Oh I loved, loved, loved this book!

Published on Feb. 4 2009 by Luanne Ollivier

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor cover
Love the story, but purchased used, and was a bit disappointed in the condition of the cover. It was smelly and quite soiled - worse than I had expected, but my Granddaughter seems to like it as well.
Published 14 months ago by Jaquie Bunse

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most engaging characters I've ever met in a book...., Feb. 4 2009
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (#1 HALL OF FAME)    (REAL NAME)
Oh I loved, loved, loved this book!

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie introduces us to eleven year old Flavia DeLuce. She lives with her father and two sisters in an old mansion in 1950's England. The house is full of nooks and crannies - and a old chemistry lab. Flavia practices making poisons there. (yes poisons!) She and her older sisters are constantly thinking of ways to torment each other. Their eccentric father keeps himself occupied with his philatelic obsession.We are introduced to Flavia in the first paragraph of the novel....

"It was as black in the closet as old blood. They had shoved me in and locked the door. I breathed heavily through my nose, fighting desperately to remain calm. I tried counting to ten on every intake of breath, and to eight as I released each one slowly into the darkness. Luckily for me, they had pulled the gag so tightly into my open mouth that my nostrils were left unobstructed, and I was able to draw in one slow lungful after another of the stale, musty air."

Flavia escapes unharmed, but plans to pay her sisters back. However, the appearance of a dead bird with a postage stamp speared through it's beak and her father's horrified reaction distract her. But it is the dead body found in the cucumber patch that really enthralls her. When her father is arrested for the murder, Flavia sets out to solve the crime on her own.

Flavia is one of the most endearing, captivating, curious, beguiling, precocious characters I've ever discovered in the pages of a book. The crime is interesting, but it is Flavia's personality that is the real draw for me.

"Whenever I'm out of doors and find myself wanting to have a first-rate think, I fling myself down on my back, throw my arms and legs out so that I look like an asterisk, and gaze at the sky. For the first little while, I'm usually entertained by my 'floaters, those wormy little strings of protein that swim to and fro across one's field of vision like dark little galaxies. When I'm not in a hurry, I stand on my head to stir them, up, and then lie back to watch the show, as if it were an animated cinema film."

Although the idea of an eleven year old for a protagonist seems unusual for an adult detective novel, it just somehow works. Harriet the Spy for grown ups. (I really wanted to be Harriet when I was younger!)

This is the first in a series that Bradley has planned - The Buckshaw Chronicles. I will be on the edge of my seat waiting for the second!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll Go For Another Slice ..., Feb. 25 2009
Dave and Joe (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Wonderful writing, incredible detail, terrific story ... and a heroine who is 11 years old. After a few pages I had to stop, say to myself out loud 'suspend disbelief' and then will myself to accept the lead character as a possibility. After that bit of work, I had a romping good time. Flavia is a charmer, brave when she needs to be, girlish when she wants to be, clever constantly. I'll read more. The author would be well advised himself to remember that Flavia is 11 years old ... as I think on occasion in the writing of this book, he forgot that fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smarter, more modern, Nancy Drew, Jan. 3 2010
D. LeBeau - See all my reviews
Despite being set in post war Britain this book has modern sensibility and is a fun read. Like many other great novels, it is wonderful despite the age of the reader. Suspend your disbelief as to the age of the protagonist and let the sharp prose take you on an a dark and twisty ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Loved it, April 30 2015
This review is from: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Paperback)
Love, love, love this book. Flavia DeLuca is my new hero. What a wonderful, smart, quirky, hell-bent character! She is all about being an accomplished scientist - and poisoner - at age 11. I have rarely seen a young character this well-conceived and fully drawn. It is such a treat to read a story about a girl that doesn't focus on her looks or her crush on a boy, and who has more faults than attributes. Her little war against her older sister in which she tries to poison the lipstick is priceless. It's not so much that I approve of what she does as I am astonished at her resourcefulness and determination.

