5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, Feb. 2 2012
D. Paine (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Litigators (Hardcover)
This is the second book by Grisham I have ever read because his stuff doesn't normally interest me but this book caught my attention and it was well worth reading. At times it was amusing (David running away from a high paying job to work with "has beens" and enjoying life while doing it). This book really proves that money isn't everything. I rate this book 5 stars because I plan on reading it again in a few years. I also recommend reading "The Testament" by John Grisham (I have read that book more than once).

5.0 out of 5 stars Integrity Counts . . . in a Humorous Study of Lawyers on the Prowl, Nov. 9 2011
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 122,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Litigators (Hardcover)
"Better is the poor who walks in his integrity
Than one perverse in his ways, though he be rich." -- Proverbs 28:6 (NKJV)

John Grisham takes readers on a humorous tour of what street lawyers (aka "ambulance chasers") do. He wisely chooses three different characters with wildly different motives and talents to make cautionary points for anyone thinking of hiring a lawyer at little or no cost. I thought it was Mr. Grisham's funniest book by a wide margin. My wife (who isn't a lawyer) saw little humor in it . . . but liked the story anyway.

You'll also get a great inside look at what small-time lawyers think about on a daily basis.

For the public, the book's big shocker may be realizing how little experience most lawyers have in litigation.

As always, Mr. Grisham does offer hope through redemption.

Bravo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Grisham with more humour than usual, June 1 2012
Kadi Kaljuste (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Litigators (Hardcover)
Having read most of John Grisham's novels, it wasn't surprising that this novel was true to form and an easy read. What was surprising was how humourous this book was relative to some of his others. The characters are real "characters" and, while there are certainly serious and touching story lines, there's a nice injection of lighter moments. A great book to take on vacation.

2.0 out of 5 stars THe Litigators, Nov. 15 2012
I've read every novel that Grisham has ever written and except for Playing for Pizza that is just a horrible book, I've liked all the others to various degrees; I like the lawyers' world Grisham sets his books in and the intrigues that he puts them through. But The Litigators is boring and confusing; there are so many characters and plots and sub-plots playing together that the novel ends up being just a maze of names and actions that he can't seem to pull together. I'm more than halfway through the book and that's it, I'm putting it down. I no longer care what will happen to the characters and how the intrigues will be resolved, I just want it to end. And I'm ending the novel myself this way instead of letting Grisham take me through another hundred pages of confusion. I very seldom not finish a book but this one is not worth my time!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull and tedious, Aug. 31 2012
Sorry but I found this book tedious and dull. The lawyers were lackluster in character and there seemed to be an endless amt of time to get to any kind of story. I was getting claustraphobic in their little office through much of the book. I love Grisham, have read everything of his but this one is dullsville. Skip it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!!, Nov. 11 2011
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Litigators (Hardcover)
Well, I had great plans to jot down some notes and quotes to share with you about John Grisham's newest book - The Litigators. Yeah, that didn't happen.... because it ended up being a non stop read for me - I picked it up on a Sunday morning and turned the last page late (late) that night.

I was hooked from the opening pages. David Zinc has toiled away at a prestigious law firm in relative obscurity for the last five years. Until the morning he realizes he can't do it anymore and walks away. And lands at the firm of Finley & Figg - ambulance chasers, divorce court specialists and anything else they can make a buck at. Although Wally and Oscar refer to the office as a 'boutique firm', they are anything but - Wally has just placed an ad for the firm on local bingo hall cards.

When Wally gets wind of a potentially big case involving a big name cholesterol drug. It seems folks taking it are suffering heart damage and even death. If they can find a few cases of their own and ride on the coat tails of the big players in a mass claim action suit, they could all be rich. It seems simple enough......and that's enough of the plot given away.

What made The Litigators a non stop read? The characters for sure. Wally and Oscar's tactics are cringe worthy, their actions walk a fine line between working for the law and breaking it, but you just can't help rooting for them in this David and Goliath fight. David is eminently likable as well. He is sense and reason, but with a new found freedom since escaping the big firm drudgery.The personal storyline involving his wife Helen also added much to the book.

It seems like Grisham has a lot of fun writing The Litigators - there is a sly sense of humour underlying the entire book. I laughed out loud many times at the situations and dialogue. It was eye opening to see the legal maneuvering - much of the machinations involving the drug companies and lawyers gave me pause and made me wonder how much of it is fact. Quite frightening actually.

The Litigators is by far one of Grisham's best in my opinion (and I've read them all) An absolutely entertaining page turner that will be a well deserved best seller!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Terrific Read", Jan. 20 2012
This review is from: The Litigators (Hardcover)
The Litigators Hard Copy Edition. A Book Club Read. We read The Litigators by John Grisham in a book club that I belong to. We loved everything about the story. And, believe you will enjoy it as much as we did.

"The Litigators," by talented writer John Grisham, is a page-turning read filled with the kind of courtroom suspense, stragies, and YES even courtroom theatrics that famed 'Perry Mason' would be proud of.

In my opinion, one of GRISHAM'S finest stories. This is one book that should be on everyone's "must read" list.

5.0 out of 5 stars A look into the life of the ambulance chasers., March 31 2014
John Grisham's The Litigators takes an interesting twist right near the beginning when an up and coming corporate lawyer simply runs away from his well paying job. He spends the day getting drunk in a bar and then takes a cab to the door of a law office whose address he reads on an advertising panel. He decides to work for the firm and suddenly finds himself thrown into a world very different from his expectations. Twist and turns abound! Captivating and fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a ride, March 16 2014
This review is from: The Litigators (Kindle Edition)
Hard to root for the mass tort group, but this unlikely underdog team was awesome. Quick pace, comedy and tension throughout.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Grisham, Jan. 15 2014
Keeps you reading to the end. Great pace to the writing. Good character development as the author always does. Some unrealistic parts but you don't realize it until you finish the book because you are caught up in the plot. Are people as evil and crooked as the characters in his books. That's scary!! If you like legal issues and a fast read that you can't put down then you must read this!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb058484c)

The Litigators
The Litigators by John Grisham (Hardcover - Oct. 25 2011)
CDN$ 31.00 CDN$ 19.44