4.0 out of 5 stars Magical debut
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is certainly creating some buzz lately. So, I was excited to receive a copy and see what all the talk was about.

"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it, no paper notices on downtown posts and billboards, no mentions or advertisements in local newspapers. It is simply there, when yesterday it was...
Published on Oct. 3 2011 by Luanne Ollivier

3.0 out of 5 stars Unique, but somewhat disappointed
This book was recommended to me by Amazon. After looking at the 5 or 6 ratings/reviews that raved about this book I bought it instantly. I feel somewhat torn in my overall opinion of the book. It was without a doubt a very unique idea and that is part of the reasons that i did like this book. The author does a fabulous job creating the circus and does in fact make you...
Published on Oct. 20 2011 by Valerie Christie

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully told tale, completely enjoyable, June 1 2012
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
This is a truly enchanting book that fully deserves comparisons to the many dreams referenced within. I found myself reading this book excruciatingly slowly, never more than a chapter at a time,so that I could savor every page. The vibrant imagery and tight storytelling make it a joy to read and leaves you wishing the story never ends. Morgenstern has a real gift for descriptive passages that make full use of all five senses. While it doesn't have many unexpected twists, it is a thoroughly satisfying read. Her characters could easily fall into cliches or stereotypes but, in my opinion, avoids that dullness and remain sympathetic and compelling. The magic used in the novel is perfectly balanced between imaginative and traditional. The love story she weaves seems unavoidable but is still sweetly touching and does justice to the characters. Several of the more minor characters really shine in their uniqueness, but the main draw is the Circus. After reading the novel, you'll feel like a Reveur (a follower of the Circus) as well.

I'm aware this review is more than effusive in its praises but I truly enjoyed the novel. One of my favorites this year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Night Circus does not Perform, July 27 2012
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
I had many high expectations for this book but, unlike the circus that is so central to its existence, it did not perform. While the idea for the narrative itself was beguiling, the author did not do it justice. From the beginning I had trouble connecting to the story. Many of the descriptions I felt were just pretty words without any substance and I could not picture them in my mind. Many pages left me wondering if Morgenstern was simply writing to make things sound nice and not to bring the black-and-white circus to life beyond the monochrome of the book's pages. The characters were the same, often I felt they could be made more life-like and I did not find the love story to be believable. To put it bluntly, I did not care about the characters. Another disappointing aspect was story's pacing which was like that of a child's book. What stuck with me most about the book when I came to the final page, ending its "timeless tale of love", was this: an interesting concept without a heart.

4.0 out of 5 stars Magical flight of fancy, Feb. 22 2012
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
What a charming read. I'd been meaning to read this book for sometime now, and am so glad I finally got to it. It is a charming tale of enchantment, intrigue and love. It is not entirely written chronologically, which did lead me to flip back and check dates and places in previous chapters, but it is presented in a way that when the story does finally completely unfold, the pieces all fit together without having given anything away.

There are certain characters I'd have liked to have seen developed more, but even so, this book was well-written and so wonderfully descriptive, I could almost smell the sweet caramel of the circus. While reading the final chapters, I could see the scene so vividly, I had to question when the movie would be announced (today, as it were). Will be interesting to see if the movie is able to retain the magical fantasy that Morgenstern has created.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, Not Great, Nov. 25 2011
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
This book was interesting, but at times confusing. The dates in the chapters jump around too much, and I found myself having to flip back a chapter (or two) to see where we were in the timeline. The point of view also changes in nearly every chapter, which is distracting, but also gives it some variety. I was also often confused by the details of the competition and the whole idea of the story. I often found myself re-reading a paragraph or two to try and determine if we were in the real world or the magic one...maybe that's part of the appeal of the book, I'm not sure.

The story was great though, excellent development of the characters. It was interesting to watch the characters grow as the story went on.

I recommend this book, but be prepared to do some legwork to figure out the timeline.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Circus Book I've Read, June 21 2012
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
I love books about circuses, and this one is my favourite so far. In fact, after reading 90% of this book on my ereader, I bought the hardcover version. Now, I think I'll buy the audiobook. As a writer, I want to study this book, and figure out why it works so well! It has been fun tweeting with the author. I chose The Night Circus as my selection for book club this year, and am looking forward to talking about it with some other readers. I read the clock scene to my kids a number of time, and am now on the lookout for a great clock.

5.0 out of 5 stars SO creative!!!!!!!, Oct. 31 2012
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
I am blown away with your creative imagination, Erin !!!!!!!! I LOVED this book and have recommended it to SO many who also LOVE it!!!!! EXCELLENT and HIGHLY recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous & Vivid, Aug. 30 2014
Robyn Yoshimaru (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
Unexpected and intriguing, Erin Morgenstern has created a world within and around our world that forces you to admire the beauty of her story. 'The Night Circus' grabbed my imagination and held me until the last word with reachable characters painted with the perfect amount of mystery to keep you reading until the sun comes up. Clear your schedule for your first read- you won't want to do anything else. Can't wait for Morgenstern's next story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and delicate, June 29 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
This book was brilliant. The first chapter wound me around the pinky figure of the setting and as the characters began to appear and form, I fell deeply in love with them too. This book is magic, it's smart and it's romantic. The Night Circus is The Time traveller's Wife meets Water for Elephants meets Harry Potter dipped in Steampunk. I hope you like it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!, June 28 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
I absolutely LOVED this book. The author uses endless description to physically bring the reader into the story. The whole time I was reading this book I felt like I was seeing it, not just reading the words on the page. It was amazing. The storyline was very unique making the book a joy to read! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Circus Wonder, July 8 2012
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
WOW! This a MUST read book for anybody who enjoys the mystery of a circus, the wonder of its secrets and the lure of it all coming together at night.
It brought me back to the 'can't put it down' novels of Ray Bradbury (Something Wicked This Way Comes)and I can't wait for her next novel!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

The Night Circus
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (Hardcover - Sept. 13 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 3.51