march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on June 17, 2002
When I saw author Herman Gollob interviewed on PBS' Newshour, I was so impressed, I impulse ordered the book. TILT! Frankly, the born again Jewish stuff was a real off-the-wall turnoff and most of the book is about his attempt to prove that KING LEAR is a Talmudic piece grounded in Judacia. He consistently returns to preach and preaching he does. I felt he abused our language to demonstrate his vast knowledge of words. He has a memoir that is vital and exciting and occasionally shone through. He should dump the Torah and write his own story!
on June 5, 2002
I have to say that this book is an outrageous example of solopsism, written by one of the most self-engaged individuals imaginable. I chose to read this book because I thought I might encounter some interesting thoughts about the scholarly Shakespeare. That is not at all what the book is about! This is a book about only one thing: the phenomenal ego of Herman Gollub. Unless you are a close personal friend of this man, I don't recommend that you invest your time in this book. If you are a psychology student, studying the distorted perception of an oversized ego, than it might be worth your while. This book may have been helped by a vigorous editor; perhaps the individual in this case was reluctant to edit a peer. As a serious reader, I have no hesitation in warning other serious readers to stay far away from the narcissistic, self-congratulating drivel in "Me and Shakespeare."