4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book not to be forgotten
Published on March 20 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written, disturbing novel
Robert Cormier is an excellent writer. The involved plot, and description he used were incredible. I just thought that this novel was very disturbing and leaves you with a feeling of fright that this could actually happen or an uneasy feeling that there are horrible things going on around us that we could never know unless we could "FADE!"
Published on Dec 20 1999 by Nikki

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book not to be forgotten, March 20 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Fade (Mass Market Paperback)
To classify this book as young adult is a mistake. This is the kind of novel which can appeal to people of all ages. The young character deals with so many issues and feelings that everyone confronts sooner or later in one's life. Perhaps we would all like the gift to fade away-- to see the world without being seen. To view the true colors of others is a talent we all try to develop; to realize one's self is something we never truly fulfill. By far, this is Cormier's most creative novel. His language portrays the dreary and dark surroundings of the charatcer. You will never want to put this book down.

4.0 out of 5 stars A disturbing and enthralling read, April 26 2009
This review is from: Fade (Paperback)
Fade is an incredible story that follows the life of three "faders" and an aspiring writer. Through each character's POV, Cormier shows how three people with the same ability manage and use the Fade. The old arguments of nature versus nurture and right versus wrong are addressed with how differently Paul and Ozzie manage the Fade. The Fade raises many ethical and moral issues and doesn't shy away from the taboo, addressing incest, underage sex and homosexuality. That said, the sexual scenes in this book are quite explicit; surprising me that this novel is rated as "Teen." Regardless, I found this novel riveting and couldn't put it down. If you thought this novel was just another "invisible man" wannabe, think again - FADE will take the reader to a whole other level

4.0 out of 5 stars "Every family has its mysteries.", May 7 2004
This review is from: Fade (Mass Market Paperback)
Fade by Robert Cormier is a great book.
Fade is a book with many different settings and point of views. It begins with Paul who is around the age of 13 when he finds out he has a gift. He is able to become invisible. Then there is Ozzie, Paul's nephew. Who is angry at the world because of his terrible life. After him there is Susan, Paul's distant cousin who finds a manuscript written by Paul about his life and the ways he dealt with "the fade."
Reading the synopsis of this book I thought it would be a good book to read because I've always thought it would be cool if I could become invisible. I know, silly, but I thought about it before. Of course when I thought about things like that I didn't think about the negative aspects and ways that I would most likely abuse the power, but this book reveals all the possibilities if "the fade" were real. I am not surprised that this was such a good book, since Robert Cormier writes amazing books. This book also dealt with a lot of other issues and it was just an all around great book to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fade in our hearts, Feb. 8 2004
This review is from: Fade (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is great! It totally reveals the different aspects people view on certain subjects. How this book was written also enhances the addictive plot in this book.
The book was bisected into two different time periods, flashing back and forth, starting off with Paul the main character's autobiographical letter. In this writing, Paul described the ability of fade and how his long-gone uncle came and explained to him about when this ability originated and offered some past experience of his. Acquiring this ability, Paul eventually found himself dismal and lost later. After thirty years later, his far cousin Susan and her grandfather - Paul's cousin - gave their opinion on the ability of fading.
We, in our daily lives, would sometimes wonder if we acquired such and such supernatural powers, and what we would do with such and such powers. The truth is, when we actually get these powers, the vicious minds of ours would emerge and the world would fall into chaos. The book Fade pointed this out clearly. Susan and her grandfather's views on the power of fading are also reflected in this world. To believe or not believe, I think the characters in us would interfere this issue. Just like Susan's grandfather, being a detective had surely shaped him into a more logical person. This book Fade stated many situations and thoughts encountered either spiritually physically in our lives and personally I think it's a must for every reader.
The author Robert Cormier has also written some well received books such as the Chocolate War, which both my friends and I found pretty interesting, and if some of you have read it, you would not be disappointed with this fascinating book of his - Fade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fade in our hearts, Feb. 8 2004
This review is from: Fade (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is great! It totally reveals the different aspects people view on certain subjects. We, in our daily lives, would sometimes wonder if we acquired such and such supernatural powers, and what we would do with such and such powers. The truth is, when we actually get these powers, the vicious minds of ours would emerge and the world would fall into chaos. The book Fade pointed this out clearly. Susan and her grandfather's views on the power of fading are also reflected in this world. To believe or not believe, I think every character each of us would interfere this issue. Just like Susan's grandfather, being a detective had surely shaped him into a more logical person. This book Fade stated many situations and thoughts encountered either spiritually physically in our lives and personally I think it¡Âs a must for every readers.

