book should be an eye-opener for anyone who is prone to believing in "cookie cutter christians"...
Read with an open heart. God will bless...

Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith
Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott (Paperback - Feb. 15 2000)
CDN$ 18.95 CDN$ 13.68