5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome As Always
Published 4 months ago by Andrew Dockrill

Published on Sept. 27 2009 by Ron H

3.0 out of 5 stars At best an interesting history of the Masons and Washington Architecture, Sept. 27 2009
Ron H "Ron H" (Oakville, Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Hardcover)
If you have read any of Dan Brown's previous works this strays little from his established plotlines. The characters and their development were pulled from his previous novels and little new was offered. What saved this book for me as more than just a rehash of DaVinci or Angels and Demons was that he continues to impress with his research on secret societies and how they are woven into the everyday fabric of our cities, language, and culture. Although I didn't find the Mason's history as rich as the other two novels mentioned it was interesting and well worth the reading time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really?, Oct. 13 2009
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Hardcover)
When it comes to Dan Brown books there is a certain level of disbelief that the reader must suspend. I'm okay with that. I sign up for it the minute I buy a book by him. If I accept the idea that there is a particle based bomb made by a religious scientist working for a wheelchair bound relic at CERN does the rest of the story make sense? If yes, then the story is enjoyable. In no, then I have a man jumping from a helicopter into the Tiber by using a piece of cardboard to airsurf to safety from great heights. In this latest book not only is the reader asked to suspend disbelief, they are asked to suspend all levels of logic. Brown spends 450 pages detailing the physical incapacity of a main character only to have him descend 550 stairs without breaking a sweat. Really? Brown has an antagonist whose origin is absurd. Really? Brown's book has a 'plot twist' that reveals only what a reasonable person would have figured out by page 40. This. Book. Is. Bad. Pass on it. My only comfort is that I got it for 50% off.

1.0 out of 5 stars SOS, Sept. 28 2009
bookweasel (Calgary AB) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Hardcover)
Despite their far fetched plots I enjoyed Angels and Demons and The DaVinci Code. The pace of the books grabbed you and they were hard to put down. This book just feels like exploitation - a writer past his peak, in need of another bottle, having one last attempt to make a buck.

The book is slow paced and a tedious read. It is enormously contrived and the supposed twist at the end is very weak. Spend your money on the new James Ellroy.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Lost Dan Brown, Oct. 3 2009
O. Camet - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Hardcover)
After having enjoyed all four of Dan Brown's previous novels, I was looking forward to reading The Lost Symbol. What new secret would be unveiled? What controversy would be ignited? Unfortunately, I was thoroughly disappointed with his latest story.

Had I read of all his books without knowing when they were released, I would've guessed The Lost Symbol was his first novel. The structure showed some potential but the pace was slow, the action unexciting, the plot highly predictable and the denouement unsatisfying. This felt like the first novel of a promising yet unpolished writer. However, this is his fifth book and I expected much more. At times, I felt I was reading an old Emile Zola novel where the author extended scene descriptions because he got paid by the word. In this case, I had the feeling Dan Brown embarked on a journey that even he was uncertain of and confused by. It seemed that he extended scenes and explanations simply to fill 500 pages. Without spoiling anything, one of the main intrigues of this book is so obvious that you're almost angry at the author for thinking so little of the reader. The main character also gets duped more than once by a similar ploy. The only part of the book I enjoyed was the first 50 or so pages when it seems the pace will suddenly pick up and you'll be swept up by the story...unfortunately that never happens.

In the end, this felt like the work of a weak writer trying to copy the style of The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons but falling far short.

1.0 out of 5 stars The DaVinci Lost Symbol Code, Oct. 17 2009
F. Tristani "Reading Enthusiast" (Burlington, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Hardcover)
Take the DaVinci code, change it to Washington, use the Masons instead of the Church and have the protaganist run around and be chased by a bunch of paranoid individuals including a tattoed man instead of an Albino and viola, another book... I am glad this book was deeply discounted...

1.0 out of 5 stars They should have lost the manuscript!, Oct. 11 2009
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Hardcover)
I bought this book last week.

When a book is interesting, I devour it in a couple of days. In the last 6 days I've managed to read 58 pages of this book because it's so boring that I keep falling asleep!

I hope it picks up because there is no way I'm subjecting myself to much more of it unless it does.

IMHO if it makes the best sellers list it's only because his name is on the book, not because the book is a good one.

2.0 out of 5 stars bloated and boring, Oct. 5 2009
Andrea (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
[Cross-posted to LibraryThing and LivingSocial]

Oh Dan Brown. What happened? You had such momentum from The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons, neither of which were fantastically written but that had interesting stories and fast-paced plots. You had a good premise, expanding on the Masons that you'd touched on in Angels & Demons. You even had lots of time - The Lost Symbol didn't exactly get rushed to the printers. So what happened? Did you have a fight with your editor? Was your 'delete' key not working? Something must have happened because I can't think how else The Lost Symbol became so bloated and boring.

The focus in this instalment of Robert Langdon's adventures is on the Freemasons and there is a lot of information about their rituals, their symbols, and their legends. Most of it is interesting and relevant to the plot. But Brown also insists on adding extra information throughout the novel that serves no purpose other than to show how good Brown is at research. Instead of a tight storyline, where the information comes in as needed to develop characters or drive the plot forward, we get little bits of action broken up by long passages of information, much of which gets really repetitive after a while. By the last hundred pages or so, I couldn't care less what happened to Langdon or anyone else. I just wanted to be done with it and move on.

A common complaint in other reviews is that the novel reads more like a screenplay. I didn't really feel that way, although it did seem like Langdon's character was written as Tom Hanks much more than in the previous two books. Everyone else just felt like the same person, they all blended together with no distinct personalities. Another reason why I didn't care what happened at the end.

Overall: a disappointment, even for Dan Brown.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simply Poor Writing, June 28 2014
Shannon Moeser (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Paperback)
One of the poorest written books I have ever read. I'm glad I borrowed it from the library and didn't waste my money on it. Couldn't stomach the last 50 pages. (Written on Dec 25, 2009. Re-posted because Amazon misplaced my original review.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome As Always, April 7 2014
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Paperback)
I doubt I will ever have anything negative to say about Dan Brown and his books. As a casual reader I own all of his books and I adore him. Not only is he an awesome storyteller where you cannot put the book down. But he also weavers historical facts into his books that are very interesting. This specific book deals with the Free Masons and deals with George Washington and the founding fathers. I adore the book and cannot praise it enough.

Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked it, March 8 2014
Rhonda Willis "hockey fan" (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lost Symbol (Paperback)
It was what I've come to expect from Dan Brown. Intriguing, face-paced adventure with lots of surprising twists and turns

The Lost Symbol
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (Hardcover - Sept. 15 2009)
CDN$ 35.00 CDN$ 23.16