1.0 out of 5 stars If you have the book, toss it NOW!, Aug. 18 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Fade (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is awful. Twice in it he describes sneaking into other peoples bedrooms to fulfill his own desires and finds something worse. If you are getting this book for someone younger than high school, think twice!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fade, June 20 2003
This review is from: Fade (Mass Market Paperback)
If you like other books by Cormier, you're sure to like this one too. It is has several different settings and characters, and they take a lot of unexpected turns. Once I started reading, I had trouble putting the book down. Paul is 13 years old when he learns he has inherited the ability to become invisable. But, he soon finds out that it is not as great as it sounds, and that the Fade seems to have a mind of its own. We follow him throughout his first summer with the fade, until the terrible thing happens. Paul vows to never enter the fade again. As an adult, he must track down his nephew, Ozzie, who has just realized his ability to fade. It is up to Paul to stear him away from the evil that comes with the fade. But, will he succeed?
P.S. I would recommend this book for older teenagers. However, it does have some mild sexual content and violence.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes!, Oct. 2 2002
Greg Potter (Plymouth, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fade (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a sophomore in college. I read this book almost 5 years ago, and it still sticks out in my opinion as one of the greatest pieces of "young adult" literature. It is true Robert Cormier, with all the twists and turns you can expect from him. A believable main character with real emotions and easy to relate to. I would reccomend this book to people of all ages for a great story. It truly changed my view of "reading books" for pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gift can be both good and bad, Sept. 18 2002
Geraldine (Odenton, Md United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fade (Mass Market Paperback)
Cormier's Fade is an exciting book to read. There are three stories and three main characters. The author shows how Paul and Ozzie use and misuse this gift. When Paul realizes that this gift can be dangerous, he disappears into his writing, and in his own way tries to make the world a better place to live. Ozzie on the other hand, misuses his gift, and becomes a demented character. The author offers sympathy for all of his characters. In this book when one mystery is solved another pops up. The book is both fun and may be scarey for some to read. I liked the book, and would recommend it highly. There are many themes throughut the book. The author illustrates the importance of family and how a loving family influences Paul. He also shows how a disfunctional family influences Ozzie and how Ozzie grows up hating society. The ending is both surprising and sad. This is a great and wonderful book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, May 17 2002
Sarah Jane (Glasgow, U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fade (Mass Market Paperback)
Robert Cormier's unique knack for capturing the turmoil of adolescence (and to a lesser extent adulthood) with a haunting sense of melancholy is displayed perfectly in this beautiful novel.
The book focuses on Paul, a boy who discovers he can "fade," or become invisible; a gift inherited from his uncle and passed on to Paul's future nephew. Paul sees it as a useful feature, but the things he sees while in the Fade shock and disturb him, alienating his from his friends, causing him to view the world in a different way. The bits narrated by Sally, the interlude by Paul's cousin, and the Olly section at the end are all well done and spice up the plot, but it's Paul's narration that I find most fascinating.
The author hasn't written a fantasy novel, he uses the fade to expand the idea of coming to terms with change and the pain suffered because of this supernatural ability. Just as Cormier exaggerated the search for identity in I Am The Cheese, he seems to use the fade as a metaphor for growing up. The initial delight, the confusion and disgust towards the things that corrupt innocent eyes, the weary character that emerges... all seem to link to the author's recurring theme of adolescence.
As usual, the characters conjured up are memorable and unique, and I love the way Paul's cousin casts them in different lights and adds a new dimension, challenging us to choose who we believe.
Aside from Paul, Olly is probably the boy that I remember most vividly; Paul's nephew who inherited the fade. Unwanted, he goes through life lonely and rejected, loved only by the nun that takes pity on him. When he discovers his ability to Fade, he sees it as a great tool and a secret only he knows, but soon becomes paranoid that people know about "his secret" and plan to conspire against him. His conscience wrestles with the voice inside his head, encouraging him to kill the few people who take an interest in his sorry life.
Haunting, gorgeous... All in all, a perfect book. Well worth your time and money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fade
Fade by Robert Cormier (Paperback - Sept. 14 2004)
CDN$ 10.99 CDN$ 9.89