4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Bryson ... Entertaining if not deep
Published on Oct. 11 2010 by C. J. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but messy read
Let me start by saying I love Bill Bryson, and I've been eagerly making my way through his collection. Therefore, I was salivating in anticipation of reading his "At Home" book. And I'm a Victorian buff (Judith Flanders's seminal study on the Victorian Home is amazing).

Published 20 months ago by Insomniac Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Bryson ... Entertaining if not deep, Oct. 11 2010
C. J. Thompson "Arctic John" (Pond Inlet, Nunavut Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Hardcover)
It is not possible to state, with any precision, what this book is about. It would probably be closer to say it is about just about everything as opposed to anything in particular. Mr Bryson uses the various rooms in his Victorian parsonage as inspiration for essay subjects and then skips onwards and upwards in ever more prodigious bounds to touch on the most disparate and delightful topics...

Did you know that ambergris is an intestinal accretion in sperm whales composed of partially digested squid beaks? I did know that actually, but it wasn't until I read this book that I learned that the substance has a vanilla like taste and Thomas Jefferson enjoyed eating it with eggs. Similarly, until delving into this rich little tome I remained totally ignorant of the unique method used by certain rats at a poultry market in Greenwich Village to steal eggs without breaking them (I won't spoil the book by spilling the secret here, though.)

Sometimes, Mr Bryson's research is a little shaky, indeed I noted one point where he is categorically wrong, but I bought this book for entertainment, not as a research tool for a doctoral thesis. Happily, that is exactly what I got.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Book About Pretty Much Everything, Oct. 22 2010
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Hardcover)
Bill Bryson has an inquisitive mind; when he sets out to learn the history of the dining room, for example, he does so by way of tracing the history of the spice trade as it impacted Britain, which of course leads to a discussion of the East India Company, but which also leads to an explanation as to why salt and pepper are the common condiments found on every dining room table, as well as the arrival of tea and coffee to the UK, the reason why dinner moved from a midday meal to one sometimes quite late at night and much much more. His new book, At Home: A Short History of Private Life, is a delightful wander through his own home, a former parsonage built in 1851, and while I'm not sure that I learned a lot about how specific rooms came to serve different purposes, I did learn a lot about, among other things, why the US became powerful when Canada did not (it has to do with the Erie Canal, which displaced the perfectly usable - and already existent - St. Lawrence Seaway as being the chief means of transporting goods to and from the interior of the continent), how cholera affected all classes though it was first considered a (deserved) disease of the poor, and why John Lubbock was so important to British history, yet so forgotten now. I read it straight through, but it would also work very well as a book to dip into from time to time, reading the odd chapter here and there, and giving one's brain the opportunity to absorb all the fascinating trivia included on every page. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars `You could say that the history of private life is the history of getting comfortable slowly.', Oct. 10 2010
Jennifer Cameron-Smith "Expect the Unexpected" (ACT, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Hardcover)
For many of us, history is about battles and wars and well-known historical figures. But these events and those lives take place amidst centuries in which most people quietly live their lives striving for food, shelter and a degree of comfort. Bill Bryson realised that we can learn more about history by looking at the homes in which we live, and how they have developed.

This led Bill Bryson to journey around his own home, an old rectory in the UK. As he travelled from room to room, considering how the home developed and how the functions of rooms have evolved over time, his research and reading uncovered some fascinating information. The book is organised by room, and the history behind each room leads us through topics as diverse as architecture, electricity and the telephone, food preservation, the search for and use of spices, epidemics, toilets, crinolines and servants. In surveying his home from cellar to attic, Bill Bryson provides information about the developments and inventions (such as the fireplace) that have enabled mankind to build bigger homes. The house Mr Bryson lives in was built in 1851, and while some aspects of the original design will be familiar to most of us almost 160 years later, the house itself has been adapted for the world of relative comfort enabled by electricity.

I found this book fascinating. Reading about how homes have evolved: consider the hall. Once the hall was the most important part of a home, now it exists as an antechamber- a place for donning, shedding and storing hats and coats. Moving from a communal hall to rooms with separate functions and purposes took time, relative prosperity - and servants. The book is crammed with anecdotes and facts and is supported by a bibliography for those who want to do more reading about the various topics covered.

There is a sobering thought, rather than a neat ending, in the conclusion:

`The greatest possible irony would be if in our endless quest to fill our lives with comfort and happiness we created a world that had neither.'

Jennifer Cameron-Smith

4.0 out of 5 stars A SHORT HISTORY ABOUT WHATEVER THE AUTHOR WANTS TO WRITE...,, April 10 2012
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Hardcover)
This book caught my attention, in part, because I have read other books by the author and enjoyed them. I was also drawn to the topic, which purported to be a short history on private life. Well, while I enjoyed it overall, the author definitely went off on tangents and did not really deliver what he promised.

