4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd had this a few years sooner
Published on June 26 2012 by Krysten

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad Advice
I have to admit. I opened this book with much anticpation. I was very disappointed with the advice Mr. Carrick provided to his readers. As a recent graduate from school I thought I could gain some insights into what I could do better with my finances, and did not.

Published on May 21 2012 by econ101

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd had this a few years sooner, June 26 2012
Krysten (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Not to Move Back in With Your Parents: The Young Person's Complete Guide to Financial Empowerment (Paperback)
I bought this book and The Smart Cookies' Guide to Making More Dough and Getting Out of Debt: How Five Young Women Got Smart, Formed a Money Group, and Took Control of Their Finances around the same time and found them both helpful. It's too bad that financial literacy wasn't taught when I was at school, as I was pretty much clueless about saving and investing as a young adult.

Ask your kids if they know the difference between an RRSP and a TFSA - if they don't know the answer, they'd probably benefit from reading this book. An interview with the author can be found here [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful information for both kids and parents, July 4 2014
I bought this book as a parent to give to my son for when he graduated. After giving it a quick read, I realized the information in the book is useful for anyone trying to figure out how to manage their debts, regardless of their age or occupation. There are numerous tips I will be using when I renegotiate my mortgage, taking on and paying off debt, and so on. And I am certain my son will find the information helpful as he makes financial decisions from here on out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Required reading for new grads and young professionals, April 28 2014
M.N. Roy (Toronto, ON Canada) - See all my reviews
This is an outstanding introduction to the complex and intimidating world of financial management. I find this book answers all the major questions I had about how to set myself up for financial success, with clear explanations. I learned about TFSAs, RRSPs, mutual funds, exchange-traded-funds, choosing banking products, mortgages, homeownership, car ownership costs, budgeting, debt, and other essential topics. This book is extremely readable but doesn't hum and haw. I can't stand some financial "advice" that basically boils down to equivocation and never giving a straight answer. Rob Carrick manages to tailor his advice to a wide range of possible scenarios while still giving straight answers on making good decisions. Recommended 5/5.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad Advice, May 21 2012

I heartily disagree with the suggestion to not get credit cards during university, and the seeming theme that parents should pay for a large part of their childrens university education. Taking advantage of your parents may be acceptable for the upper income brackets but not for the average family. How not to move back in with yoru parents - make them pay for your education so you can graduate debt free!!! Genious... pure genious. :(

Do not buy the book. Don't spend more than you have, get a job during university and minimize your student debts - and do not drink your face off every weekend.

3.0 out of 5 stars Other thoughts?, March 8 2013
I've rated the book the average of the previous two reviews. Have not read it yet, and will want to browse through it before buying. Btw, it's "genius"...

CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.57