5.0 out of 5 stars Grisham At His Finest!!!
Have read all the Grisham's thus far, and absolutely loved this book. This book kept me guessing throughout and reminds me of the writing style of his earlier novels (ie: Time To Kill, Runaway Jury and The Chamber). Would definately recommend this to anyone who likes a good read that will keep you interested and guessing!
Published 17 months ago by Lyle Steele

2.0 out of 5 stars Should Be Called "Money Grab"
Published 17 months ago by Jeffrey Swystun

2.0 out of 5 stars Should Be Called "Money Grab", Nov. 24 2012
Jeffrey Swystun (Toronto & Mont Tremblant) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Racketeer (Paperback)
And I am not referring to the plot. Kudos to Mr. Grisham for creating a unique style within the mystery genre but this effort was on auto-pilot. One only has to read the author's note at the end which is an admission of sorts. The least enjoyable aspect was the main character. In his past novels the Grisham formula includes a main character that you empathize with and root for. In The Racketeer, I was actually hoping that the plot would see Malcolm Bannister get duped. I expect the author will return to form and may even innovate again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grisham At His Finest!!!, Nov. 10 2012
Lyle Steele (Edmonton, Canada) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read anyway..., Nov. 5 2012
The Rich (Brantford, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Racketeer (Hardcover)
Definitely not one of Grisham's best. He decides, in this book, that he is a black man. I'm not sure what effect he was going for, but it doesn't work because not actually being black himself, he can't write as if he were. He mentions several times in the book that he is feeling like he stands out, but it's neither relevant nor believable. He says in the author's note at the end of the book that he did no research and that is obvious as you read the book. Simply put, the story is not believable at all. It involves a "pile" of little gold bars which he is able to carry around and use as if it were currency. Still, it is written by Grisham and is therefore worth a read if only for his writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Goes down easy, utterly forgettable, Nov. 10 2012
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Racketeer (Hardcover)
Grisham is writing as a black man, though I kept forgetting that he was supposedly black until he mentioned it again. Grisham is not really a suspense writer - his strength is writing books that go down smooth and easy. This one does that and tries to be a thriller as well with big twists and everything. The initial premise is thoroughly unbelievable and the twist that comes later even more so, primarily because the characters are not established with enough depth for us to believe in in much of anything they do. In spite of this, I don't really regret reading this. Love it or hate it, that's the power of Grisham.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Time, Jan. 19 2013
This review is from: The Racketeer (Kindle Edition)
First Grisham book I have read in years - will be the last. Uninteresting characters, boring plot that is not nearly as clever as the author seems to think. Starts off promising, but by half-way through becomes a plodding, implausible mess. Long before the ending I could not have cared less how it turned out. By the time I did reach the end I was sorry I had wasted my time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, but entertaining, Nov. 20 2012
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Racketeer (Hardcover)
John Grisham's last book - The Litigators - was one of my favourites by this award winning author. I was pretty excited to read his latest - The Racketeer.

Racketeer: "A person who commits crimes such as extortion, loansharking, bribery, and obstruction of justice in furtherance of illegal business activities."

Malcolm Bannister is a former attorney, currently serving time in the Frostburg, Maryland prison camp for money laundering. Trouble is, he swears he's innocent - he just picked the wrong client. License gone, wife gone, everything he had - gone. Five years into his sentence, he may have found a way out. He knows who killed Federal Judge Raymond Fawcett, found dead in his cabin retreat beside an empty safe. Can he bargain the killer's name for his freedom? And what about what was taken from the safe? There's a lot of people after that knowledge...

I love 'heist' and 'sting' type movies such as Ocean's Eleven. Grisham weaves his own take on the heist scenario with The Racketeer. And it's a great piece of storytelling. This is still a 'legal' thriller to a degree, but I think Grisham just had a lot of fun with this one. It's not a serious book, but an entertaining tale.

As he says in the author notes at the end: " The Racketeer is indeed a work of fiction. Accuracy was not deemed crucial. Long paragraphs of fiction were used to avoid looking up facts."

I chose to listen to this book. J.D. Jackson was the reader and his voice was perfectly suited to the main character. Macolm changes his speech patterns at one point and I did find the slower pace a bit annoying. I just wanted the story to move along.

The only reason I'm giving this a four instead of a five is that there was just something about Malcolm I didn't like. He's the one we should be rooting for, but I found him to be pompous and cocky. I never did feel sorry for him. Did he get what he deserved? In his eyes, yes. In mine - not really. I almost felt sorry for the 'bad guy'. I don't know that it was Malcolm's place to mete out judgment. In the end he's no better and his protestations of innocence at the beginning of the book are moot.

Still, I quite enjoyed it. Not his best, but entertaining nonetheless.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Long Con, April 6 2014
Pol Sixe "hpolvi" (Thornhill, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Racketeer (Kindle Edition)
A black lawyer is sent to a minimum security Federal Pen, as a jailhouse lawyer he learns some things and a plan develops to get out of jail before his time. Throughout the Feds, FBI and US Attorney, are ripped for abusing their powers, Malcolm/Max harbours a grudge. It takes awhile but the reader finally realizes there is a longer, bigger and complex plan being rolled out. Is our man a hero or a heel? A fair read, plot seems a little implausible in places, but so be it.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Rackeer, April 6 2014
This review is from: The Racketeer (Audio CD)
The service as usual was excellent the book was a little disappointing . I have read many of John Grisham books and I usually enjoy them but this one was not my favorite book.

4.0 out of 5 stars a great read, March 31 2014
This review is from: The Racketeer (Kindle Edition)
A wonderfully entertaining book which I had difficulty putting down. Escapist literature, I know, but none the worse for that. More, Mr. Grisham please!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of twists and turns, March 22 2014
This review is from: The Racketeer: A Novel (Paperback)
I liked this book, an easy read.
You never know what is going on until the ending.
The main character is brillant.,

ARRAY(0xb8dde7b0)

The Racketeer
The Racketeer by John Grisham (Hardcover - Oct. 23 2012)
CDN$ 32.00 CDN$ 20.06