5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive page turner
Comfy chair? Drinks? Snacks? Good lighting? Excellent! 'Cause you're not going to be getting up or stopping once you dive into Linwood Barclay's latest release - The Accident.

The opening prologue - a violent crime with a distinctly different setting caught my interest. But the foreshadowing in the first paragraph in chapter one clinched it:

"If I'd...
Published on Aug. 9 2011 by Luanne Ollivier

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit unbelievable
This was a good read, and overall it held my interest. But I found as the mysteries were unravelled, and the truth started to come out, the facts just didn't seem believable to me.

In particular, there was so much going on beneath the surface of this apparently happy community, and so many people were involved in it, that I found it required too much suspension...
Published on Nov. 28 2011 by Tony Chu

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive page turner, Aug. 9 2011
Luanne Ollivier - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Accident (Paperback)

"If I'd known this was our last morning, I'd have rolled over in bed and held her. But of course, if it had been possible to know something like that - if I could have somehow seen into the future - I wouldn't have let go. And then things would have been different."

Glen Carver inherited his building business from his father. He's a straight shooter and does right by his customers, staff and his wife Sheila and eight year old daughter Kelly.

Times are tough all over - the economy still hasn't fully recovered - the Carvers have money troubles like everyone else. And then the unthinkable happens - Sheila is killed in an accident that also kills a father and son. The cops say Sheila was drunk and was at fault. But Glen knows that Sheila didn't drink to excess...or did she and he just never knew?

As Glen struggles to deal with his wife's death and looking after Kelly, more seeming unrelated incidents transpire. A web is being woven around Glen, but he can't see it. We can though. I just wanted to shout at Glen - NO! Look out! Ask them why....! When he finally twigs that there is something really wrong going on with his friends and family, it's almost too late...

Barclay's characters are almost anti-heroes; everyday men thrust into situations completely outside the scope of their everyday lives with the need to protect their families. It makes them all the more believable and likable. Adding more reality to the story is the economic thread of the story - foreclosures, lay-offs, downsizing and desperately trying to make ends meet.

Barclay has the suspense/thriller genre in a choke hold with no signs of letting go (thank goodness!)

Like Harlan Coben? You're going to love Linwood Barclay!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, Nov. 15 2012
This review is from: The Accident (Paperback)
My first Barclay book and I'm hooked. I couldn't put this book down. Can't wait to read his other books!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Accident, Jan. 28 2012
Arah-Lynda Hay (Kitchener, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Accident (Paperback)
Glenn Garber is beside himself. His wife Sheila, mother of his eight year old daughter Kelly, is dead, the result of a horrific car accident. Worse still the officer at the scene believes that Sheila is responsible for the accident that claimed the lives of two others. He wants Glenn to accept that his wife was driving under the influence, with an overwhelming amount of vodka in her system. This simply makes no sense. Sheila would never do something that stupid! As the coroner's report confirms the officer's initial assessment of Sheila's condition Glenn's disbelief and grief morphs into rage and an all consuming anger aimed at his dead wife. How could she have done something that stupid, that thoughtless, that final? How can he possibly explain this to Kelly?

After the funeral, life resumes it's new, normal rhythms. His daughter Kelly is having trouble at school, being ostracized by her fellow students where one of the other victims of the accident was also a student. Fortunately she still has one loyal friend and Glenn has agreed to let her attend a sleepover there. His anger has subsided now and what remains is an unyielding reluctance to accept the apparent facts surrounding Sheila's death. But now Kelly is on the phone begging her father to come and get her immediately! What she tells him when he picks her up becomes the first link in a series of troubling events that propell Glenn forward into a vortex of seething corruption. Secret after dangerous secret emerges in his small, home town in Conneticut, complete with threats from neighbours and friends alike and now, well now he is being hunted by total strangers! As he digs deeper to understand and uncover the real truth Glenn must find a terrifying place within himself in order to protect his daughter and avenge his wife's death.

The Accident roars forward at a breathless, pulsating pace that brings this domestic thriller to a chilling climax you won't see coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 7 2014
Great books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, May 17 2014
This review is from: The Accident (Kindle Edition)
Linwood is up to his usual standards of great mystery. Always an excellent read when you see his name on the cover!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Definite Page Turner, Jan. 29 2014
This review is from: The Accident (Paperback)
There is no doubt Linwood Barclay has found his true calling as a mystery writer. Mr. Barclay has not only created rich characters that you can envision but the storyline keeps the readers constant attention. It was hard to put the book down and I look foward to reading more of this author.s books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!!, Aug. 21 2013
This review is from: The Accident (Paperback)
I will start off by saying that I am not an avid reader but I do like reading every once in a while. The reviews I had read for his latest offering indicated that his earlier books were better so I looked at those and settled on trying The Accident.

Once I started reading it, I found that anytime I had a free moment, I would pick up the book and start reading. I was even more surprised that I finished the book rather quickly. ( I don't usually finish 400+ page books in a few days.)
The book itself was very good. As the story unfolded, I wanted to know more. There were many twists and turns with the characters. The ultimate ending was not something I expected although some have said they could see it coming. For lack of a better term, I found that he has an easy to read writing style. For me, that made it even more enjoyable to read this book.

As I said before, I have not read as many books as the other reviewers in this forum. There may be better books out there, but for me, I had a good overall experience with this book.

To quote other reviewers, "This was my first Linwood Barclay book but it won't be my last."

4.0 out of 5 stars Barclay Never Disappoints, Aug. 12 2013
Nicola Manning-Mansfield (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: The Accident (Paperback)
I'm a little behind with Barclay and glad to have gone back and caught up with this title. Barclay never disappoints me. I can always count on him presenting an unusual crime and a thriller with many twists and turns. The Accident, once again, delivers. I'll just start by saying this wasn't my favourite of the author's as I didn't find it as intense as others I've read. Oh, the twists and thrills were there but I just felt as if I knew they were coming just before they happened. There are several related crimes going on here and I figured some of it out but the ultimate reveal I hadn't guessed, though I didn't find it too surprising by that point. The whole playing out of what went down was quite the story though! One thing I really enjoyed about this book was the main character's dealing with his wife's death. He goes through the various stages of grief and he was a likable character. Mind, he was explosive and had a temper, but his reactions to the astonishing unfolding of events while dealing with grief were very real and I enjoyed reading him. So putting my ramblings together :-) another good thriller from Barclay, not his best, but good nevertheless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kindle, March 3 2013
This review is from: The Accident (Kindle Edition)
The book was exciting.my wife will read it next .it was fn to read and captured my attention ever far while reading

5.0 out of 5 stars The Accident, Aug. 19 2011
Dee (Navan, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Accident (Paperback)
Linwood Barclay has done it again, creating another edge of your seat suspense novel that will leave you wanting more. I have read all of Linwood Barclay novels and loved every single one of them but this one is even better than the last. I will not go over the details of the book since other reviewers have already done that.
The twists and turns in this novel will leave you scratching your head trying to figure out who done it. You might be convinced on one particular individual until you come across another twist in the story.
The ending will blow you away!!
This book is well worth every penny and more. You will have a very hard time putting this novel down.
Read it and enjoy!!

The Accident
The Accident by Linwood Barclay (Paperback - Aug. 9 2011)
CDN$ 22.00 CDN$ 15.88