4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Bryson ... Entertaining if not deep
Published on Oct. 11 2010 by C. J. Thompson

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but messy read
Let me start by saying I love Bill Bryson, and I've been eagerly making my way through his collection. Therefore, I was salivating in anticipation of reading his "At Home" book. And I'm a Victorian buff (Judith Flanders's seminal study on the Victorian Home is amazing).

Published 8 months ago by Insomniac Reader

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Vintage Bryson ... Entertaining if not deep, Oct. 11 2010
C. J. Thompson "Arctic John" (Pond Inlet, Nunavut Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
It is not possible to state, with any precision, what this book is about. It would probably be closer to say it is about just about everything as opposed to anything in particular. Mr Bryson uses the various rooms in his Victorian parsonage as inspiration for essay subjects and then skips onwards and upwards in ever more prodigious bounds to touch on the most disparate and delightful topics...

Did you know that ambergris is an intestinal accretion in sperm whales composed of partially digested squid beaks? I did know that actually, but it wasn't until I read this book that I learned that the substance has a vanilla like taste and Thomas Jefferson enjoyed eating it with eggs. Similarly, until delving into this rich little tome I remained totally ignorant of the unique method used by certain rats at a poultry market in Greenwich Village to steal eggs without breaking them (I won't spoil the book by spilling the secret here, though.)

Sometimes, Mr Bryson's research is a little shaky, indeed I noted one point where he is categorically wrong, but I bought this book for entertainment, not as a research tool for a doctoral thesis. Happily, that is exactly what I got.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delightful Book About Pretty Much Everything, Oct. 22 2010
Alison S. Coad (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Bill Bryson has an inquisitive mind; when he sets out to learn the history of the dining room, for example, he does so by way of tracing the history of the spice trade as it impacted Britain, which of course leads to a discussion of the East India Company, but which also leads to an explanation as to why salt and pepper are the common condiments found on every dining room table, as well as the arrival of tea and coffee to the UK, the reason why dinner moved from a midday meal to one sometimes quite late at night and much much more. His new book, At Home: A Short History of Private Life, is a delightful wander through his own home, a former parsonage built in 1851, and while I'm not sure that I learned a lot about how specific rooms came to serve different purposes, I did learn a lot about, among other things, why the US became powerful when Canada did not (it has to do with the Erie Canal, which displaced the perfectly usable - and already existent - St. Lawrence Seaway as being the chief means of transporting goods to and from the interior of the continent), how cholera affected all classes though it was first considered a (deserved) disease of the poor, and why John Lubbock was so important to British history, yet so forgotten now. I read it straight through, but it would also work very well as a book to dip into from time to time, reading the odd chapter here and there, and giving one's brain the opportunity to absorb all the fascinating trivia included on every page. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars must read!, March 13 2014
What a fantastic book! The writer wrote in such a way that I felt like I was there. His easy to read style of writing makes that possible, I guess. I have a much greater appreciation for most of what I used take for granted in my everyday life. The information in this book in invaluable. I'm glad I chose to read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Bill Bryson - fascinating and funny, Jan. 2 2014
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Paperback)
I am almost through the book - I am finding it to be completely engrossing (and sometimes gross - he is, after all, talking about housing and amenities going back centuries). I am amazed at the research that he does, and the humor with which he shares that research.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but messy read, Nov. 18 2013
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Paperback)

But "At Home" is disappointing. Sure, it's chock full of Brysonian tidbits. (I'm sure the man must be a Trivial Pursuit fiend.) But it jumps so inconsistently from one topic to another that it really drove me mad sometimes. Usually, I can't put a Bryson book down - I read it straight through. But this one is more of a pick it up, read a few pages, and then put it down for a week, maybe two.

In summary: it's a good read, but not up to Bryson's normal standards.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting collection of anecdotes, Sept. 27 2013
I enjoyed this book very much, but some chapters at the end were a little long.

Overall, we see how homes have evolved enormously in the last 150-200 years in the Western world.

The last paragrahs of the book remind of so many things we take for granted: electricity, telephones, plumbing and therefore water, comfortable spaces in winter and summer, etc. were not so commonplace not so long ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars UK husband is a big fan, Feb. 4 2013
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Paperback)
My husband and I moved here from the UK 5 years ago and Bill Bryson is his fav!! He enjoyed this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Bill Bryson tour de force, Nov. 29 2012
Marjorie Tuck (Fonthill, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Paperback)
Bill Bryson uses the example of his English home, a Victorian parsonage, as he moves from room to room, to take us on a journey of the historical background of ordinary household rooms and objects. In his usual fashion, Bryson uses his enormous amount of research to amuse and amaze.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bill Bryson At Home, June 27 2012
This review is from: At Home: A Short History of Private Life (Paperback)
If you love Bill Bryson, you'll love this absolute mine of information. How he links each room of the house to the interesting facts is just amazing. I just got lost in it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A SHORT HISTORY ABOUT WHATEVER THE AUTHOR WANTS TO WRITE...,, April 10 2012
Lawyeraau (Balmoral Castle) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This book caught my attention, in part, because I have read other books by the author and enjoyed them. I was also drawn to the topic, which purported to be a short history on private life. Well, while I enjoyed it overall, the author definitely went off on tangents and did not really deliver what he promised.

The author used his own home, a nineteenth century rectory, as the starting point for each chapter, which is named after each room in his home, plus the garden. As he goes through each of the chapters, which are really somewhat like essays in which he ruminates about the room and the things associated with them, he does goes off in many directions that often have little to do with the room in question. It is as if each room were merely a vehicle for expounding on various historical references and issues that caught his fancy.

Still, I found it enjoyable and interesting, though I do wonder about some of the assertions the author made, especially since the book contained an extensive bibliography but no footnotes or sources for his "history". In the final analysis, the book is a hodgepodge of historical trivia, tidbits that are often interesting and amusing, but hardly elevate to a cohesive history of any kind. It is a work of pure self-indulgence by the author and a guilty pleasure for the reader.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

At Home: A Short History of Private Life
At Home: A Short History of Private Life by Bill Bryson (Paperback - Oct. 4 2011)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88