Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage fallcleaning Pets Music Deals Store Fall Tools

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(3 star).show all reviews
on February 9, 2004
On the whole, I found this book an enjoyable and interesting read. As another reviewer said, you will enjoy it more if you're sixty plus, fond of Shakespeare, and Jewish. I qualify on two out of three. The Jewish references were beyond my ken.
For a person nearing retirement, it's fascinating to see what some people do with their lives after full-time paid employment ends. After I retire, I plan to read all the great works of literature I've missed so far, and Shakespeare is on my list.
Gollob (he must hate it that so many people can't bother to spell his name correctly) took "Shakespeare in Love" far too seriously. After all, it was a romantic comedy. It was supposed to be fun! His criticisms of its historical inaccuracies is like criticizing Shakespeare for his witches and fairies.
Gollob is a little too full of himself at times, but he must have loved writing this book and gently bragging about his achievements and the famous people he's bumped against over the years.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on July 25, 2002
I have one major problem with SHAKESPEARE AND ME by Herman Gollob-there is too much Gollob and not enough Shakespeare. Gollob is probably a very nice man, but he has too much to say about himself, and too little of it was of interest to me. Mr. Gollob apparently was a successful New York book editor before he retired and began teaching Shakespeare to adult classes. He name drops authors all over the place and adds bits of gossip here and there about former clients. When he isn't name dropping he is telling you about his family, his friends, his church, etc. which is fine if he's your neighbor or friend, but I did not pay for this kind of amusement.
I probably would have enjoyed Gollob's book if he had spent more time writing about his lectures on Shakespeare-condensing his material into a reasonably erudite set of essays as other professors have done before him. I am interested in Shakespeare (why I bought the book). Instead, he offers a few tantalizing bits and then rambles on all over the place. Where ever he goes, be it the theater, the classroom, the bookstore, or a hotel in Oxford, he seems to feel compelled to identify and comment on the people present. I almost had the sense that Mary, Bob, Anne and the others were going to be looking for their names in print and he was determined to oblige them.
He also mentions at least 50 times that he is an Aggie fan from Texas, that he did not like his mother, and that he thinks Shakespeare got many of his ideas from the Bible. Okay already, the Bible was a big deal in Shakespeare's England as anyone who has studied the Elizabethan age knows. The Elizabethans were early English Protestants whose whole approach was "back to basics." Elizabeth's successor James had the Bible translated from Latin into English. They teach you these things in the freshmen survey of English literature. If Gollob had delved into the connections between the Bible and Shakespeare's works, I might have been intrigued, but he does not.
Probably the thing I cannot forgive Mr. Gollob is that he hated the film "Shakespeare in Love." Okay, he has a right to his own opinion, but these days many stories are spun from an original tale. Besides, if Gollob had done his homework he would know that no one knows very much about Shakespeare, and that Tom Stoppard has as much right to the playwright's life as the next guy.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again