4.0 out of 5 stars Magical debut
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is certainly creating some buzz lately. So, I was excited to receive a copy and see what all the talk was about.

"The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it, no paper notices on downtown posts and billboards, no mentions or advertisements in local newspapers. It is simply there, when yesterday it was...
Published on Oct. 3 2011 by Luanne Ollivier

3.0 out of 5 stars Unique, but somewhat disappointed
This book was recommended to me by Amazon. After looking at the 5 or 6 ratings/reviews that raved about this book I bought it instantly. I feel somewhat torn in my overall opinion of the book. It was without a doubt a very unique idea and that is part of the reasons that i did like this book. The author does a fabulous job creating the circus and does in fact make you...
Published on Oct. 20 2011 by Valerie Christie

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone, Jan. 18 2014
RiverFront (British Columbia, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
The writing of this book is beautifully descriptive! I was immersed in the story right away and have even done my own sketches and paintings for certain scenes as they were so vividly and perfectly described.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such an imaginative book!, Nov. 26 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
I really didn't know what to expect from this book, but was so pleased that it is not simply another formula story. It is a real thinker!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, Oct. 31 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
Full of fun and intrigue. A nice story. Haven't finished yet so not sure how it all wraps up. Good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my most memorable read this year!, Sept. 12 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
I loved this book. Reading is easy enough to be enjoyable as a get away, vacation book, but also thought provoking enough to have me write this review about six months after reading it. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting an enjoyable and memorable read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Poignant and delicate, June 29 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
This book was brilliant. The first chapter wound me around the pinky figure of the setting and as the characters began to appear and form, I fell deeply in love with them too. This book is magic, it's smart and it's romantic. The Night Circus is The Time traveller's Wife meets Water for Elephants meets Harry Potter dipped in Steampunk. I hope you like it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS BOOK!, June 28 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
I absolutely LOVED this book. The author uses endless description to physically bring the reader into the story. The whole time I was reading this book I felt like I was seeing it, not just reading the words on the page. It was amazing. The storyline was very unique making the book a joy to read! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Got lost part way through..., April 27 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Kindle Edition)
The book started out great - all the time I was reading I was thinking what a great movie it would make. Then about 3/4 of the way through I lost track of what was happening and at he end I wasn't sure if I even understood the book's story at all. It seemed a little to "out there" for me. The visuals are great, I think that alone makes the book worth reading but the love story was a little weak.

4.0 out of 5 stars Truly enjoyable, April 21 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Paperback)
A beautifully written story about the circus. I could see, taste and smell parts of this novel. Really enjoyed this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Night Circus, March 8 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Hardcover)
My book group loved this book and wish it would be made into a movie. We enjoyed every scene and happening. We thought the author was very imaginative and the story well written.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Complicated Delight, Jan. 16 2013
This review is from: The Night Circus (Kindle Edition)
This is a rare book. It took me on an unexpected journey: from thinking that I was going to put it down, to being drawn further and further in by the bewitching descriptions of this improbable circus, and finally — viscerally — to being overwhelmed by the beauty and imaginative weight of the ending.

It lingers. I did not quite struggle through the first third of the book, but I wasn't as compelled to continue it as I would have thought. Past the introduction, the beginnings of the tapestry are woven for you on a scale that is impossible to grasp on a first read-through. For some readers, I suspect they will stop here, frustrated and disappointed, and move on to books less patient, less layered, and less demanding.

The demands are simple, but increasingly unfamiliar in today's literary world: "Just read," the book asks, "have patience, absorb the details, surrender your hurry." You cannot skim, because on each page that initially seems to contain nothing but enchanting descriptions, pieces of the puzzle are being carefully assembled for you on a board you cannot yet see, for a purpose that remains deliberately beyond your reach.

Somewhere toward the book's final third, you become aware of a certain momentum gathering. Do not let yourself reach this point in the book if you do not have time to spend with it. Where the book's beginning was patient, its latter half accelerates almost imperceptibly, going from tame to tumultuous so that you hardly notice how it has happened.

One of the many acts described as part of the circus are a series of performers who, seeming still as statues on their platforms, are nevertheless moving, changing, and while it may be difficult to muster the patience to observe the shifts, they are surprising and deeply satisfying as you recognize them.

I made the mistake of reaching the final third of the book yesterday night. I was unable to stop reading until I had finished the book, and sleep was elusive even then.

Brisker and brighter than Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, and more fascinating and imaginative than a show of Cirque du Soleil's, The Night Circus is a complicated delight.

I cannot stop thinking about it, and that is a wonderful feeling.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb5fdbabc)

The Night Circus
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (Hardcover - Sept. 13 2011)
Used & New from: CDN$ 12.54