4.0 out of 5 stars Remember Paris?!
(...)Hemingway remains one of my favourite writers. I am not sure if Paula banked on Hemingway's work being cherished by millions when she selected the topic, I strongly suspect she did. And I dare say she was not disappointed, the book is a success.
Published on Nov. 14 2011 by G. Petec

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been exciting...
The Paris Wife is a well-researched fictional account of Ernest Hemingway's early years from the point of view of Hadley Richardson, his first wife (of four).

Published on April 7 2011 by wabibito

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Remember Paris?!, Nov. 14 2011
G. Petec "Gia" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Hardcover)
I devoured it. Some of the critics I respect did not give the book too much credit because it hangs on so tightly to the reality of Hemingway's existence and depicts Hadley, his first wife, 'the Paris wife', as a weak melodramatic of sorts, who you sympathise with but also want to slap out of her misery. Finally, after five years of being in his shadow, following him around like a well trained puppy, she has the opportunity to do something for herself: the piano concert; she has everything prepared and a booked full house but she does not find the strength to go on with it because it coincides with the moment when Hem is leaving her. I expected Hadley to react differently up until one point when I realised she will not, that she will patiently let herself driven all the way through as long as Earnest would stand it. Then I tolerantly followed along and enjoyed the story and the times, the wonderful animated twenties. (...)
For the entire review go to allwords.ca

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been exciting..., April 7 2011
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Hardcover)

Before I delve into the review, a bit about me - I prefer reading non-fiction over fiction. Upon reflection, I think it is because prose can make or break a book for me and in my experience, more often than not, it breaks. Novels can be particularly prone to hollow voices, unconvincing dialogue and painful efforts to move a story along.

I think I could really have enjoyed The Paris Wife, but for the prose. It contained so much material that could be exciting subject matter for a novel: Paris in the 1920s, eccentric artists, bohemian values, travel, great love affairs, cameos by F. Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, Ezra Pound and, of course, the giant personality that was Ernest Hemingway himself! I was so looking forward to reading about all of the above.

McLain is a good writer, so I managed to get through the novel, but despite the great many interesting events in Richardson and Hemingway's life, the characters and their circumstances never managed to come alive for me. Hadley's narrative, and even Ernest's voice, came across flat and boring. But, I do think many people will love this book - the reviews on Amazon are overwhelmingly positive. Maybe it is because I am not a big fiction reader that it didn't do much for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars I simply loved reading this book, Oct. 21 2014
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Paperback)
I simply loved reading this book. It wasn't hard to get into the story, as it is based on the life of Ernest Hemingway. That era of writers is fascinating as they all struggled to get published, while hanging out in Paris and living a life of partying, drinking and seemingly a glamorous life. Hemingway was a womanizer which made it so difficult for his "Paris" wife.

4.0 out of 5 stars love, lust, debauchery,greed, and great tragedy, July 13 2014
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Kindle Edition)
Do you mean to say to whom would you recommend this book.? One of the reasons for only 4 stars was the poor grammar at times. However, I felt his could be excused since the narrative was written as if by Hadley.
The reader is drawn Into the lives and lifestyle of the two central characters who quickly become acquaintances I felt most connected to Hadley and despite the fact that her life was happy again, I still felt her great sense if a real love which was kost

4.0 out of 5 stars well done, June 28 2014
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Kindle Edition)
The story of Hadley and her life with Ernest Hemingway was obviously well researched and beautifully executed. I felt as if I got to know her personally. Well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loving too much but it's not enough; finding the strength and courage to free yourself., April 30 2014
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Kindle Edition)
Liked the book, enjoyed going back in time. These people were real - living their lives of pure unadulterated freedom, nothing holding them back, making their own rules and bending to no one.

Women afraid of leaving their husbands after knowing of an affair and feeling fear of the unknown should read this book.

As much as I liked this book, Hadley and Hems relationship grated on my tolerance and I found myself forced to try very hard to understand their contract.

3.0 out of 5 stars Set in Paris...I'm in., Nov. 24 2013
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Paperback)
I just simply love anything Hemingway and for that reason alone this is worth the read. It is a well written but not brilliant novel about Hadley Richardson's marriage to Hemingway in the 1920s. It is a tragic account of tormented love and the abuse Richardson survived living with the complex and self-destructive Hemingway. The reader is drawn into the interior life of the often rejected Hadley while her talented husband finds love and lust in the arms of many other women including the one he finally leaves Hadley for: the seductress Pauline Pfeiffer. I had a hard time understanding Hemingway as lovable so therefore could not relate to Hadley's despair at losing him. The novel is generally well written but does an injustice, in my estimation, to its main character Hadley. It makes her out to be a little thick and frumpy and absolutely lost without her man. I'm quite sure there was more substance to her that the author cares to divulge.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the more enjoyable Hemingway stories, July 14 2013
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Kindle Edition)
There are so many Hemingway books, this is by his first wife and their time in Paris. A fascinating look at the life of the literary expatriates in Paris after WW1. Well written, a good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars With Wonder, July 7 2013
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Kindle Edition)
With wonderful imagination, McClain manages to capture an inspirational time for literature by intersecting the astonishing lust for the best of life in limbo between two horribly tragic historical events with the equally astonishing stories (Fiction or otherwise) of writers who were writing words we can only feast on with imagination. Two Thumbs Way Up!

4.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing..., June 23 2013
C8 Sparrow "beach reader" (Edmonton, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Paris Wife (Paperback)
This story swept me away to the streets of Paris. I became entrenched in the life and love of these two very complex people, Ernest and Hadley Hemmingway. When Ernest wasn't a boorish narcissist he was a loving husband and father. Hadley stood by her man, even through a painful and public affair. My heart ached for her in her desperation to hold onto the man she adored. But when she finally arrived at the resolve to break free from his orbit, I cheered. In spite of the years that passed between them they never stopped loving each other. The author tells the story in rich and lasting prose. I savoured the last few pages - reserved them for a quiet moment - closed the book and wept.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Paris Wife
The Paris Wife by Paula McLain (Hardcover - Feb. 22 2011)
CDN$ 29.95 CDN$ 17.78