4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Read
I first came across Andrew Pyper when I read his novel Lost Girls and he immediately became one of my favourite authors. However as time went on I forgot Pyper and so I was pleasantly surprised to read an article of his in the Globe and Mail and discover this great Canadian author once more.

The Killing Circle is Pyper's fourth novel. Set in Toronto, the...
Published on Dec 14 2008 by NorthVan Dave

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd combo of literary fiction and horror
The Killing Circle wasn't a bad read, exactly, but I did find that I had some trouble with it. It reads as though the author was trying to combine the literary and horror genres. At times he succeeds, but at other times, the attempt just seems to slow down what's happening, nearly to the point where I had trouble reading through to when it began moving again...
Published 2 months ago by Mira

4.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Read, Dec 14 2008
This review is from: The Killing Circle (Hardcover)

The Killing Circle is Pyper's fourth novel. Set in Toronto, the author's hometown, the book focuses on a group of amateur writers getting together for a five week period. As the amateur authors gather and share their writing, the city of Toronto is gripped by a serial killer. Could the killer be one of the writers? How do the members of the group feel about one another? And why do the members of the group feel a though they are being followed?

Pyper does a great job of starting the novel out slowly. Characters are developed over a series of chapters and suspense continues to build in a natural fashion so that when the book does come to an end, you're left saying to yourself "wow, I never saw that coming".

In short I liked this book and I'm looking forward to reading Pyper's other novels too.

3.0 out of 5 stars An odd combo of literary fiction and horror, June 4 2014

Overall, though, I did like the mystery/horror aspect of the novel. The author did a good job of keeping the reader in suspense, and the ending was something that I didn't see coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars despairing and dark, June 3 2014
Richard Schwindt (Kingston, Ontario) - See all my reviews
I have been lured into the world of Pyper's novels a few times now. They are well written though perhaps a little more opaque than they could be. Their real strength is drawing you down into a dark place in your own mind, messing with your fears then doubling down. You like Patrick Rush; he has his flaws but fits nicely into the tradition of the protagonist who is determined to go to his fate despite a path littered with warning signs. He is a father - an ongoing Pyper theme - and this plays a central role in his view of the world. If you enjoy pure horror wait for a rainy week, read this then follow up with The Demonlogist.

4.0 out of 5 stars One Spooky Thriller, Aug. 8 2009
Toni Osborne "The Way I See It" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Killing Circle (Hardcover)
In "The Killing Circle", we are plunged into the complicated world of ones inner self, facing all kinds of voices and fantasies. We are particularly invited into the mind of Patrick Rush, an aspiring novelist.

Patrick wishing to unleash his own creativity joins Conrad White's writing workshop, a dark and mysterious group that meet each week to share their secret tales. Suffering from a mental block and a lack of fertile imagination he becomes frustrated and envious of Angela's tale of the Sandman. He plagiarise her story and submits it for publication. Problems arise when an eerie similarity is discovered between the novel and multiple murders that are being investigated by Toronto's police force. Paranoia sets into the group when one by one its members disappear.

This is one dark, very complex and compelling plot with very disturbing moments. Fear and obsession is palpable, the first person narration brings out the sense of dread and horror and provides an insight into the mind of a murderer. This novel played with my mind, there were moments when I felt like abandoning it but new developments piqued my interest, I stayed riveted to every word in order to find out the killer's identity.

Even with its interesting characters and steady moving pace this spooky thriller, full of bogeymen may not be for everyone one.

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't care, Nov. 13 2009
Eitan E. Wugalter (Toronto) - See all my reviews
This review is from: THE KILLING CIRCLE (Hardcover)
Even after reading 200 pages of The Killing Circle, I still didn't care what happened next. A terribly boring work !

The Killing Circle
The Killing Circle by Andrew Pyper (Hardcover - Aug. 5 2008)
Used & New from: CDN$ 2.94