Oh I loved, loved, loved this book!

Published on Feb. 4 2009 by Luanne Ollivier

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor cover
Love the story, but purchased used, and was a bit disappointed in the condition of the cover. It was smelly and quite soiled - worse than I had expected, but my Granddaughter seems to like it as well.
Published 1 month ago by Jaquie Bunse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most engaging characters I've ever met in a book...., Feb. 4 2009
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Oh I loved, loved, loved this book!

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie introduces us to eleven year old Flavia DeLuce. She lives with her father and two sisters in an old mansion in 1950's England. The house is full of nooks and crannies - and a old chemistry lab. Flavia practices making poisons there. (yes poisons!) She and her older sisters are constantly thinking of ways to torment each other. Their eccentric father keeps himself occupied with his philatelic obsession.We are introduced to Flavia in the first paragraph of the novel....

"It was as black in the closet as old blood. They had shoved me in and locked the door. I breathed heavily through my nose, fighting desperately to remain calm. I tried counting to ten on every intake of breath, and to eight as I released each one slowly into the darkness. Luckily for me, they had pulled the gag so tightly into my open mouth that my nostrils were left unobstructed, and I was able to draw in one slow lungful after another of the stale, musty air."

Flavia escapes unharmed, but plans to pay her sisters back. However, the appearance of a dead bird with a postage stamp speared through it's beak and her father's horrified reaction distract her. But it is the dead body found in the cucumber patch that really enthralls her. When her father is arrested for the murder, Flavia sets out to solve the crime on her own.

Flavia is one of the most endearing, captivating, curious, beguiling, precocious characters I've ever discovered in the pages of a book. The crime is interesting, but it is Flavia's personality that is the real draw for me.

"Whenever I'm out of doors and find myself wanting to have a first-rate think, I fling myself down on my back, throw my arms and legs out so that I look like an asterisk, and gaze at the sky. For the first little while, I'm usually entertained by my 'floaters, those wormy little strings of protein that swim to and fro across one's field of vision like dark little galaxies. When I'm not in a hurry, I stand on my head to stir them, up, and then lie back to watch the show, as if it were an animated cinema film."

Although the idea of an eleven year old for a protagonist seems unusual for an adult detective novel, it just somehow works. Harriet the Spy for grown ups. (I really wanted to be Harriet when I was younger!)

This is the first in a series that Bradley has planned - The Buckshaw Chronicles. I will be on the edge of my seat waiting for the second!

4.0 out of 5 stars I'll Go For Another Slice ..., Feb. 25 2009
Dave and Joe (Toronto, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Wonderful writing, incredible detail, terrific story ... and a heroine who is 11 years old. After a few pages I had to stop, say to myself out loud 'suspend disbelief' and then will myself to accept the lead character as a possibility. After that bit of work, I had a romping good time. Flavia is a charmer, brave when she needs to be, girlish when she wants to be, clever constantly. I'll read more. The author would be well advised himself to remember that Flavia is 11 years old ... as I think on occasion in the writing of this book, he forgot that fact.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor cover, March 16 2014
This review is from: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars New, fresh mystery, Feb. 3 2014
A new take on the old formula! Flavia is utterly engaging, and totally wonderful! Alan Bradley is a rising star in this genre. I look forward to reading all the rest!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flavia strikes again, Aug. 10 2013
The quirkily endearing 11 year old Flavia de Luce solves the mystery.

Recommended for British mystery lovers.

Enjoyable on Kindle.

3.0 out of 5 stars fun, silly, light, Aug. 7 2013
This was a nice light summer read. The main character is likeable enough that the reader easily forgives the implausibility of manynof the plot twists.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so _cozy_, June 20 2013
Bill - See all my reviews
I enjoy mystery novels that fit in the _cozy_ category -- that is, mystery, detection, character development without serial killers, forensic gore, or the supernatural. So Bradley's novels provide this; however, there is the deep blackness of the relationship between the main character, Flavia, and her sisters, which is bleak, ugly, and painful.

4.0 out of 5 stars delightful, June 11 2013
This book kept my interest throughout. It had interesting twists. Anyone who enjoys mysteries will like this book. It is easy to visualize the scenes from author,s descriptive use of words.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this book!, May 1 2013
V. Mait (Edmonton, Alberta) - See all my reviews
Very well written and highly enjoyed. I recommend this book. I look forward to the rest of the books in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars The first of a great series!, Jan. 2 2013
This review is from: The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (Paperback)
This was a fantastic read, right from the get-go! Alan Bradley
is amazing in his ability to channel an 11-year old female character.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xc1a42a5c)

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie
The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (Paperback - Nov. 10 2009)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40