boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis march Music Deals Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

on March 27, 2004
I have been baking bread for over 10 years and sourdough for 3 years. My sourdough bread is my families favorite and I can make it without throwing out 3/4 of the starter. She is always throwing out the starter and it just isn't necessary. I didn't even try her sourdough's because the directions were so complicated they made my head spin.
I tried four recipes. Two were the best I have ever tasted and two were inedible. I have never had to throw out bread before, but I did with this book. The good recipes are worth the price of this book. However, I can't but think there must be an easier way to make those as well. I can't even do some of things she requires, like but a cast iron pan on the bottom of the oven to throw ice in. That's where the heating coils are! Twice, I miss the place where she said to add the salt because it's in such an odd place(which explains why ONE of the recipes came out badly) I think I will return this book and keep looking for that perfect bread book.
on May 2, 2004
My husband, Bob, who makes the best breads I've ever consumed, told me: "If I could have only one book on bread baking, The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum would be that book." This, coming from a guy who has over 500 culinary books in his home library, got my attention. "Is it really that good?" I asked. "YES! It is," was his reply." I asked him what, in his opinion, makes this book better than others. He explained that the author, an internationally known and highly respected baker, offers, in her book, all the facts necessary for a person to aquire an adequate foundation of bread baking knowledge including instructions to aid beginners in developing their skills (skills developed thorugh practice...making doughs and baking breads). This book is thorough, but not to the point it will bore or confuse a beginner or the occasional bread baker, and if a person likes good recipes, those contained in this book work.
on February 3, 2004
I got this book for the white bread recipe. It is perfect! None better. I tried the recipe using the maximum and minimum times and preferred the minimum (8 hours). I also appreicate the extensive preparation details and recommendations.
on March 2, 2004
I have learned so much about bread making. She includes all the little tips that a recipe usually leaves out. I use this book every week and haven't bought a loaf of bread from the store since it arrived.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon March 5, 2013
The book has great recipes and easy to follow instructions. Everything came out picture perfect! Try this if you are inot baking bread you will not be sorry!
on December 9, 2012
Love the book. It is like cooking with a friend in my kitchen who knows all the stuff I don't
on June 21, 2004
I was disappointed because the baguettes beginning on page 335 failed to rise enough and when baked they were what you might call mini-baguettes. One possible source of my problem is that I used a Canadian high-gluten bread flour instead of the specific brands of unbleached all-purpose flour insisted upon on p.338 of "The Bread Bible".
ARE THE FLOUR QUANTITIES FOR THE "DOUGH" ON PAGE 338 CORRECT?
The bread flour I used is described as "White Bread Flour" at:
[...]
on June 30, 2014
Wow what a great book! Certainly not for someone looking for quick and simple recipes but for anyone looking to learn more advanced techniques this book is great. The rye bread recipe was amazing, but we also loved the bagels, English muffins, pumpernickel, grain bread and wheat bread.
on December 16, 2003
Rose does a fabulous job explaining exactly how to bake bread. Each recipe details ingredients by both weight and volume. The recipies are divided into high-level steps. At each step, Rose first tells you what the goal of the step is (i.e. "shape the loaf") and then gives details instructions on how to do it. Once you've made a recipe, you only need to read high-level steps the next time. You'll also appreciate how Rose gives hints for success, including pointers about how you can make a long bread-rising schedule fit to your schedule - you can shape, rise, and bake the bread when it is convienent for you, not the bread.
The cinnamon-raisin-swirl bread is heavenly! I've learned how I can bake bread over several evenings instead of needing to be home all day long. Thanks Rose!
on February 2, 2015
Its a nice book, BUT she really over complicates baking. I would not really recommend this book to anyone unless they are just interested in all the science behind baking.