5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, compelling....
Wow....this is a book you need to read. Yes - need.

Quoting from the flyleaf of Little Bee:

Published on Feb. 23 2009 by Luanne Ollivier

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do much or me
I just didn't find this particularly believable. The story is quite heavy and without it being believable, it ends up being jut a downer.
Published 12 months ago by Rachel Mintz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, compelling...., Feb. 23 2009
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Bee (Hardcover)
Wow....this is a book you need to read. Yes - need.

Quoting from the flyleaf of Little Bee:

"We don't want to tell you too much about this book. It is truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless, you need to know something , so we will just say this: This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice. Two years later, they meet again. The story starts there. Once you have read it you'll want to tell everyone about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how it unfolds."

Okay I was sceptical when I first saw the flyleaf, but then I started to read, and I couldn't put it down. And guess what? - I 'm going to honour the request to not tell you what happens. I know - what kind of review is that? But I think this book is a journey every reader should take on their own. What I will tell you is that author Chris Cleave has created a powerful, moving, exceptional story. The idea was inspired by his childhood in West Africa and by a visit to a British immigration detention centre. The character of Little Bee and her views of the world and life are heartbreaking and compelling. Cleave has created amazing prose, such as:

"Learning the Queen's English is like scrubbing off the bright red varnish from your toenails, the morning after a dance. It takes a long time and there is always a little bit left at the end, a stain of red along the growing edges to remind you of the good time you had."

The narrative moves between Little Bee and Sarah. What is interesting are their differing views on the same events. All of the supporting characters, Sarah's husband, lover and son are all powerfully written, provoking strong reaction and emotion. There is some violence in the book, but it is integral to the story. The ending is heartbreaking, uplifting and gives hope to our future.

Strong stuff? Yes it is - but it's a book you'll be glad you read. As I work with new Canadians every day, I will be recommending this book to co workers. It forces you to see the world through a different set of eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars An audiobook to remember, March 25 2013
G. Petec "Gia" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Bee: A Novel (Audio CD)
Little Bee is about a Nigerian refugee. There are two main characters telling her story: herself and a British woman, Sarah. Each has a chapter and the chapters intertwine sequentially.
I've seen reviews with complaints, I guess no one was actually talking about the audiobook which I found fascinating.
I was happy for the bookmark feature as this book has tremendously beautiful metaphors that I wanted to remember. It is well read and well written. It generates feelings, emotions; it makes you laugh, it makes you cry. If this is not great literature then I do not know what is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing...accomplished...unforgettable., Jan. 3 2009
Schmadrian - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Bee (Hardcover)
This novel, told from multiple points of view, sears in at least as many ways, testimony to the author's abilities.

Having lived in the UK, I found myself nodding along with some of the sections, while wincing in others. 'Little Bee' manages to inform without resorting to preaching, and even the heightened drama bits were executed so well as to retain their effectiveness.

Mr. Cleave gets the voices right, gets the characters right, and in the end, gets the story right.

While not an 'easy read', the novel is more than worth the effort required to get through the heartbreaking passages. It reminds us of circumstances most are unfamiliar with, and of our -sometimes lacking- humanity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do much or me, Sept. 1 2013
This review is from: Little Bee (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Bee by Chris Cleave, July 18 2013
This review is from: Little Bee (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. It gives an insight into the troubles met by illegal immigrants. Some of the passages were difficult to read because of the brutality but necessary to the telling of the tale. I liked and empathized with the characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars same book, June 20 2013
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
This is the same book in UK it goes under this name In North America its called Little Bee some books do change titles

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rare 5 Star Read, Jan. 18 2012
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
This novel captured me from beginning to end. Full of tiny little shocks and recognitions, the plot is haunting and the narrative switches from the two main characters. It is suggested that the plot not be revealed so that others may enjoy this book without foreknowledge. So I won't. Suffice to say it is a must read. And I would read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Untold Story of the Dispossessed, Oct. 21 2011
This review is from: Little Bee (Paperback)
This is the first book I've read written by Chris Cleave, and found his crisp writing to be highly readable, entertaining, and at the same time Little Bee has that unmistakable power rekindling reader's interest exploring the painful reality that many fellow human beings go through every single day around the globe.

The central character Little Bee, whose real name is Udo, meaning peace, recollects childhood memories with her family, adventures with elder sister, and horror in the forms of boots and guns that came to their village, robbing her childhood innocence, while fleeing to a promised land does not bring that very promise of sheltering persecution from the paid thugs.

Involvement of a family of journalist, the 1 meter height "batman", gives this tragic story another dimension and perspective, from the eyes of a protector, who feels so helpless protecting a refugee child from the onslaught of endless bureaucracy, and bullets. Amid the gloom and waves of sorrow, also lies satire from Little Bee, whose "Queen English" describing the promised land, her native country's convoluted politics, though piercing, provide light way of responding to constricting cruelty with refreshing humor.

Great book and a great story! Kudos to the author Chris Cleave writing a courageous book for the dispossessed, and the world of refugees.

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating!!, Feb. 5 2011
Louise Jolly "Bookaholic" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Little Bee (Paperback)
Wow, I don't quite know how to go about reviewing this book as the publishers don't want to give away any of the story. There isn't even a synopsis of the novel on the book cover or inside the book!! So...I suppose I'll say that I was completely pulled into the story by `Little Bee', a sixteen-year-old `orphan' from Nigeria. Little Bee is one of two narrators, the other being Sarah who lives in England and is helping Little Bee.

I found the voices of Little Bee and Sarah captivating and couldn't see my way clear to even put the novel down until it was done. Now, I wish I hadn't read so quickly as I want to go back now and hear their voices again.

This was a wonderful story that was inspirational yet heartbreaking. You will come to deeply appreciate what we have in this country after reading Little Bee. You'll no longer take for granted the choices and decisions that you get to make of your own free will each day. Or, just enjoying the simple pleasures of every day life.

Little Bee will open your eyes in ways you hadn't thought possible. Kudos to Mr. Cleave for his ingenious ability to pen a novel that digs deep into your psyche without you even realizing that it's happening. A book for everyone!

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't like feeling like I SHOULD like a book, when it's terrible!, Feb. 7 2011
This review is from: Little Bee (Paperback)
I had a terrible time getting through this book! It has such excellent reviews, it felt like I had picked up the wrong book! Besides the fact that there is a completely unbelievably written child, this is probably the single, most depressing book I have ever read. As a result, it was a struggle to get through. I had to physically force myself to keep picking up the book to get through it.
The main character Little Bee makes for an interesting tragic heroine, but her one track mind (with regards to the many ways she will kill herself), gets beyond depressing.
Sara, the other antagonist, for the first three quarters of the book, is completely unlikeable. The very last bit of the book, she starts to turn around, but...well I won't give things away, but the end of the book, is ridiculous in the choices these adults make, feels very rushed given the dragging on and on of the first 3/4 of the book, and ends abruptly, leaving you feeling empty and dissatisfied.
I honestly feel like people say they like this book because it tackles difficult topics and forces the reader (by saying straight up) to pay attention to issues we are generally unaware of and try to ignore, choosing instead to remain hiding in our happy worlds. But that is not enough of a reason to enjoy a book, in my mind. I don't like being guilted into liking something and I would NOT recommend this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Little Bee
Little Bee by Chris Cleave (Hardcover - Feb. 10 2009)
Used & New from: CDN$ 0.42