4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Bryson ... Entertaining if not deep
It is not possible to state, with any precision, what this book is about. It would probably be closer to say it is about just about everything as opposed to anything in particular. Mr Bryson uses the various rooms in his Victorian parsonage as inspiration for essay subjects and then skips onwards and upwards in ever more prodigious bounds to touch on the most disparate...
Published on Oct. 11 2010 by C. J. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but messy read
Let me start by saying I love Bill Bryson, and I've been eagerly making my way through his collection. Therefore, I was salivating in anticipation of reading his "At Home" book. And I'm a Victorian buff (Judith Flanders's seminal study on the Victorian Home is amazing).

But "At Home" is disappointing. Sure, it's chock full of Brysonian tidbits. (I'm sure the...
Published 19 months ago by Insomniac Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Bill Does It Again, March 19 2011
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Hardcover)
Some authors have that rare gift to take the drab, mundane, facts of history and make them sparkle and fascinate the reader...Bryson is one of these authors. I regretted getting to the end of 'At Home', but when I was done, I did check a few of his resources in book's bibliography. After a few days of checking a few items online, I was surprised at so much he had to leave out. There could be a sequel here, I hope.
Thank you, Bill for such an educational journey.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting collection of anecdotes, Sept. 27 2013
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this book very much, but some chapters at the end were a little long.

Overall, we see how homes have evolved enormously in the last 150-200 years in the Western world.

The last paragrahs of the book remind of so many things we take for granted: electricity, telephones, plumbing and therefore water, comfortable spaces in winter and summer, etc. were not so commonplace not so long ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, Dec 10 2011
David (Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
Another fascinating collection of historical facts and anecdotes from a master of chatty storytelling. However does he manage to uncover so many abstruse details? I love his friendly, rambley style of writing. "At Home" did not grab me as did Bryson's "Short History of Nearly Everything" but nevertheless an excellent read for plane or train, or just relaxing.

5.0 out of 5 stars must read!, March 13 2014
What a fantastic book! The writer wrote in such a way that I felt like I was there. His easy to read style of writing makes that possible, I guess. I have a much greater appreciation for most of what I used take for granted in my everyday life. The information in this book in invaluable. I'm glad I chose to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Bill Bryson tour de force, Nov. 29 2012
Marjorie Tuck (Fonthill, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Bill Bryson uses the example of his English home, a Victorian parsonage, as he moves from room to room, to take us on a journey of the historical background of ordinary household rooms and objects. In his usual fashion, Bryson uses his enormous amount of research to amuse and amaze.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Bill Bryson - fascinating and funny, Jan. 2 2014
I am almost through the book - I am finding it to be completely engrossing (and sometimes gross - he is, after all, talking about housing and amenities going back centuries). I am amazed at the research that he does, and the humor with which he shares that research.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent book, Aug. 9 2014
I enjoy reading interesting historical facts and how and why they affected the period in which they occurred.
The book is well written and humorous. Is explains a lot of the reasons we have certain rules of behaviour today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bryson at His Finest, Dec 28 2011
Greg Tomkins (North Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
With this book, it seems like Bill Bryson is trying to top 'Sunburned Country' for witty and interesting historical and quasi-scientific trivia. He hit it way out of the park. Extraordinary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Bryson At Home, June 27 2012
If you love Bill Bryson, you'll love this absolute mine of information. How he links each room of the house to the interesting facts is just amazing. I just got lost in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, Jan. 9 2011
S. Barker (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Hardcover)
A typical Bill Bryson book - very readable, very interesting, thoroughly enjoyable. Highly recommended. Reveals a series of fascinating facts that I for one wasn't aware of.

At Home: A Short History of Private Life
At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson (Hardcover - Oct. 5 2010)
CDN$ 34.95 CDN$ 22.13