march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Family

on April 26, 2016
The Night Circus takes you on a decades-long journey of a travelling circus fuelled by a competition between two long time rival magicians. Shrowded in mystery the black and white tent arrives in each new town. As quickly as it arrives, it vanishes with the morning sun. Follow the contortionist, the fortune-teller, the twins, and the magician and run away with the circus!

Erin Morgenstern did a fantastic job in creating a rich and palatable dream world in The Night Circus. It offers everything one could ask for in a novel: magic, romance, intrigue, rivalry. Her characters are unique and their lives keep you turning pages well into the night.
on April 17, 2016
To be honest, I went into this book figuring that it was probably over-hyped in the online book community. Based on what I've heard, I thought it would probably be good, but not the fantastic thing that everyone said it was.

I was wrong. This book was absolutely fantastic. Possibly one of the best I've read. I'll apologize in advance, because this review will likely just be me talking about everything I loved about this book.

This book promises a lot. The summary is long and hints towards quite a few things that happen throughout the story. Much to my surprise, this wasn't even half of the points that make up this book. There are so many stories and characters and places, and they all revolve around this circus that appears at random and operates only when night has fallen. It should have made this a very dense, difficult read, and it really wasn't. I read this book in a matter of hours, despite the 500 pages.

The Good Points of The Night Circus:

The characters! This book wouldn't work if all of the characters weren't fully developed and put together in such a way that drives the story forward. You fall in love with them, get frustrated with them, want to smack them, and so on throughout the whole story. They actually feel real enough that you think you could do those things.

The visuals and atmosphere is absolutely incredible. The descriptions (something I tend to skip in other books) were gorgeous, and the feeling of excitement and wonder that the author creates made me long to go to this circus. This is, in part, aided by short sections that are dispersed throughout the book, written in second person, that describes your journey through the event and the different things you see. That, plus all the other elements and settings described throughout make for what seems like more of an experience than a read.

The writing for this book is good - but you barely notice it. It may take a chapter or two to adjust to the present tense writing, if only because it's not the most common thing, but you won't think much of it after that. It's written in such a way that you don't get hung up on how things are worded, or grammar, or anything else of the sort. You just get lost in the story.

The Downsides of The Night Circus:

I did find it a little slow to start. It picks up pretty quickly, but I found it did drag a little until the idea for the circus really gets going.

If you're looking for a beautiful, touching romance, you may be a little disappointed. The romance is incredibly important to the story, but it's not what the entire book is about. The story focuses on the circus as a whole, so you get a lot of other stuff too. I thought it was great, but I'm not a huge romantic, so maybe you will have more of an issue with this.

All in all, a fantastic book, and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a bit of mystery, romance, and sugary confections.
on April 3, 2016
One of my all-time favourite books. I hope they make it into a movie one day.
on March 13, 2016
SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW
I really enjoyed this book, and I LOVED the beautiful descriptions of the circus itself. But I can't give it 5 stars because for some reason the characters all seemed a bit shallow to me. I don’t mean the characters themselves; rather, the character development and their relationships with one another. It seemed like I was supposed to feel like Marco & Celia were engaged in this amazing love story, but...I didn't feel it. I was happy they ended up together, but it was never a very emotional relationship for me. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be; maybe the characters were supposed to be secondary to the circus itself; the circus was actually the main character. If that's the case, then it was very well done.

Overall, a lovely story, beautiful writing, and a circus so full of magic and beauty that it's worth reading this book for that alone.
on March 2, 2016
One of the best stories I've read.
on February 11, 2016
Beautifully written, a story that let your imagination soar and give you beautiful dreams.
on February 6, 2016
Just couldn't get into the book and gave it away before finishing it.
on January 16, 2016
An amazing book that is beautifully written. You don't want to put it down, or for it to end. Would recommend it to anyone looking for an amazing read.
on September 18, 2015
It has been one of my most favourite pieces I read this year though mostly for the visuals. Erin Morgenstern's background in visual artist bled through the text creating a world I couldn't wait to crawl into. The main relationship in the story I had mixed feelings about and found the time frames confusing, but overall worth it for the chance to run away into the Circus.
on September 7, 2015
The last time I felt so softly satisfied about a book, was with my first introduction to Neil Gaiman. I loved the imagery and the storytelling. Erin Morgenstern has taken a seat next to Gaiman at the enjoyable table of luscious storytelling. The Night Circus reads like a rich oil painting that shifts into un-rushed intent and emotion. The more you stare at the this painting, the more engaged your attention becomes with little to no strain. The characters are colourful even without much intense details. And the story is fresh, and fulfilling. Like a cup of your favourite warm beverage on a rainy afternoon where you have no where to go, and so you just enjoy the lush story in your hand.