Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage fallcleaning Cook Music Deals Store Fall Barbecue

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(4 star).show all reviews
on January 18, 2009
Kate Meaney is a ten year old girl who lives a solitary life; she fills her life with surveillance of banks and keeping notes in her detective's journal. Her pursuit in life is to prevent a bank robbery and to become a famous detective. She is pretty much left to herself and she wanders the streets and mall freely. Kate does befriend one girl at school in a distant sort of way and in the end Kate leaves this friend a priceless gift...the gift to escape her abusive life through education.

This young ten year old detective one day disappears and her body is never found. An adult friend is taken in and questioned and blamed for the murder, but no proof is ever found, so no charges are ever laid.

The book jumps back and forth from 1984, 2003 and 2004. The first part of the book has us following Kate around town with her stuffed monkey performing detective work; it is quite charming and heart breaking, because she is so isolated from real childhood. Kate disappears and then the book follows characters that were affected or involved in some way with her disappearance.

I found myself laughing at some of the retail experiences in the book, they could only have been written by someone who has experienced the retail world first hand, and it turns out that Catherine O'Flynn at one time was a record store clerk. "What Was Lost" does have a depressing look out on regular everyday life and it seems to portray the idea that we all generally live in drudgery; hopefully we do find more joy in life than this book portrays. All in all it was a great story and it made me ponder about my life and the life of others and it has inspired me to "carpe diem".
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on February 20, 2009
I'm not quite sure what to say about this novel. In fact I'm not even sure where I heard about it from. What's the book about?

Well it is the story of a little girl named Kate Meaney who is 10 years old and likes to play detective. Then one day she disappears. Fast forward several years later and those people who touched Kate's life end up finding each other and trying to find meaning in her disappearance.

I like the writing style of this book. Catherine O'Flynn has a way with words that kept me hooked, even though this isn't the sort of novel that I would generally read. The characters were also compelling in that I wanted to know what would become of them. And that, I think, is the mark of a good story teller.

While I wasn't totally won over by What Was Lost, I don't regret the time I spent reading it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again