5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, April 9 2011
This review is from: The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book Two) (Hardcover)
I am a YA book reviewer, and The Scorch Trials was one of the best teen books I've read in a long time. I found The Maze Runner to be a fascinating concept, as I am very interested in post-apocalyptic teen books. But The Scorch Trials surpassed the first book by miles. It was so intense and chaotic and wonderful. I purposely spent an entire month reading it just so that it wouldn't end. I absolutely can't wait for the third book to come out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of The Scorch Trials by James Dashner, Nov. 18 2011
Gwenyth Love (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book Two) (Hardcover)
This book (book 2 in The Maze Runner trilogy) picks up right where The Maze Runner left off. As mentioned in my review of The Maze Runner, James Dashner is an amazing writer, and his writing remains up to snuff in this second installment. Once again the book opens with an intense and intriguing opening that immediately pulls the reader right into the story, but this time we are shoved into a room cramped with the surviving gladers, but we already know things are going to be bad.

"She spoke to him before the world fell apart."

I felt the pacing was a bit off with this novel. I was often left wondering what was really going on, why they were where they were, and what everything meant. It felt a little slapped together to be honest. It wasn't nearly as scary and creepy as The Maze Runner, and the whole back and forth thing with Theresa was just plain annoying.

Thomas felt completely detached from the rest of the group, which I am sure was part of the point, but it just seemed like all those relationships that were built up in The Maze Runner didn't matter at all and were a waste of space. I hope things come together better in The Death Cure.

Another thing that really annoyed me was the whole thing where Thomas would meet someone new, debate whether he should basically tell them his whole life story, then decide he either can trust them or has no other choice, and then those characters have no real main part in the book. Again it just feels like filler...and annoying filler at that...

I guess it just felt like overall there wasn't enough surprises to keep my interest, especially since I knew there would be one more book. I find most trilogies tend to slack in the second book...almost as if there really should have been only two books in the first place.

The chapters were kept short, yet involved, which keeps the readers interested and coming back for more. So that's a plus. There were also a few new characters added that made the story interesting, and hopefully continue to do so into The Death Cure. The writing was fantastic as was to be expected, just felt jumpy and unnecessary at times. Overall it was still a very enjoyable read, despite my complaints. It was interesting to see what happened to all the surviving gladers after they thought they were finally safe from the maze.

I recommend this book to anyone who loved the first one, and plans on finishing the series off with The Death Cure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, March 11 2014
KMK (North Central,Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Our Grandson who was turning 8 at the time we gave this to him could not put it down he loves the entire series.

4.0 out of 5 stars suspense and tons of twists and turns, April 4 2013
This book was a great YA book. Unlike the maze runner there isn't a lot about this book that you can anticipate. Its very suspenseful and has tons of twists and turns in every direction that keep you guessing and reading. The main character is changing himself and you get to rid along for his journey. Of course it leaves you in the dark waiting to read the next book in the trilogy. The only downfall about this book to me is its so wildly chaotic that I don't know how the end can make it all make sense. We will see I guess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, March 20 2012
Excellent read in this trilogy series. Had to turning the pages to see what was going to happen next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down!, April 17 2011
This review is from: The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book Two) (Hardcover)
My 14 yr old Son loved this book so much he could not put is down. The adventure kept him interested from start to finish. This is the second book to a series. He is already anticipating the 3rd book to be released.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Maze Runner, Feb. 10 2011
Jessica Strider (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book Two) (Hardcover)
Pros: lots of tension, great pacing

Cons: while I still didn't connect with any of the boys, I didn't find them as annoying as I did in the first book

Picking up directly where The Maze Runner left off, The Scorch Trials doesn't let the Gladers relax much before the next round of horrors begins.

While you find out a bit more of the mystery surrounding the boys - including the fact that there was a similar experiment for girls - a lot of mysteries remain at the end of the book.

Look forward to a wild ride of one bad thing followed by another.

This book is definitely better than the first one. All of my complaints for it were dealt with/not applicable here. The pacing is good, there's some downtime to appreciate the situation the boys are in but not enough to feel bored. There's little character development, but the book takes place over two weeks so that's to be expected. And what development there is, follows logically from the events of the story.

While I felt teens would enjoy the first book better than adults, the sequel is a fantastic book for readers of all ages.

Can't wait for the third, when I hope to learn what's really going on with WICKED.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting sequel, Sept. 16 2011
Coreena - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book Two) (Hardcover)
This is quite a book, so full of action and crazy horrible situations that it doesn't let you relax for a second. I kept thinking that Dashner has created a diabolical dystopian Lord of the Flies scenario, filled with tension and mystery as well as brutal situations of survival.

The Scorch Trials takes place immediately where The Maze Runner left off. It is full of excitement and the horror of the boys battling the elements, trying to save their friends, fighting thirst and starvation, and fighting the Cranks. The Cranks turn out to be fairly intelligent, zombie like beings and definitely add to the element of terror. Then there are killer thunder and lightening storms, scorching heat, and the constant threat of starvation.

Dashner does a great job of building a chaotic, brutal and dying world in this book. The characters are confused and in the dark about what is going on, and the readers are only slightly more knowledgeable. It is so difficult to imagine in what kind of world creating a scenario where kids are killed off by monsters in order to collect data is a good idea. Even with more knowledge than the characters, as a reader I felt their betrayal, fear and frustration.

I think this book will really appeal to teens who like thriller and horror books, as well as books of survival. Some of the scenes are quite vivid and gruesome. The third in this trilogy, The Death Cure, is due out October 11 of this year. I can hardly wait to get my hands on it!

ARRAY(0xc17903e4)

The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book Two)
The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner, Book Two) by James Dashner (Hardcover - Oct. 12 2010)
CDN$ 20.99 CDN$ 15.15