5.0 out of 5 stars Very creative
The annotations are useful and very interesting. It's like getting comments from the inside and hearing the author's thoughts while he was writing the book.

I love it.

Only thing is that the book cover is one of those removable paper covers. I hate that...

Anywho, great book in general.
Published 13 months ago by Dayana Ferrer

3.0 out of 5 stars Like Having Cliff Clavin Reading over Your Shoulder
Published on June 27 2003

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Like Having Cliff Clavin Reading over Your Shoulder, June 27 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition (Hardcover)
You're right: I have no one to blame but myself. (Fool me twice, shame on me.) I'd read another book annotated by Gardner before, so I knew something about what his notes were like. Still, I thought, who better to explicate the puns, colloquialisms, and mathematical, logical, and philosophical references in _Alice_ than one of the great polymaths of our time, a connoisseur of puzzles, and an aficionado of Victorian literature? Plus, it's hard to deny that _The Definitive Edition_ is a handsome one.
Well, Gardner has really outdone himself this time. The notes go on and on and on, eclipsing the actual text in length. While Clavin might interrupt a conversation on the Bermuda Triangle to point out the little-known fact that it's really shaped like a tetrazidrhomboid, Gardner thinks that when a character uses an idiomatic expression involving ferrets it would be relevant to mention a get-together that ferret owners recently held in New York City's Central Park. Much of the inside information Gardner does provide is along the lines of telling us that this character is based on Alice Liddell's third cousin, once removed, or that that character is named after Dodgson's pet gerbil.
I think Gardner may have finally succeeded in turning me off of annotated editions for good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very creative, March 25 2013

I love it.

Anywho, great book in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Research, March 10 2001
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition (Hardcover)
This is a wonderful book full of meanings and delightful little side details about Charles Dodgson. This book has the answers to many of your questions about the both Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass; why did he do this, what did he mean by this... It also includes secret meanings, such as a name from one of his friends, or he did this because he had O.C.D. Annotated Alice is perfect for research papers (or reading for one's own pleasure) for it gives you some information on verses, his life...all those major details. For example, did you know that most if not all of his poems were a satire on another well-known nursery rhyme or poem. It is easy to tell in the following nursery rhyme what on what poem Carroll made a satire.
Twinkle twinkle little bat
How I wonder what you are at
Up above the world you fly
Like a tea tray in the sky
Twinkle twinkle little bat
How I wonder what you are at
This seems simple enough, but do you know of what rhyme, "Beat Your Baby When He Sneezes" is a parody? The original poem was a song for babies to go to sleep. You will find all this info. and more. Cheers!...

