march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

on February 28, 2015
Fascinant!!! Tellement intéressant et instructif. Et Bill Bryson a un humour qui fait en sorte que ça se lit comme un roman. Maintenant, je veux lire tout ce qu'il a écrit. C'est mon coup de coeur pour cette année (bon, ok, l'année vient juste de commencer...mais le livre qui détrônera celui-là a besoin d'être super bon!!!). J'aurais peut-être cependant dû acheter la version illustrée, ça m'aurait évité d'arrêter de lire à tout bout de champ pour faire une recherche sur le web.
on March 19, 2011
Some authors have that rare gift to take the drab, mundane, facts of history and make them sparkle and fascinate the reader...Bryson is one of these authors. I regretted getting to the end of 'At Home', but when I was done, I did check a few of his resources in book's bibliography. After a few days of checking a few items online, I was surprised at so much he had to leave out. There could be a sequel here, I hope.
Thank you, Bill for such an educational journey.
on September 27, 2013
I enjoyed this book very much, but some chapters at the end were a little long.

Overall, we see how homes have evolved enormously in the last 150-200 years in the Western world.

The last paragrahs of the book remind of so many things we take for granted: electricity, telephones, plumbing and therefore water, comfortable spaces in winter and summer, etc. were not so commonplace not so long ago.
on December 10, 2011
Another fascinating collection of historical facts and anecdotes from a master of chatty storytelling. However does he manage to uncover so many abstruse details? I love his friendly, rambley style of writing. "At Home" did not grab me as did Bryson's "Short History of Nearly Everything" but nevertheless an excellent read for plane or train, or just relaxing.
on March 13, 2014
What a fantastic book! The writer wrote in such a way that I felt like I was there. His easy to read style of writing makes that possible, I guess. I have a much greater appreciation for most of what I used take for granted in my everyday life. The information in this book in invaluable. I'm glad I chose to read it.
on November 29, 2012
Bill Bryson uses the example of his English home, a Victorian parsonage, as he moves from room to room, to take us on a journey of the historical background of ordinary household rooms and objects. In his usual fashion, Bryson uses his enormous amount of research to amuse and amaze.
on January 2, 2014
I am almost through the book - I am finding it to be completely engrossing (and sometimes gross - he is, after all, talking about housing and amenities going back centuries). I am amazed at the research that he does, and the humor with which he shares that research.
on August 9, 2014
I enjoy reading interesting historical facts and how and why they affected the period in which they occurred.
The book is well written and humorous. Is explains a lot of the reasons we have certain rules of behaviour today.
on January 18, 2016
The most beautifully written book, like all Bill Bryson books! I am his very long dedicated reader, I love his style of writing, his science based knowledge which he shares with such clarity, humour and brilliance.
on December 28, 2011
With this book, it seems like Bill Bryson is trying to top 'Sunburned Country' for witty and interesting historical and quasi-scientific trivia. He hit it way out of the park. Extraordinary.