5.0 out of 5 stars An audiobook to remember
Little Bee is about a Nigerian refugee. There are two main characters telling her story: herself and a British woman, Sarah. Each has a chapter and the chapters intertwine sequentially.
I've seen reviews with complaints, I guess no one was actually talking about the audiobook which I found fascinating.
I was happy for the bookmark feature as this book has...
Published 18 months ago by G. Petec

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do much or me
I just didn't find this particularly believable. The story is quite heavy and without it being believable, it ends up being jut a downer.
Published 12 months ago by Rachel Mintz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars An audiobook to remember, March 25 2013
G. Petec "Gia" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Bee: A Novel (Audio CD)
I was happy for the bookmark feature as this book has tremendously beautiful metaphors that I wanted to remember. It is well read and well written. It generates feelings, emotions; it makes you laugh, it makes you cry. If this is not great literature then I do not know what is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, compelling...., Feb. 23 2009
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Bee (Hardcover)
Wow....this is a book you need to read. Yes - need.

Quoting from the flyleaf of Little Bee:

"We don't want to tell you too much about this book. It is truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless, you need to know something , so we will just say this: This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice. Two years later, they meet again. The story starts there. Once you have read it you'll want to tell everyone about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how it unfolds."

Okay I was sceptical when I first saw the flyleaf, but then I started to read, and I couldn't put it down. And guess what? - I 'm going to honour the request to not tell you what happens. I know - what kind of review is that? But I think this book is a journey every reader should take on their own. What I will tell you is that author Chris Cleave has created a powerful, moving, exceptional story. The idea was inspired by his childhood in West Africa and by a visit to a British immigration detention centre. The character of Little Bee and her views of the world and life are heartbreaking and compelling. Cleave has created amazing prose, such as:

"Learning the Queen's English is like scrubbing off the bright red varnish from your toenails, the morning after a dance. It takes a long time and there is always a little bit left at the end, a stain of red along the growing edges to remind you of the good time you had."

The narrative moves between Little Bee and Sarah. What is interesting are their differing views on the same events. All of the supporting characters, Sarah's husband, lover and son are all powerfully written, provoking strong reaction and emotion. There is some violence in the book, but it is integral to the story. The ending is heartbreaking, uplifting and gives hope to our future.

Strong stuff? Yes it is - but it's a book you'll be glad you read. As I work with new Canadians every day, I will be recommending this book to co workers. It forces you to see the world through a different set of eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written, July 28 2011
Shelley T. Malo (Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Little Bee (Paperback)
There are only a handful of books that I love as much as I loved Little Bee. The story is so engaging and poignant that I could not put it down, even after I was finished the book. I felt so connected to the characters that the book stayed with me long after I read it.
The way the events of the story are unveiled is as captivating as the characters, all beautifully flawed and human. Cleave's ability to write a novel with such strong female protaganists is astounding, had I not known Cleave was male I might have thought that a woman wrote this novel, and now I really want there to be an Orange Prize for male authors so Cleave can be nominated.
I am grateful to Cleave for sharing this story and look forward to reading his other work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Cleave's Little Bee is a MUST READ, Feb. 4 2011
This review is from: Little Bee (Paperback)
Like the book jacket asks, I will not give away any part of this superbly written novel. However, I will say that this book is one of the most amazing, emotional, thought- provoking, intelligent, eloquent, honest, heart-wrenching, hopeful and essentially life changing books that I have ever read. It made me wonder what kind of a person I was, and what kind of a person would I be, faced with the same situations as these characters. I dare anyone to read this and not fall in love with Little Bee like I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing...accomplished...unforgettable., Jan. 3 2009
Schmadrian - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Little Bee (Hardcover)
This novel, told from multiple points of view, sears in at least as many ways, testimony to the author's abilities.

Having lived in the UK, I found myself nodding along with some of the sections, while wincing in others. 'Little Bee' manages to inform without resorting to preaching, and even the heightened drama bits were executed so well as to retain their effectiveness.

Mr. Cleave gets the voices right, gets the characters right, and in the end, gets the story right.

While not an 'easy read', the novel is more than worth the effort required to get through the heartbreaking passages. It reminds us of circumstances most are unfamiliar with, and of our -sometimes lacking- humanity.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't do much or me, Sept. 1 2013
This review is from: Little Bee (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Little Bee by Chris Cleave, July 18 2013
This review is from: Little Bee (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book. It gives an insight into the troubles met by illegal immigrants. Some of the passages were difficult to read because of the brutality but necessary to the telling of the tale. I liked and empathized with the characters.

3.0 out of 5 stars same book, June 20 2013
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
This is the same book in UK it goes under this name In North America its called Little Bee some books do change titles

5.0 out of 5 stars A Rare 5 Star Read, Jan. 18 2012
This review is from: The Other Hand (Paperback)
This novel captured me from beginning to end. Full of tiny little shocks and recognitions, the plot is haunting and the narrative switches from the two main characters. It is suggested that the plot not be revealed so that others may enjoy this book without foreknowledge. So I won't. Suffice to say it is a must read. And I would read again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Untold Story of the Dispossessed, Oct. 21 2011
This review is from: Little Bee (Paperback)
This is the first book I've read written by Chris Cleave, and found his crisp writing to be highly readable, entertaining, and at the same time Little Bee has that unmistakable power rekindling reader's interest exploring the painful reality that many fellow human beings go through every single day around the globe.

The central character Little Bee, whose real name is Udo, meaning peace, recollects childhood memories with her family, adventures with elder sister, and horror in the forms of boots and guns that came to their village, robbing her childhood innocence, while fleeing to a promised land does not bring that very promise of sheltering persecution from the paid thugs.

Involvement of a family of journalist, the 1 meter height "batman", gives this tragic story another dimension and perspective, from the eyes of a protector, who feels so helpless protecting a refugee child from the onslaught of endless bureaucracy, and bullets. Amid the gloom and waves of sorrow, also lies satire from Little Bee, whose "Queen English" describing the promised land, her native country's convoluted politics, though piercing, provide light way of responding to constricting cruelty with refreshing humor.

Great book and a great story! Kudos to the author Chris Cleave writing a courageous book for the dispossessed, and the world of refugees.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Little Bee
Little Bee by Chris Cleave (Hardcover - Feb. 10 2009)
Used & New from: CDN$ 6.73