Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Furniture Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star)show all reviews
on December 14, 2008
I first came across Andrew Pyper when I read his novel Lost Girls and he immediately became one of my favourite authors. However as time went on I forgot Pyper and so I was pleasantly surprised to read an article of his in the Globe and Mail and discover this great Canadian author once more.

The Killing Circle is Pyper's fourth novel. Set in Toronto, the author's hometown, the book focuses on a group of amateur writers getting together for a five week period. As the amateur authors gather and share their writing, the city of Toronto is gripped by a serial killer. Could the killer be one of the writers? How do the members of the group feel about one another? And why do the members of the group feel a though they are being followed?

Pyper does a great job of starting the novel out slowly. Characters are developed over a series of chapters and suspense continues to build in a natural fashion so that when the book does come to an end, you're left saying to yourself "wow, I never saw that coming".

In short I liked this book and I'm looking forward to reading Pyper's other novels too.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In "The Killing Circle", we are plunged into the complicated world of ones inner self, facing all kinds of voices and fantasies. We are particularly invited into the mind of Patrick Rush, an aspiring novelist.

Patrick wishing to unleash his own creativity joins Conrad White's writing workshop, a dark and mysterious group that meet each week to share their secret tales. Suffering from a mental block and a lack of fertile imagination he becomes frustrated and envious of Angela's tale of the Sandman. He plagiarise her story and submits it for publication. Problems arise when an eerie similarity is discovered between the novel and multiple murders that are being investigated by Toronto's police force. Paranoia sets into the group when one by one its members disappear.

This is one dark, very complex and compelling plot with very disturbing moments. Fear and obsession is palpable, the first person narration brings out the sense of dread and horror and provides an insight into the mind of a murderer. This novel played with my mind, there were moments when I felt like abandoning it but new developments piqued my interest, I stayed riveted to every word in order to find out the killer's identity.

Even with its interesting characters and steady moving pace this spooky thriller, full of bogeymen may not be for everyone one.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again