5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN !!
Published on Oct. 19 2011 by MICHAEL ALLEN

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish
I came across this book at the library, and was intrigued. I didn't even get halfway before I gave up. I couldn't get past her "me me me" attitude and and how self indulgent the whole thing is.
Published 16 months ago by stephaniebrown

5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN !!, Oct. 19 2011
MICHAEL ALLEN (TORONTO, Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
As a fellow inmate at PITTSBURGH INSTITUTION, a minimum security prison near KINGSTON, ONTARIO, I did Community Service with JASON STAPLES, the subject of this book ... and got to know him quite well. Shannon's book brilliantly captures his essence; a young man of exceptional talents, effortlessly charismatic, kind and polite to a fault .... and, as we know now, capable of horrendous violence.

Shannon's portrayal of her step by step walk "through the valley" is compelling in a rather counterintuitve way. She doesn't offer up a neat package of answers to her former husband's utterly inexplicable acts, except to say that, as a child, he was "hurt" and, as an adult, he "hurt back", an explanation that is moving in its simplicity. The focus of the book, instead, is on her complex journey from shock and devastation to acceptance, forgiveness and, eventually, a fulfilling new live.

An interesting theme that runs throughout is the reaction of her former employer and some former friends whose fear and anger seemed to be searching for a focus and inexplicably landed on her. This complex "blame the victim" thread adds to the depth and substance of this exceptional book.

Shannon could have chosen the easy way out; to "cut and run" the moment Jason's actions shattered her life. The fact that she chose to bring some meaning and understanding to her pain is a tribute to her substance as a person .... and a lesson to us all.

4.0 out of 5 stars a page-turner, May 23 2013
Lynne Frappier (Ottawa) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
This memoir was not only well written, it was written in such an honest way. Shannon Moroney was able to respectfully represent victims who were affected by her husband's crime - including herself and her family. She didn't shy away from what Jason did, she didn't excuse his behaviour, but she did highlight the impact from the offenders families point of view: she highlighted how difficult it was for her, since she too was a victim.

At the end of the day though, it was the story of a victim and we follow her as she struggles with getting through the event, and overcomes all the impacts it has had on her life. As someone who had to do something similar, I felt her frustration while she was depressed, her anger towards the act of violence, and her sadness at what has been taken away from her life.

Shannon also provided us with a very insightful look into our criminal justice system - and the alternatives that could be looked at to posisbly change the high percentage of re-offenders.

I highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish, March 15 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Way to go, July 5 2012
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
The author, Shannon, went through an unbearable ordeal and was brave enough to relate her journey. Instead of diving into self-pity and deeper into depression, she fought back. By raising the awareness on the lack of support of victims' families and the flaws in the judicial system in this regard, she, along with the other advocate of this issue, has open up dialogue and maybe ONE more resources will be available.
I do not agree with the other readers that condemn her for writing a book for "profit". Why shouldn't she? We are not in her shoes and we don't know why she wrote the book, whether it is as a coping mechanism or for sharing her experience or any other reason. And if it is for profit, well good for her, she deserves it. Put yourself in her shoes for one day, I'm sure it's was not an easy journey for her, or any of the other victims for that matter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please., March 1 2012
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
Staggeringly self-centred, opportunistic memoir from a woman who felt she had the right to repeatedly demand personal details about the identities and families of Staples' victims, while petitioning the court to ban her own name from publication. Get this from the library, if you must read it, and donate the saved cost of the book to a rape crisis centre.

2.0 out of 5 stars kind, open, forgiving woman...book was still hard to take, April 18 2012
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
I was impressed by Shannon Moroney's openness, her generosity of spirit and her tenacity. I liked her and can understand that this was a horrible chapter in her life, but I grew frustrated with her insistence that she MUST know the victims identity. She went to far as to cross off friends from her "Golden Circle" who would not tell her the victims identity, despite the fact that they were directly asked by the victims family NOT to tell her. Seriously? I know it sucked for her, but it sucked worse for the victims and their families.
I found the book slow, overwritten, and self indulgent. If you write your own story, it's bound to be self indulgent, but that's where a good editor should step in and clean it up a bit.
The book did raise lots of questions, and I was wishing I'd read it with a book club because it's the kind of book that will open alot of debate. However, if you just want the basics of the story, read her article in the Globe and Mail! Only 3 pages long - much better read.

