4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a nice way to gain insights into the lives of doctors and med school students in Canada. A very easy read! You don't have to be a doctor to find it interesting or to understand the subject mater.
Published on June 7 2009 by MD

3.0 out of 5 stars Clinically engaging.
Published on June 15 2007 by M. Catalano

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Clinically engaging., June 15 2007
This review is from: Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories (Paperback)
The author's style is stilted and clinical. The characters leave you with a faint taste of metal in your mouth or a squint as if you are looking at them from a distance. Somehow it all works. One shouldn't expect a book about a clinically detached scientific profession to read the same as One L for example. Different profession, different feel. If it were more empathetically written I'm not sure it would ring as true. If you are looking for the literary equivalent of a fast paced episode of ER or a soapy drama like Grey's Anatomy I suggest that you will want to look elsewhere though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, June 7 2009
MD (Toronto, ON) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Straight to the Heart, Jan. 7 2008
Anne Berndl - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories (Paperback)
As an Obstetric Resident, Bloodletting was like speaking to someone who truly felt the intensity of the day- to-day life of a physician. I couldn't put it down, and read the whole thing front to back sitting lopsided in an uncomfortable chair. His story "an insistent tide" stuck a particular cord with me, he did an excellent job of capturing the acuity of a cord prolapse and the emotions that accompany the shift from a normal healthy birth to an emergency situation. My heart was pounding. Well done!
-Dr. Anne Berndl, Author; "So You Want to Be a Doctor, Eh?"

4.0 out of 5 stars Bloodletting and Miraculous Cure, Feb. 20 2011
C. Lau (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories (Paperback)
I found the book thought provoking and emotional.
Great exterior. A few pages in bad condition, but considering the price- it was a steal!
Good delivery time.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit average, Nov. 14 2006
This review is from: Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories (Paperback)
This collection of short stories has some interesting moments, but the book is highly uneven, with some weak work towards the center that gets a bit better towards the end. This collection is not for readers who seek a memorable literary experience. The work is more akin to a reality TV show, and relies heavily on the drama that medicine affords gratis instead of literary virtuosity or masterful story telling.

5.0 out of 5 stars I don't read much but I enjoyed this book quite a lot, Aug. 11 2014
This review is from: Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories (Paperback)
Bought this book for school. I don't read much but I enjoyed this book quite a lot. Enough for me to actively get involved with discussions and write a final essay on it. Incredible book, I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bloodletting and Miraculou Cures, Oct. 13 2008
Mrs. Pam (Fonthill, ON, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories (Paperback)
I immensely enjoyed Boodletting and Mraculous Cures. I couldn't put it down. Dr. Lam's book not only gave me a greater appreciation of what our doctors must go through in order to get to be doctors, but also, at the end of the day, reminds us they are people too. People who are dead tired at the end of thier work day too. People who fight with their spouses, then have to go to work. People who suffer from alcohol and drug problems. But, like a small majority of our work force, people who, when called to do so, put their lives on the line for us, their patients.

Another book to read after Bloodletting, How Doctors Think.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average tale of the medical world, Jan. 11 2007
B. NH (Ottawa, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories (Paperback)
As a medical student myself, I did not find this collection of short stories to be that powerful, captivating nor truly interesting. It was a quick read, but the characters weren't memorable. The stories are life-like, but seeing as I live this everyday, didn't find the stories too entertaining.

For medical stories, I preferred Complications by Atul Gawande. Despite Complications' documentary style, it was informative, funny and enlightening.

5.0 out of 5 stars First, Do No Harm!, April 1 2006
bookworm (Riverview, New Brunswick, Canada) - See all my reviews
'Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures' is an excellent debut collection of stories, especially "How to Get Into Medical School Part I". Lam has created a number of recurring characters that I enjoyed following throughout the collection. The relationship between Fitzgerald and Ming is full of tension and disappointment which Lam handles with a deft hand.
Vincent Lam is a writer to watch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dissonant, Nov. 18 2006
G. Thomas (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories (Paperback)
This review is based on the first hundred pages or so (the first four stories), since I felt that was an appropriate amount of time spent waiting to be captivated, impressed, compelled to continue reading. Sadly I was not.

Reading this book has helped me to define the saying "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story". To explain: it is obvious that Lam has taken stories or anecdotes directly from what he has seen or heard in the medical field. With this I have no problem. But I can see where his desire to inform impedes on the story. To speak musically, the leitmotif of his Take All of Murphy is the scene where the characters suffer the moral dilemma of either satisfying medical procedure and cutting through the symbol (tattoo) of a man's life, or harmlessly slicing around it. An excellent idea (in fact it was someone's summary of that idea which moved me to pick up the book in the first place). Every little inflection and melody of the story should revolve around this moment. But Lam creates great discord by straying from the truth and trailing off into exposition. All of the italicised parts of this story (where we are shown snippets of past interviews and such) should have been cut. There is an overall sense of weakness in the prose. A lightness. There is no, shall I say, muscle to it.

This critique serves well for the first four stories I read. Some had good ideas (for this Lam earns a star), but they were drawn out, lost somewhere in mediocre craft, poor pacing, and a missing sense for mood.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories
Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures: Stories by Vincent Lam (Paperback - Sept. 26 2006)
CDN$ 17.95 CDN$ 12.96