Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

• 1Q84

Format: HardcoverChange

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star).Show all reviews
on February 7, 2012
I am definitely a Murakami fan, even though I think a lot of his books are a bit formulaic (young teenage girl and middle aged man team up, heading on a wacky adventure filled with cats, unexplainable events, and overly detailed descriptions of food and clothing).

This book would probably have gotten 4 stars out of me had it been 300-500 pages. It was simply too drawn out and overly descriptive, with many points (such as the two moons and Aomame's breasts) talked about over and over and over. I finished it because I DID want to know what happened at the end, but like many Murakami stories, you have to take the story as your own and make up an ending for yourself, as a lot is just left unclear.

I wouldn't say don't read this, but in the time it takes to read all 1000 of these pages, you could read 2-3 of his other more succinct books.

Overall: I was disappointed, though not upset I read it to the end.
on September 15, 2013
I found the first volume quite captivating and the characters were well introduced. Then the story began to lose its focus. It was too long and rather pointless towards the end. Many things did not get resolved or explained clearly. Besides the love story and the revenge launched towards domestic abuse, nothing really made much sense.
on August 2, 2012
I got this book because I had heard so many wonderful things about Murakami's work. I was not a literature major and do not claim to be an expert in Japanese literature. I simply read books to be entertained, stimulated. The book was a disappointment to me. The story is simple but overly long, and in many cases repetitive. The protagonists were very much card board figures and no amount of (repetitive) description of what they ate and drank, how they looked, and their first encounter with each other in childhood, did not bring them life to me. After half way through the book I was bored and did not care what happened to either of them. I read the rave reviews and I keep thinking I must have missed something, that was not the book I read. I give the book 2 stars.
By the way I am a Japanese speaker, born and raised in Japan and English is my second language.