summer boutiques-francophones vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on November 19, 2009
I could not put this book down. The plot keeps moving and twisting and creates much anticipation in the reader for what lies around the next turn - sometimes bordering on urgency and desperation. The characters are well-developed and realistic. You will really experience deep emotional reactions, whether to the peril and plight of the brave and innocent, or to the insults and injuries wreaked by the cowardly and wicked. Even the horses in the story are characters and heroes. This story is richly woven of so many different threads - survival in the wilderness and brutal weather; the small town rumor-mill; human jealousy, envy and pettiness; a case of mistaken identity; an innocent man wrongly accused; courtroom drama; family ties, loyalty and treachery. Truly one of the greatest novels I have ever read. Please do yourself a favour and read one of the most unforgettable stories ever written.
on August 6, 2013
David Adams Richards has done it again, reminding me why he is at the top of my contemporary author favourites list. As one of the earlier reviewers stated, even the horses pulling the sleds are fully developed characters. I found the details of the lumbering industry riveting and had no problem reading the descriptive passages. I for one am glad he included the details, as they drew me into the scenes and helped me understand what these men went through. Given the series of tragic misunderstandings and false speculations one after the other, I figured there was no way DAR could end this book on a satisfying note; however, at the last sentence, I said out loud, "Wow"! Like someone who has lost a pet and doesn't want to replace it right away, I couldn't imagine picking up another book of fiction before allowing this one to digest for awhile. It's a powerful book. What a writer he is.
on May 10, 2016
Richards understands the psych of the Miramichi area of early 20th century New Brunswick like no-one else. Friendship, love, hate, loyalty and hardship are explored in this engrossing story of a time now long gone. Parts will break your heart, others will warm it with memories tied to a simpler life. The lives described will cause you to reflect on the motives that drive people in desperate times. One of Richards best!
on April 27, 2010
The author is very good at developing an excellent story about different characters within a town and how tragic life can be. I read two of his books in a row and found that it was too much tragidy for me at once. I will read more of his books.