5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN !!
Published on Oct. 19 2011 by MICHAEL ALLEN

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish
I came across this book at the library, and was intrigued. I didn't even get halfway before I gave up. I couldn't get past her "me me me" attitude and and how self indulgent the whole thing is.
Published 21 months ago by stephaniebrown

5.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN !!, Oct. 19 2011
MICHAEL ALLEN (TORONTO, Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
As a fellow inmate at PITTSBURGH INSTITUTION, a minimum security prison near KINGSTON, ONTARIO, I did Community Service with JASON STAPLES, the subject of this book ... and got to know him quite well. Shannon's book brilliantly captures his essence; a young man of exceptional talents, effortlessly charismatic, kind and polite to a fault .... and, as we know now, capable of horrendous violence.

Shannon's portrayal of her step by step walk "through the valley" is compelling in a rather counterintuitve way. She doesn't offer up a neat package of answers to her former husband's utterly inexplicable acts, except to say that, as a child, he was "hurt" and, as an adult, he "hurt back", an explanation that is moving in its simplicity. The focus of the book, instead, is on her complex journey from shock and devastation to acceptance, forgiveness and, eventually, a fulfilling new live.

An interesting theme that runs throughout is the reaction of her former employer and some former friends whose fear and anger seemed to be searching for a focus and inexplicably landed on her. This complex "blame the victim" thread adds to the depth and substance of this exceptional book.

Shannon could have chosen the easy way out; to "cut and run" the moment Jason's actions shattered her life. The fact that she chose to bring some meaning and understanding to her pain is a tribute to her substance as a person .... and a lesson to us all.

4.0 out of 5 stars a page-turner, May 23 2013
Lynne Frappier (Ottawa) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
This memoir was not only well written, it was written in such an honest way. Shannon Moroney was able to respectfully represent victims who were affected by her husband's crime - including herself and her family. She didn't shy away from what Jason did, she didn't excuse his behaviour, but she did highlight the impact from the offenders families point of view: she highlighted how difficult it was for her, since she too was a victim.

At the end of the day though, it was the story of a victim and we follow her as she struggles with getting through the event, and overcomes all the impacts it has had on her life. As someone who had to do something similar, I felt her frustration while she was depressed, her anger towards the act of violence, and her sadness at what has been taken away from her life.

Shannon also provided us with a very insightful look into our criminal justice system - and the alternatives that could be looked at to posisbly change the high percentage of re-offenders.

I highly recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish, March 15 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Way to go, July 5 2012
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
The author, Shannon, went through an unbearable ordeal and was brave enough to relate her journey. Instead of diving into self-pity and deeper into depression, she fought back. By raising the awareness on the lack of support of victims' families and the flaws in the judicial system in this regard, she, along with the other advocate of this issue, has open up dialogue and maybe ONE more resources will be available.
I do not agree with the other readers that condemn her for writing a book for "profit". Why shouldn't she? We are not in her shoes and we don't know why she wrote the book, whether it is as a coping mechanism or for sharing her experience or any other reason. And if it is for profit, well good for her, she deserves it. Put yourself in her shoes for one day, I'm sure it's was not an easy journey for her, or any of the other victims for that matter.

4.0 out of 5 stars For me, this was a very difficult book to ..., Oct. 3 2014
This review is from: Through the Glass (Paperback)
For me, this was a very difficult book to read. I had no idea that someone's actions can impact so heavily on another's life - job status, friendships etc. The fact that help was not forthcoming from the places one might expect was hard to accept. Shannon Moroney was/is a strong person; I have grave concern for those who are not as strong as she is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please., March 1 2012
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
Staggeringly self-centred, opportunistic memoir from a woman who felt she had the right to repeatedly demand personal details about the identities and families of Staples' victims, while petitioning the court to ban her own name from publication. Get this from the library, if you must read it, and donate the saved cost of the book to a rape crisis centre.

2.0 out of 5 stars kind, open, forgiving woman...book was still hard to take, April 18 2012
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
I was impressed by Shannon Moroney's openness, her generosity of spirit and her tenacity. I liked her and can understand that this was a horrible chapter in her life, but I grew frustrated with her insistence that she MUST know the victims identity. She went to far as to cross off friends from her "Golden Circle" who would not tell her the victims identity, despite the fact that they were directly asked by the victims family NOT to tell her. Seriously? I know it sucked for her, but it sucked worse for the victims and their families.
I found the book slow, overwritten, and self indulgent. If you write your own story, it's bound to be self indulgent, but that's where a good editor should step in and clean it up a bit.
The book did raise lots of questions, and I was wishing I'd read it with a book club because it's the kind of book that will open alot of debate. However, if you just want the basics of the story, read her article in the Globe and Mail! Only 3 pages long - much better read.

1.0 out of 5 stars couldn't finish it, April 10 2014
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
I agree with the other one star reviews; this author is terribly self-indulgent and has no respect for the real victims in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten Victims, March 15 2014
This review is from: Through the Glass (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down. I devoured it. It was that good! I am glad the author was able to feel some vindication for the frankly rotten treatment she received from some people like law enforcement, lawyers, judges and even victim rights workers! Ms. Moroney has turned the spotlight on a neglected and dark hole in our justice system; the one that friends and family of criminals can find themselves in with little or no support or understanding and often treated with scorn.

The author describes a process she went that she equates with grieving and I can tell you as I person who has gone through the kind of grieving a parent goes through, that what she experienced is most definitely grief. I saw myself in so many of the thoughts and feelings she wrote about.

The armchair psychologist in me was fascinated by it all too. A great read and excellently written!

4.0 out of 5 stars Well written, June 15 2013
This review is from: Through the Glass (Paperback)
After hearing Shannon's interview on CBC radio I wanted to know "the rest of the story".
Even though you thought you knew the whole story by reading the back page, and looking at the pictures, she kept certain storylines hidden until the end. Not easy to write for her, but probably good therapy.

Through the Glass
Through the Glass by Shannon Moroney (Hardcover - Oct. 11 2011)
CDN$ 32.95 CDN$ 20.65