3,011 Reviews
 (1,250)

5.0 out of 5 stars Presents a different view on the Biblical story
The great thing about this book - and this applies to all Dan Brown's books which I've read - is that it presents art, science, religion and symbolism in a very easy-to-read and enjoyable adventure. You don't need to believe that Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene to read this book, because there is much more to it than just that! Enjoy it and you'll not regret it!
Published on May 24 2006 by Paula Madalina Dumitrascu

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm not Catholic and I still didn't like it.
Contrary to one reviewer's assessment, you don't have to be Catholic to find this book less than entertaining, enlightening, or both.
Published on Feb. 19 2004 by Anita Slusser

5.0 out of 5 stars Presents a different view on the Biblical story, May 24 2006
Paula Madalina Dumitrascu (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm not Catholic and I still didn't like it., Feb. 19 2004
What started out as a promising suspence thriller quickly degenerated into a strange theological lecture. If I had been in the market for strange theological lectures, this might have worked for me--though even then I might be tempted to say "so what". I'm not naive enough to say I don't know what the fuss is about, but though a devout believer in Christ, it doesn't affect me much--married, not married, childless, or not. I believe in his divinity and the arguments offered were not particularly bothersome or convincing.
But back to the fiction. The technique of leaving the reader hanging throughout the novel over and over again, strikes me as a cheap sort of trick for a writer who can't maintain suspense in an honest sort of way.
I must agree with those who critiqued the puzzles as sort of purile. Someone gave me this advice once which I would like to pass on to Dan Brown. Never try to write characters who are smarter than you are.
All in all, though, I have gained one bit of unexpected entertainment from this novel. I have enjoyed reading the reviews which are full of a passion and honesty entirely missing from the novel. So I add my voice to throng.

4.0 out of 5 stars Illustrations make the puzzle come alive, Aug. 22 2013
The presentation of DaVinci Code in this format makes a difference (illustrated version!). While I love the high concept and the absolute cleverness of the puzzles, when I originally read DaVinci Code in paperback, I was inclined to give a three stars. Why? The main character to me is too flat, even for a thriller, no real depth or convincing characteristics. Dialogue really bothered me. Where some novelists stop a novel to write mini-essays (Crichton comes to mind, but I enjoy those), long speeches from characters is less effective to me than narrative intrusion. But I still can't dismiss DaVinci code because it's just plain clever. I'm thinking more of the great puzzles than the outcome (the fictional outcome that seems to outrage everyone). I'm delighted (as a novelist) when a novelist breaks through in such a substantive way. Kudos to Dan Brown all the way. I'm a fan. But, frankly, I enjoyed his earlier novels far more (especially Deception Point and even Angels and Demons).

But this illustrated edition is magnificent. Clues I "missed" were readily apparent. Things I thought were just "narrative license" became feasible enough for suspended disbelief when the prose is juxtopositioned against these lush illustrations. The Last Supper rendering is better than reproductions in non fiction books in my library. It was really nice to see a novel in this format, even at this price tag.

And, again, I do think Dan Brown is high concept and successful for a reason. This just isn't my favorite of his novels. I read, recently, where he plans on sticking to this main character in all future novels. That's a shame, to me. His characters in Deception Point were far more engaging!

Overall, a good investment for your library. For a good read, yes, it's still a good read in spite of my quibbles on character and dialogue. Why? Because you can't beat those delightful puzzles and the high concept pitch. But I see DaVinci Code as fun, not controversial.

5.0 out of 5 stars theres a reason it is #1 best seller hahaha., April 18 2013
This review is from: The Da Vinci Code (Paperback)
AWESOME BOOK!
I will probably be reading this over and over again. The theories and ideas in this story really blow your mind. The story is very hard to put down and it moves very fluintly without stopping. It is a very easy read for anyone and the story itself is very clever and it feels like your sitting down with the main character Robert Langdon as he is trying to figure out the puzzles. If you are into history at all you should definitely give it a go. Im not a big reader and im VERY picky with what I read but man oh man, Dan Brown has got me hooked!

5.0 out of 5 stars a lot of questions book, March 27 2013
I loved reading this book!The story line is entertaining and gripping, i could not put the book down. But what is more amazing is how much material for personal research this book has provided. I had to see and read about all the controversial facts for myself, so it has been quite a journey over the last couple of years. My intellectual entertainment was very satisfying as a result; a very rewarding outcome i must say. If you have a curious mind and want to embark on the same journey as me, get this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vert good, March 13 2013
Nice to have the illustrations.
Having been to Paris and seen the museum - very helpful and handy reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Da Vinci Code, Jan. 30 2013
I am only about 1/3 of the way through it but it is gripping - I read until my eyes are simply too tired to read any more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book and here is another, March 27 2004
Peter Protenza (San Antonio, United States) - See all my reviews
After reading the "Da Vinci Code" my friend recommended another book, and I was equally amazed. You will find this book to be totally fascinating- "The Golden Milestone: Over 2500 Years of Italian Contributions to Civilization."

4.0 out of 5 stars Some of you people need to take a chill pill!, March 26 2004
Jason Webster "An Argonaut" (CA United States) - See all my reviews
First off this is fiction. If you like a good thriller, mystery, adventure I cannot see how you would not enjoy this book. If you are a fundamentalist Christian, or an academic type don't bother (its fiction!) you will only be upset if the book doesn't follow your view of the way the world should be. This is a very good beach read, but ten years from now no one will remember it so chill out!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's so Hollywood, but I love it!, Feb. 26 2004
The Da Vinci Code is a masterpiece of Dan Brown. The plot is really good and I can't stop reading it. The book is well-written and well-researched. You would know that this book does not aim to be the best seller but it has every quality of what good writing is all about. I love the way he conceptualized the book as fiction but mixed with elements of facts. It's been a long time that something like this has come out. Buy this book, and you won't regret it!

ARRAY(0xb1259ba0)

The Da Vinci Code: Special Illustrated Edition
The Da Vinci Code: Special Illustrated Edition by Dan Brown (Hardcover - Nov. 2 2004)
CDN$ 49.00 CDN$ 30.72