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything You Wanted To Know About Alice..., Dec 26 2000
J. Carroll "Jack" (Island Heights,NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition (Hardcover)
Anyone who enjoys Alice's adventures will appreciate the care and detail that was taken in preparing this version of Carroll's tales. Gardner's annotations are superb and you realize they are just the tip of the iceberg when delving into the complexities of Carroll's Alice stories. Easy to follow annotations accompany excellent Tenniel reproductions. With the addition of the excised "Wasp in the Wig" episode this is a must for anyone who enjoyed these tales and would like to get more information about their creation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally a "translation" of Alice for the masses, Oct. 14 2003
Giant Panda (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition (Hardcover)
I remember my frustrations with reading "Alice" when I was young. Apparently it was an interesting story about animals and weird things and so on, but very quickly my reading stumbled onto nonsense verses and things so strange I don't know what to make of them. As a child I quickly lost interest and put down my book, that is until I encountered this wonderful annotated version by Martin Gardiner. Having enjoyed Gardiner's countless mathematical books and Scientific American columns, I was intrigued by this book.
This is a book that actually delivers what it promises. The large format of the book makes it easy to read and pleasing to the eye. The original drawings for the book by Tenniel are included, making it quite interesting. In the wide margins, Gardiner makes clear the countless curiosities, verses, puns, and mathematical oddities. Some of those things were meant to be understood only by a select group of people living in Oxford at the time Lewis Carroll wrote his work. Gardiner therefore draws upon a wealth of research by Alice fans all over the world to come to an understanding of all these oddities. The result is a much more enriching experience and much more pleasurable reading of the story.
At any rate, I don't take the Alice story as seriously as some of the fans do, but I was pleased I read this annotated edition once. I plan to find again my old childhood copy and re-read the story without annotation for enjoyment. Note that the annotated Alice went through various editions, this ("Definitive annotated Alice" being the third, most up-to-date and most complete, including the original illustrations by Tenniel and both sets of annotations in the original "Annotated Alice" and in the "More Annotated Alice". This is the edition to buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strickly for real Carroll fans, Dec 12 2002
Bernard M. Patten "Book worm" (Seabrook, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition (Hardcover)
In the case of Alice, we are dealing with a very curious, complicated form of nonsense, which explores the possibilities of the uses and abuse of language and is actually based on a profound knowledge of the rules of logic. In fact, most of Carroll's apercus and all his joked are inversions of the rules of logic or plays on words. Reason is here in service to imagination and not vice-versa. The wealth of material which Carroll presents for the illumination of his philosophy is almost without end. The more I read Alice, the more I realize the books are dense enough to defy complete exegesis. Carroll's genius lies in the ability to disguise charmingly the seriousness of his concerns and to make the most playful quality of his work at the same time its didactic crux. This annotation version helps by telling us about some aspects of the era and setting that Alice and Charles Lutwidge Dodgson lived in, about Christ Church, and Duckworth etc. but it misses the details about the main points of logic that are being made by Carroll. So far I haven't found a satisfactory text that does that. Perhaps I will have to write one myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars scholarly Jabberwocky, Oct. 4 2002
PARTHO ROY "bibliophile" (Tampa, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition (Hardcover)
The title of this book says it all--more annotations than a Richard Posner book, and as definitive an edition as one can expect. It is a bit peculiar to imagine a simple children's story dissected to pieces, but the researchers and editors behind this volume from Norton (purveyors of some of the best academic editions) bring new light to the hidden humor and brilliance behind Lewis Carroll's works. Featuring original artwork from the first edition, as well as some abandoned passages, you will not find a more complete version of Carroll's Alice tales anywhere else. A must-have for the children's lit bookshelf in your home library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't be too definitive, June 24 2002
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition (Hardcover)
Not knowing what you do not know it tells you everything. This book appears to be stand alone logic and fun on the surface. Some may even think it is a children's book. If so why all the courses and scholarly writings on the story?
Some things are self evident as being so short that you can touch your toes. Others may take some time as the reason hatters are mad is the process includes mercury so even if it was directed at a particular person or not hatters are mad. Still when was the last time you used a bathing machine? Knowing some of information can enhance the enjoyment of reading the story.
You get the original illustrations to boot. So when you are finished perusing this book it can be used as a coffee table conversation book.

4.0 out of 5 stars ...Helpful or Harmful?, May 30 2002
zach craft (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition (Hardcover)
annotated alice was a very informative version of Alice in Wonderland, it had so many interesting inserts throughout the story. it gave many explinations and idea concepts on why the original author wrote what he did(not to mention his chemical influences). some of the things and characters used in the original story are very unlike the more well known disney version which i find much more boring than the book, this guy was really out there with his ideas, and some of the explinations for why he wrote what he did were as intereting or maybe more than just reading the story for what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alice for Adults and other Thinking People, April 25 2002
This review is from: The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition (Hardcover)
Martin Gardner has amassed an incredible amount of information about a book that amused or bemused many of us while we were growing up. Many sections of Alice have proved mysterious and confusing to the young: Gardner reveals everything from the original poems which are parodied in the songs, the identities of certain historic figures hidden behind the masks of the Wonderland and Looking Glass crowd (including a portrait of the ugliest noblewoman who ever lived -- a clear model for the Dutchess), and many other fascinating digressions on the text.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb5357390)

The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition
The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition by Lewis Carroll (Hardcover - Nov. 18 1999)
CDN$ 37.00 CDN$ 23.20