The author used his own home, a nineteenth century rectory, as the starting point for each chapter, which is named after each room in his home, plus the garden. As he goes through each of the chapters, which are really somewhat like essays in which he ruminates about the room and the things associated with them, he does goes off in many directions that often have little to do with the room in question. It is as if each room were merely a vehicle for expounding on various historical references and issues that caught his fancy.

Still, I found it enjoyable and interesting, though I do wonder about some of the assertions the author made, especially since the book contained an extensive bibliography but no footnotes or sources for his "history". In the final analysis, the book is a hodgepodge of historical trivia, tidbits that are often interesting and amusing, but hardly elevate to a cohesive history of any kind. It is a work of pure self-indulgence by the author and a guilty pleasure for the reader.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Bryson, Dec 8 2010
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Hardcover)
I'm a long time fan of Bill Bryson. I jumped at the chance to read his newest book At Home.

The premise for the book was fascinating.' Bryson lives in a Victorian parsonage in a quiet part of England. He decided to go room by room and write about the history and impact on personal lives. So, for example the bedroom investigates sex, death, sleep, the bathroom - hygiene, the nursery- children's lives, the kitchen provides a wealth of subject matter. Indeed Bryson covers 17 different areas of his home, including the attic, stairs, the fuse box, the garden and many more. But if you think it's just household minutiae, you're mistaken. The narrative begins in the house buts slips out on tangents to encompass a much broader picture and then comes back full circle.

I loved At Home. It's not a book to be devoured, but rather slowly sipped and enjoyed. Bryson's investigative skills combined with his talent for turning those facts into absolutely captivating anecdotes made this a truly enjoyable read. I love British history and At Home was an entertaining account told in a totally unique manner.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but messy read, Nov. 18 2013

But "At Home" is disappointing. Sure, it's chock full of Brysonian tidbits. (I'm sure the man must be a Trivial Pursuit fiend.) But it jumps so inconsistently from one topic to another that it really drove me mad sometimes. Usually, I can't put a Bryson book down - I read it straight through. But this one is more of a pick it up, read a few pages, and then put it down for a week, maybe two.

In summary: it's a good read, but not up to Bryson's normal standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars At Home, Jan. 2 2012
I had this book read to me, on cd,by the author Bill Bryson. I had me totally captivated and I was looking for excuses to go for a drive to listen to more.The book was recommeded by a friend in Viet Nam. I ordered it right away...it was in my mailbox within48 hours. The author starts his journey when he enters an old house in England and traces the history of every room in the house through out history and takes some very exciting trips tracing man,s history. It tought me so much about background of mans development and how things could have been so different if we had taken a slightly different direction in history. I was spell bound throughout. I ordered another book by the same author right away,also on cd. Cant wait!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, Aug. 5 2011
Daniel Kelly - See all my reviews
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Hardcover)
What a wonderful book. I must admit the title didn't exactly grab my interest, and I might never have picked it up were it not for the fact that it was written by one of my favourite authors. I'm very glad I did. This is, to me, easily the most interesting work Bryson has done since his 'Short History of Nearly Everything'.
Bryson moves from room to room throughout his home and explains the history behind each both in a general manner and one specific to his actual house. The result is surprisingly fascinating. Who would have thought that a history of the fusebox could be so interesting?
I can't recommend this book enough. Treat yourself to a great read and buy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Bryson, Nov. 17 2010
A Kid's Review
At Home: A Short History of Private Life
This is classic Bryson. With the starting point being his own house in the UK, in Norfolk, Bryson delves into the history of all things common to everyday living, and opens up windows onto the past, and out into the world around us. His house in England is the inspiration for this study, but his scope is international. He takes us on a fascinating and highly readable exploration of the elements of our daily lives. His mastery of this sweep of knowledge is simply brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT!!!!!, Feb. 28 2015
Fascinant!!! Tellement intéressant et instructif. Et Bill Bryson a un humour qui fait en sorte que ça se lit comme un roman. Maintenant, je veux lire tout ce qu'il a écrit. C'est mon coup de coeur pour cette année (bon, ok, l'année vient juste de commencer...mais le livre qui détrônera celui-là a besoin d'être super bon!!!). J'aurais peut-être cependant dû acheter la version illustrée, ça m'aurait évité d'arrêter de lire à tout bout de champ pour faire une recherche sur le web.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

At Home: A Short History of Private Life
At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson (Hardcover - Oct. 5 2010)
CDN$ 34.95 CDN$ 22.13