5.0 out of 5 stars The Best is Yet To Be
The wonderfully unique book is best appreciated if you are Jewish, a senior citizen and/or a Shakespeare buff. Herman Gollob, recently retired from his editing chores at a publishing house, falls madly in love with Shakespeare. He rejects a retreat from societal intercourse and volunteers to teach a course on Shakespeare in the lifelong learning institute of a local...
Published on May 27 2002 by John Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Gollob and Shakespeare
On the whole, I found this book an enjoyable and interesting read. As another reviewer said, you will enjoy it more if you're sixty plus, fond of Shakespeare, and Jewish. I qualify on two out of three. The Jewish references were beyond my ken.
For a person nearing retirement, it's fascinating to see what some people do with their lives after full-time paid employment...
Published on Feb. 9 2004 by Judith C. Kinney

5.0 out of 5 stars Change as well as Shakespeare, May 30 2002
Jon D. Katz "jdk" (New York) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Me and Shakespeare: Life-Changing Adventures with the Bard (Hardcover)
This is a powerful read, obviously about Shakespeare, as mentioned in above reviews, but as significantly, about a man's courage and willingness to change. I marvel that an age when many of his peers are fussing about their retirements homes and sore knees, Golob took on some very powerful changes -- religious, spiritual, and of course intellectual. The book shows us that it is never too late to change, to try new things, to embrace them with fervor and passion. I so admire Golob for this book, and (I am not a big Shakespeare) was genuinely shocked to find it so moving and relevant.
Instead of succumbing to the first death -- when the mind closes and one begins whining about change -- Golob bravely reinvents and rediscovers himself. A really fine accomplishment, and a perfect gift for anyone veering close to mid-life and beyond.

1.0 out of 5 stars Big Disappointment, June 17 2002
Richard Piro "Richard Piro" (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
When I saw author Herman Gollob interviewed on PBS' Newshour, I was so impressed, I impulse ordered the book. TILT! Frankly, the born again Jewish stuff was a real off-the-wall turnoff and most of the book is about his attempt to prove that KING LEAR is a Talmudic piece grounded in Judacia. He consistently returns to preach and preaching he does. I felt he abused our language to demonstrate his vast knowledge of words. He has a memoir that is vital and exciting and occasionally shone through. He should dump the Torah and write his own story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining and Enlightening, Nov. 13 2003
C. Stephans - See all my reviews
As a Shakespeare enthusiast and writer, I completely enjoyed all aspects of this book. Gollob honestly shares his passion of Shakespeare and his personal history, both are well-written and lucid narratives of exploration and discovery. This book is part memoir by a literary expert and part commentary of learning about Shakespeare. I wish I had Mr. Gollob teach me Shakespeare in college rather than the tenured professors I had. I recommend this book to anyone at all interested in Shakespeare and to anyone who enjoys an excellent memoir.

Me and Shakespeare: Life-Changing Adventures with the Bard
Me and Shakespeare: Life-Changing Adventures with the Bard by Herman Gollob (Hardcover - April 30 2002)
CDN$ 40.00 CDN$ 30.29