4.0 out of 5 stars Anecdotes, memories and insights amusing & wise, Nov. 19 2011
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Facing the Hunter (Hardcover)
David Adams Richards talks about hunting pretty much as he feels the urge. The structure to this book is very fluid, but a number of prevalent themes emerge over the course of the book. Richards is trying to help people who don't hunt understand what hunting is all about. He is critical of the academic and urban tendency to portray hunting as barbaric. As you might guess, it's more complicated than that. And Richards recognizes that hunting is a morally complicated and ambiguous pastime as well. Hunters are not angels but neither are they demons. In the end, the best way to understand it is to do it. Next to doing it, the next best thing is to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars refreshing, Aug. 23 2014
This review is from: Facing the Hunter (Kindle Edition)
I do not know Mr. Adams Richards nor have I ever met him. After reading Facing the Hunter I have the feeling that I have known him for years. Perhaps it is the fact that We are similar in age, raised in New Brunswick and have an inner desire to experience the hunt in the fall of the year. There is something about the cooling of the weather and the turning of the leaves that arouses the senses to prepare for the hunting season.
A great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great intoduction to one of the most powerful Canadian writers!, April 29 2014
J. Bartlett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Facing the Hunter (Hardcover)
A beautiful book. David Adams Richards writes masterpieces, sometimes with slight flaws, but masterpieces nevertheless. His powerful and often raw novels will haunt you, and some readers may find them very depressing. Reading his non-fiction is the key to understanding the hope behind the novels. With bitter-sweet humour throughout, “Facing the Hunter” is a very entertaining personal account of hunting in Richard’s native New Brunswick. I particularly liked the passage about the stag defending the doe from the coyotes: "he didn’t leave his poncho hanging on a hook”. Having been a city slicker all my life (and anti-hunting), I now see that Canadian urbanites can all benefit from understanding the lives of rural people in this country. No other author can do this as vividly! If you are seeking a good introduction to David Adams Richards' writing, try the following pairings of his non-fiction and fiction:
"Facing the Hunter" followed by "Incidents in the Life of Markus Paul"
"God Is" followed by "The Friends of Meager Fortune" and “Mercy amoung the Children”

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read about the "urban" versus "rural" take on things..., Jan. 20 2012
Michel Trahan (Montreal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Facing the Hunter (Hardcover)
After reading this book, I couldn't help but think that it has been too long since I last went hunting... Not that I "need" the meat, but more as an excuse to spend some quality time with the forest... while we still can.

I agree with him, that most people who criticize hunting, have probably never killed anything in their lives... yet they have no qualms about letter someone else do the killing for them.

~

I just love all the hunting tales, from a long gone era.

I guess we somehow forgot how rough life was, in some part of Canada, just a few decades ago. This book is good reminder.

Facing the Hunter
Facing the Hunter by David Adams Richards (Paperback - Sept. 25 2012)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40