One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. So if you are wanting a different result you have to change what you are doing. Or else there is that whole insanity thing staring you in the face.

Published on March 16 2012 by fastreader

2.0 out of 5 stars High stories to substance ratio
Published on March 18 2012 by Moshe Farjoun

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Doing the same stupid thing over and over ? Fix it with this book !!, March 16 2012
fastreader - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business (Hardcover)

In the Power of Habit the author Charles Duhigg links to the insanity (se above) of people expecting to change an outcome without changing the input or process. In the book these three points in the process are called Cue - Routine - Reward.

Simple, yet complex. As in any endeavour to deconstruct or reverse engineer anything to do with humans, the devil is in the details. What looks like something simple upon first observation, becomes increasingly complex as you peel away the layers. Humans are emotional and non linear. Plus just to make life interesting, and it does, we all sing along to a different playbook. One that is created by who you are, who your relatives are, who you run into in life, karma (had to throw that one in), your education and how you use all this to problem solve.

The Cue, Routine, Reward trilogy is an attempt to simplify the process and it works. The author gives us examples where changes to the routine can have sometimes dramatic changes. Sometimes the changes to the routine are small and sometimes they are large.

The author goes further in that he starts with humans and then moves onto organizations and societies using the same trilogy of cue, routine, and reward.

For anyone who wants at least a small chance of understanding why we do what we do, why organizations and society acts as it does this book will be insightful and instructive.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rock-solid framework for "understanding how habits work and a guide for experimenting with how they might change", April 20 2012
Robert Morris (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This is not an easy book to describe because Charles Duhigg offers such a wealth of information in so many different areas. For example:

o What a habit is...and isn't
o What the habit loop is and does
o How and why we form good and bad habits
o Why it is so difficult to sustain good habits and so easy to sustain bad ones
o Which external influences most effectively manipulate both good and bad habits
o How to defend good habits
o How to break bad habits
o How and why our habits reveal our values

In Part One, Duhigg focuses on how habits emerge within individual lives (e.g. ; in the next, he examines the habits of successful companies and organizations; and then in Part Three, he looks at the habits of societies. "We now know why habits emerge, how they change, and the science behind their mechanics. We know how to break them into parts and rebuild them to our specifications. We know how to make people eat less, exercise more, work more efficiently, and live healthier lives. Transforming a habit isn't necessarily easy or quick. It isn't always simple. But it is possible. And now we know why."

There in a brief passage is the essence of what motivated Duhigg to write this book and also perhaps, just perhaps, a sufficient reason for people who read it to then rebuild their habits to their expectations, based on what they have learned from the book.

One of Duhigg's most valuable insights (among the several dozen he shares) is that organizations as well as individuals can develop bad habits or allow them to develop. For example, tolerating incivility and thus condoning it, conducting performance evaluations unfairly and/or inconsistently, and under-valuing employees and/or customers. However, in that event, only individuals can break those organizational bad habits and only if their habits are equal to that challenge. Duhigg devotes all of Part Two (Chapters 4-7) an explanation of how best to respond to that challenge. Stephen Covey also has much of value to say about what meeting that challenge requires of people in his classic, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change.

4.0 out of 5 stars FREE WILL MAY BE MORE COMPLICATED THAN WE FIRST THOUGHT, May 17 2014
This book was a gift. On first reading, I realized it was a reasonable, more accurate explanation of a process known to all of us. In my world everything is not super, or perfect, or self actualized. It is normal. This book is above the norm. It is thoughtfully presented ideas. The science explained to support the conclusion was consistent with research on behavioural psychology and what I know about brain chemistry.

I found it so useful, I bought a copy for another friend. Easily recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars High stories to substance ratio, March 18 2012
Moshe Farjoun (Canada) - See all my reviews
I had high expectations for this book. I did get some insights but my interest stopped midway. A main problem with this 'popular science' genre can be captured by the ratio of stories to substance. The author, no doubt an accomplished writer, is at his best when telling stories. He is a good writer and is able to make abstract ideas accessible. However, when it comes to substance, there is little new in this book. Notions such as reinforcement, conditioning and routines have been around since the 1940s. Also, the author ignores or simplifies many things about habits such as their creative role, the way they relate to beliefs, surprises and social interaction and on. We also know that habits are not completely mindless and do not require repetition to exist. I do not admire this genre although I can see how it may address some readers' needs. I wish we get rid of this habit and have instead books with a more balance between wisdom and folklore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort to Know that habits CAN and SHOULD be changed, May 22 2014
Great, and still reading it. Lots of good info about losing weight or finishing with addictions,.
Good for a business too, how to motivate and inspire your employees. Great information
about Starbucks and WHY those people are always so nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book - Opens Up Your Mind to How Habits are Formed, April 2 2014
This book opened my mind to how habits are formed and changed. I can now use the knowledge to improve my understanding about people around me, my own behaviors and responses to various things and so much more... It's a whole new world out there for me now as I have started questioning myself why I do what I do in life, career and business.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book !, March 5 2014
I literally loved this book. Very instructive. Lots of examples can be used to change some of our habits. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, June 3 2013
A very interesting read, ending up in my top favourites easily. Very cool studies are included to back up the information. I will read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful., May 19 2013
What's been my problem has been dealt with in this book. After you read this book, you feel you have more control over your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting, April 10 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone trying to make some changes in their lives...This book will give you another view on your habits and you can tweak them...Moreover it's backed by scientific evidence. A Must read!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg (Hardcover - Feb. 28 2012)
CDN$ 32.95 CDN$ 20.65