5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read about the "urban" versus "rural" take on things..., Jan. 20 2012
Michel Trahan (Montreal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Facing the Hunter (Hardcover)
After reading this book, I couldn't help but think that it has been too long since I last went hunting... Not that I "need" the meat, but more as an excuse to spend some quality time with the forest... while we still can.

I agree with him, that most people who criticize hunting, have probably never killed anything in their lives... yet they have no qualms about letter someone else do the killing for them.

~

I just love all the hunting tales, from a long gone era.

I guess we somehow forgot how rough life was, in some part of Canada, just a few decades ago. This book is good reminder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anecdotes, memories and insights amusing & wise, Nov. 19 2011
Rodge (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Facing the Hunter (Hardcover)
David Adams Richards talks about hunting pretty much as he feels the urge. The structure to this book is very fluid, but a number of prevalent themes emerge over the course of the book. Richards is trying to help people who don't hunt understand what hunting is all about. He is critical of the academic and urban tendency to portray hunting as barbaric. As you might guess, it's more complicated than that. And Richards recognizes that hunting is a morally complicated and ambiguous pastime as well. Hunters are not angels but neither are they demons. In the end, the best way to understand it is to do it. Next to doing it, the next best thing is to read this book.

ARRAY(0xb3692468)

Facing the Hunter
Facing the Hunter by David Adams Richards (Paperback - Sept. 25 2012)
CDN$ 19.95 CDN$ 14.40