5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of brilliant
Published on Aug. 7 2008 by ocelott

3.0 out of 5 stars Necromancer or just plain crazy
Of all the super powers imaginable, summoning the dead ranks as the worst. No wonder Chloe Saunders prefers to think she is crazy and willingly checks into a clinic; filling her body with meds. But once the other kids start believing in her powers, she will have no other choice than to investigate.

The book begins with such a gripping scene, that when Armstrong...
Published 13 months ago by Book Cupid

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing short of brilliant, Aug. 7 2008
ocelott (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) (Paperback)
The Summoning is set in the same world as Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series, but with a whole new cast of characters. Aimed at the YA crowd, the sex and violence themes have been toned down, but there's still plenty of meat for readers to dig into, and I never got the feeling things had been "dumbed down" for the younger readers. I blame my burnt dinner on the dark tone and the involving mystery, both of which kept me turning pages when I probably shouldn't have been.

Chloe makes for a great heroine. She's strong, smart, and easily relatable. I really liked her tendancy to stutter, a quirk I don't think I've seen used before in a protagonist, but it was a simple and effective way to portray the social awkwardness she feels. Chloe felt like a real teenager, with all the insecurities that go with the territory, but this wasn't 400 pages of whiny angst. She faced things that weren't fair, but then she turned around and did something to stand up for herself instead of crying into her pillow.

The story is full of smaller mysteries, all of them piling together naturally to create a bigger mystery that isn't solved by the end of the story. This is the first of a planned trilogy, and my only annoyance with the book is that I don't have the other two in my hands right now. It's very much a horror story, but with the hints of magic, romance, and teen drama, there's something here for everyone to fall in love with.

The long and short of it is, this book is everything Twilight wishes it could be and isn't. I highly recommend it to everyone who likes a little YA now and then, but you have to get your own copy. Mine stays here with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ghost Whisperer meets Supernatural, June 29 2014
This book was so engaging I never felt the need to skim it was action packed and enticing the whole way through.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Kelley, June 4 2014
She is awesome and you always love her characters! I have read almost all of her books. The TV series doesn't do her books justice at all!

3.0 out of 5 stars Necromancer or just plain crazy, July 31 2013
This review is from: The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) (Paperback)

The book begins with such a gripping scene, that when Armstrong slows down the pace to introduce the characters, one can't help but get bored. Every teenager in Lyle house possesses an eerie quality -- extra-strength, telekinesis, fire-starter -- and yet Armstrong taunts us by drowning the story with awkward romantic scenes, making us choose between two brothers; a hot passive sweetheart and an ugly aggressive bad boy.

One reason why the book is worth reading is the ending. Bold and shocking, it will leave you running to the bookstore in the middle of the night to find out what happens in the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kelley is the Queen, Feb. 7 2012
This review is from: The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) (Paperback)
I am a huge Kelley Armstrong fan. She is one of the best supernatural/fantasy writers in the business in my opinion. The Summoning is the 1st book in a series of YA books. Chole Saunders and the rest of the cast of characters are well rounded and believable. You become easily caught up in the story and root for the kids to get away from the evil Dr and his cronies. Book one is a great leader into "The Awakening" and so on. Read them all you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great YA novel!, March 11 2009
M. Jones "avid reader" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) (Paperback)
I can honestly say that I REALLY enjoyed this book. I had it finished in 24 hours, and I work full time so that's only reading evenings lol it is young adult literature, which I usually classify as early-mid teens, and even though I'm in my 20s I still loved it. It was interesting and fast-paced, so I never found myself getting bored and going, "get on with it!" It's even suspenceful and creepy, without being over the top. I found myself trying to predict the story along the way and I was almost always surprised. Even if I could predict an element, Ms. Armstrong still found a way to make it new. I think it's a great book about the supernatural, without all that touchy-feely romancy crap that seems to find it's way into almost every plot line.

I only have one complaint. To say that there was so much emphasis on Chloe's necromancy, I don't think Armstrong gave her NEARLY enough communication with the ghosts. Those were my favorite parts!

I am anxiously awaiting the sequel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!! If you liked Twilight, or the House of Night, then you'll LOVE this series!, May 19 2009
S. Jackson (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) (Paperback)
I love, love, love this series! It revolves around Chloe Saunders, a girl in high school, who gets shipped off to a house for troubled teens... only the kids at this house aren't what you'd expect. I don't want to ruin it for you, but if you liked any of the "Twilight" series, or the "House of Night" novels, then you will love this series! (I sooo can't wait for the third book to come out!) This is definately a must read! Trust me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, April 26 2009
J. Scully "withagoodbook" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) (Paperback)
Wow! That's my overall reaction to The Summoning, Kelley Armstrong's first foray into YA novels. In case you can't tell, I loved it! The Summoning is the first book in the Darkest Powers series, and tells the beginning of the story of 15-year-old Chloe Saunders, who like every teenager, just wants to be a normal girl with normal high school interests and problems.