I am just as pleased with the author's writing style. I am VERY picky about the way novelist's write, and I have nothing but contempt for those whose ability to describe a character begins and ends with the character's hair colour. Alan Bradley's prose flows seamlessly. There are no rough patches. He manages to create scenes vividly without wasting the reader's time with "filler". He makes plenty of literary references, which I always enjoy. His style demands a bit of intelligence on the part of the reader. This book feels fresh and original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's as good as you hear., April 6 2015
Richard Schwindt (Kingston, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Alan Bradley, in his late sixties, added himself to the list of great mystery writers. Somehow he created a brilliantly morbid 11 year old girl with a gift for organic chemistry and investigation. He placed her in the English village of how many mysteries and made her completely original. Flavia De Luce finds a body on her family estate and to make matters gorier still, it isn't quite dead. Immune to tender sentiment, she takes on pursuit of the truth to protect her father but mostly because detection is what she was born to do. There are exotic stamps, household poisons and eccentric characters grappling with the truth, and the understated trauma of the fifties in post war Britain. Bradley is a fluent and skilled writer who clearly should have invented Flavia many years earlier. As a mystery writer I completely understand how she emerged with a life of her own. Don't miss this opportunity to start the series from the beginning. Highly recommended to any lover of mystery and YA novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun book, May 1 2010
Joseph Barry Garner (Agassiz, Bc, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Paperback)
This is a whodunit with protagonist 11-year old Flavia de Luce who lives with two older sisters and a remote father in a large ill kept English country house in 1950. The author has caught the atmosphere of 1950 in England very well. I spotted only one anomaly. Flavia is a very intelligent, precocious person with a strong knowledge of chemistry. To me she was quite a believable character since I knew a very similar (male) person dating from the same period. In those days, schools were much more relaxed in their demands on children outside of classes, and crimes against children were almost non-existent, so that children were given much greater freedom. We would wander everywhere without fear. The police are also represented correctly. Our local village policeman would cycle everywhere, extremely slowly, and behave in a benevolent and avuncular fashion. This was life before many people had automobiles, telephones were slow since calls would be routed through a manual exchange, still some food rationing and many furniture items in short supply. The pace of life was very slow.
The book is written from Flavia's perspective and is suitable for anyone who is able to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Add One Part Precocious Girl Detective, One Part Chemistry, and One Part Humor to Make for a Delicious Mystery Treat, May 2 2009
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Alan Bradley has a winner in junior detective, eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce, a self-taught chemist who is undaunted in getting her way. I predict that this is the beginning of a remarkable mystery series. If she can do all this at 11, imagine what she'll be able do to at 11 3/4!

After a late-night argument with her father, Flavia discovers the blackmailer dying in the yard. To her mind, her absent-minded father is suspect number one. She takes it upon herself to solve the mysteries of what the blackmail was all about, old crimes, and this death. Naturally, everyone wants her out of the way . . . including the murdered. But it takes a lot to slow down Flavia. Merely tying her up won't do it.

Whenever a story has a precocious child hero in it, there has to be lots of humor to season the story and make us interested in what's going on rather than being annoyed by the child's smugness. Mr. Bradley clearly understands that and adds a nice light touch throughout.

The book opens in a very tight, well-organized way . . . and begins to meander near the middle. With a little more editing down of this material, this source of sweetness could have been a much more memorable one.

The plot is delicious in its humorous intricacies that successfully build around postage stamps, chemistry, sleight-of-hand, hiding places, red herrings, and false tales. Clearly, Mr. Bradley has a wonderful imagination.

I can't wait for the next book in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written mystery., May 26 2014
This review is from: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Paperback)
This is one of my favourite mystery book I've read. The characters are incredibly unique and engaging. The detective in this story is Flavia de Luce, who is an 11 year old chemist who uses her special skills to track down a killer. Flavia is instantly lovable, her general disregard for the rules and strained relationship with her sisters will take her into the hearts of readers.

Definitely check out this great book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Flavia is a treasure, May 28 2012
Raymond Thompson (Kentville, Nova Scotia Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Paperback)
The central mystery is puzzling and the characters interestingly odd; but it's the protagonist who is the star of the show. Eleven-year-old Flavia de Luce is an inspired creation, who fascinates and entertains in equal measure as she sets about meeting all challenges with an admirable mixture of determination, shrewdness, and expertise in chemistry.

5.0 out of 5 stars You'll want to read this in one Sitting, Oct. 26 2010
Heather Pearson "Heather" (Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Flavia de Luces is the most interesting eleven year old that I have met in quite some time. Not only is she fascinated by poisons, so even uses them on her unsuspecting sisters. Love that special lipstick she makes for her eldest sister.

Now Flavia is not the only intriguing person in her household. Her mother Harriet is missing and presumed dead for many years. Dogger, Arthur Wellesley Dogger, is currently the gardener, but has performed a number of roles in the manner over the years. He continues to suffer flashbacks to the war. I also find Mrs. Mullet the cook unusual. She puts up with all the oddities of the family and never comments. I hope to see more of her in a future book. Finally, there is her father. He has quite the wide and varied background which is very slowly and deliberately revealed to us, but only in the slimmest of details.

I thorough loved this book. Were I a young teen I would have re-read it a half dozen times by now. The characters are so real that I immediately wanted to love or hate them or totally ignore them as irrelevant to me. The setting is so well described that I could imagine myself pedalling down the lane alongside of Flavia.

I highly recommend this novel to all, regardless of age, who enjoy a good mystery. I am looking forward to The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag, the next adventure in this series.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (Paperback - Nov. 10 2009)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40