countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Furniture All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 7, 2016
Absolutely wonderful read - I love the history the author provides during and after the novel - have purchased a package of Hemingway's books to enjoy and will now understand the dynamics
on June 17, 2016
I loved how this book took me to the 1920's exactly as I imagined it. Every word made me realize how intense of a love that Hadley and Ernest shared. They were true soul mates, but love is never enough for an artist. This is what it comes down to in this book. Their relationship was intense and full of doubt by the end. I recommend this book for anyone that loves Hemingway's style of writing. Paula McLain truly captures the style of writing that Hemingway created. The simplicity of the phrases and the attraction of the words; how you can say so much with a few words and short dialogue. I loved this book and by the last chapter, I was crying. I felt the deep love and the sadness at how it had to end...a book for romantics and for the revival of the 1920's. I am sure I was there in a past life.
on April 1, 2016
Captivating and well written.. Highly recommend..
on March 24, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Although fiction but based on real people it prompted me to research Ernest Hemingway and his life including the women in his life. Any book that makes you want more information is a worthy read!
on March 14, 2016
I thoroughly enjoyed riding alongside the arrogance and genius of the famous authors and poets of the day. Having a glimpse into their day to day struggles, high and lows, was both inspiring, humbling and human.
on February 12, 2016
great
on February 11, 2016
This book was well written. However I had trouble identifying with the characters especially with Hemingway. This book was meant to represent the characters as they were in "real" life. Not familiar with Hemingway's work I was frustrated with him and felt he was not a nice man. I was motivated to finish it because I really wanted to like him. In the end I was glad I had read it, because I did get a glimpse of that era. Although I had a hard time relating to the "lifestyle" I felt Paula Mclain wrote an honest and interesting story. She made no apologies, nor try to represent Hemingway in any other way than what he was - it is what it is!
on December 31, 2015
Fantastic book. Great story.
on November 26, 2015
Enjoyed this book very much! Bought it after I had read another book from this author.
on November 20, 2015
Paula Mclain writes in a direct style which in its straightforwardness mimics the style of the central character of the novel, Ernest Hemingway. Strangely, I knew Hemingway's family in Michigan many years ago, and can attest to the accuracy of the facts used in this semi-historical novel. The book brought forward not only the character of Hemingway, but the frothy times in which he and his Paris wife lived in that city. The wife's character becomes pivotal to the development of the author's notorious life, and adds a dimension of humanity and realism.