At first it seems that Chloe might just be that normal girl. She has girlfriends, wants to go to the school dance, loves movies and is in the film club. Everything seems to be going according to plan, until one day when she starts seeing people that aren't there. At first Chloe assumes it must be her imagination, but when a mysterious janitor with severe burns chases her at school, Chloe understandably panics and reacts badly, landing her in a home for children with mental problems. Upon arrival at Lyle House, Chloe is relieved to see that it isn't so bad, and is determined to get well and get back to her normal life. But Lyle House turns out to be so much more than it originally appeared to be.

As always, Armstrong has created a well thought out, and completely believable world that despite being populated by supernatural beings, never feels unrealistic. And like her Women of the Otherworld series, she brings both the readers and the characters into the supernatural world slowly, giving the characters the same doubts that we as the reader would have if someone told us they could see people that weren't there. As everyone in the story struggles to keep their secrets, we're given little clues that let us know that things are not as normal as they may seem, but we're also kept guessing all the way along, making for an exciting and compelling tale.

The characters in The Summoning have more depth and personality than usually found in YA novels, and there are none of your standard jock, popular girl, and outcast stereotypes that often populate these novels, which is completely refreshing. The dialogue feels natural and flows well - with one slight exception. And this may just be a personal issue, but by the end of the novel I started to become frustrated by the fact that Chloe almost never gets to finish a sentence. This small issue in no way takes away from the wonderful story though.

The Summoning is a fantastic and original story that will keep you engrossed until the very end. And when you come to that end, be prepared - the story does not end with a nice little bow to wrap things up, but instead finishes on a bit of a cliffhanger. I'm really glad that I have book two of the series The Awakening on hand so I can find out what happens next, because I can't wait! I highly recommend Kelley Armstrong's The Summoning to everyone who enjoys a great supernatural tale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparison, Nov. 5 2011
This review is from: The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) (Paperback)
@ Parakeet Your really comparing this to twilight really? This is clearly better. If Derek decided to dump Chloe she wouldn't cry up in a ball like that Bella girl. She wouldn't try to kill herself to get him to notice her so thats where you fail twilight is a grabage book read some good literature

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong, Aug. 4 2011
Gwenyth Love (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) (Paperback)
I am a long-time fan of Ms. Kelley Armstrong. I first discovered her while doing some research on Canadian female writers. I quickly rushed out to purchase her first book, Bitten, and devoured it in a night. It had one of the most realistic descriptions of wolf shifting I had ever read. It made me squirm, but in a good way. It didn't take me long to catch up and read the whole series.

I have to admit, I was a tiny bit worried when I heard Kelley had written a YA series. I avoided it for a long time, not wanting it to ruin my thoughts about her writing. The only reason I finally picked up The Summoning was because it was one of the choices for my 2011 YA Summer Challenge.

Of course I should never have worried...

The typical Kelley Armstrong writing style I have come to know and love was just as strong in her YA novel as it has been in her adult novels. I was a little worried she might tone it down for the youngins, but she didn't. She didn't hold anything back at all.

The storyline was very intriguing, and kept me reading even through the slower sections. I could easily see and understand the need for the build-up, and therefore it didn't bother me as much as it does in other books where the build-up leads to a whole lot of nothing.

I felt parts of the story were very predictable, but that was equally balanced by events that surprised the heck out of me, even though they shouldn't have. I mean as I have already mentioned, I read a lot of Kelley Armstrong, and I know how she writes her characters, and when certain "symptoms" are there, I should know what's going to happen. I don't know how I missed it, but I'm glad I did. It was a wonderful little surprise.

I loved all the characters, even the evil ones. They had so much depth to them. I immediately fell in love with Derek, even though I feel like Kelley tried so hard (too hard) to make the reader not like him...I just knew that meant he was a character that would win our respect and adoration in the end. Chloe reminded me of a young Jamie Vegas (necromancer and celebrity medium from Kelley's Women of the Otherworld series).

Everything was going so well...the end was coming...things seemed to be pretty tied up...I knew there were two more books in the series, but it felt like book one was at a nice, and mostly neat end...

...and then...whammo....

...evil cliffhanger of DOOM!

I hate that...but of course I will read the other two...eventually...after my rage has subsided...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1)
The Summoning (Darkest Powers, Book 1) by Kelley Armstrong (Paperback - July 1 2008)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24