1.0 out of 5 stars couldn't finish it, April 10 2014
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
I agree with the other one star reviews; this author is terribly self-indulgent and has no respect for the real victims in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten Victims, March 15 2014
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down. I devoured it. It was that good! I am glad the author was able to feel some vindication for the frankly rotten treatment she received from some people like law enforcement, lawyers, judges and even victim rights workers! Ms. Moroney has turned the spotlight on a neglected and dark hole in our justice system; the one that friends and family of criminals can find themselves in with little or no support or understanding and often treated with scorn.

The author describes a process she went that she equates with grieving and I can tell you as I person who has gone through the kind of grieving a parent goes through, that what she experienced is most definitely grief. I saw myself in so many of the thoughts and feelings she wrote about.

The armchair psychologist in me was fascinated by it all too. A great read and excellently written!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, June 15 2013
This review is from: Through the Glass (Paperback)
After hearing Shannon's interview on CBC radio I wanted to know "the rest of the story".
Even though you thought you knew the whole story by reading the back page, and looking at the pictures, she kept certain storylines hidden until the end. Not easy to write for her, but probably good therapy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Food for Thought, Jan. 22 2012
Dana - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
This book has intrigued me ever since I heard about it. I volunteer to support and advocate for victims of crime and have often wondered, along with others in my field, who supports and advocated for the families of offenders? Especially violent offenders whose actions and crimes negatively impact not only their victims but also their families. Hard question.

In her book Through the Glass, Shannon Moroney tells her story: how her storybook marriage and life fell apart one month in, the day the policeman came to her hotel room to tell her that her husband had been arrested on charges of sexual assault, kidnapping and more. Shannon writes, in a straight forward way, of her journey through pain, guilt, denial, the loss of friends and employment and the many obstacles of the Canadian criminal justice system.

It is important to remember that this is Shannon's personal journey and it may not be the same journey that every one in this situation needs to take. I was impressed with how she stayed true to what she knew she needed to do for herself, despite the objections and misunderstanding of many of those around her. I was also impressed that she could write about her experiences in a way that didn't attack her attackers but simply states the facts, how she felt and what she did in a fair and understanding way. The story is very well written.

I must say that I was sceptical from time to time about the author's decisions in the process and wondered if they would turn out for the best. It was frustrating to read about the lack of help and understanding she received as she tried to follow a path that was not well marked or travelled. As a victim advocate, I was especially dismayed at the response she received from the victim advocate she was referred to, when it was determined that she also was a victim of her husband's secret life. I want everyone to know that not all advocates are as insensitive and rude as the one she dealt with. Even still Shannon persevered. She took the time to look inside herself and recognise what she needed. Then she went on a no-holds-barred search for support and help in moving forward with whatever decision she had made.

You'll notice that I keep calling the author by her first name. As I read, I found myself connecting with Shannon and her story in a personal way - possibly because of the volunteer work I do and possibly because of my own personal experiences, or maybe just because she is so honest and open in telling her story. There were parts of the book and the conclusions she comes to with regards to improving the justice system in Canada, that I don't necessarily agree with. And many of her decisions are not ones I would have made for myself. But each of us must process our lives and deal with our personal calamities in our own ways. What I do think this book does is open a door to discussion that has long been ignored in our society: what do the offender's family go through in the aftermath of his/her criminal behaviour? I think these silent victims of crime will benefit greatly from Shannon's experiences and her continued advocacy in this area.

Through the Glass
Through the Glass by Shannon Moroney (Hardcover - Oct. 11 2011)
CDN$ 32.95 CDN$ 20.65