biss boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: HardcoverChange

on May 2, 2004
My husband, Bob, who makes the best breads I've ever consumed, told me: "If I could have only one book on bread baking, The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum would be that book." This, coming from a guy who has over 500 culinary books in his home library, got my attention. "Is it really that good?" I asked. "YES! It is," was his reply." I asked him what, in his opinion, makes this book better than others. He explained that the author, an internationally known and highly respected baker, offers, in her book, all the facts necessary for a person to aquire an adequate foundation of bread baking knowledge including instructions to aid beginners in developing their skills (skills developed thorugh practice...making doughs and baking breads). This book is thorough, but not to the point it will bore or confuse a beginner or the occasional bread baker, and if a person likes good recipes, those contained in this book work.
on January 19, 2015
I love everything about this book, the baguette was the best baguettes I've ever made and tasted! I definitely do not agree with the previous review regarding the heart of wheat bread recipe not being specific enough...it is very clear in the paragraph to mix the flour and the yeast with no mention of the salt, you just have to follow the recipe step by step. If you are looking for quick bread recipes, this is not the book for you. (I used to make quick breads and they all taste the same.....flour)
There's a part in the book where someone mentions how the flavor of her breads linger in their mouth for a long while afterwards and after making my first recipe from this book (beer bread), I realized how very true this was...I recommend this book to anyone that loves to take their time to make beautiful and delicious breads!
on February 3, 2004
I got this book for the white bread recipe. It is perfect! None better. I tried the recipe using the maximum and minimum times and preferred the minimum (8 hours). I also appreicate the extensive preparation details and recommendations.
on March 2, 2004
I have learned so much about bread making. She includes all the little tips that a recipe usually leaves out. I use this book every week and haven't bought a loaf of bread from the store since it arrived.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon March 5, 2013
The book has great recipes and easy to follow instructions. Everything came out picture perfect! Try this if you are inot baking bread you will not be sorry!
on December 9, 2012
Love the book. It is like cooking with a friend in my kitchen who knows all the stuff I don't
on June 21, 2004
I was disappointed because the baguettes beginning on page 335 failed to rise enough and when baked they were what you might call mini-baguettes. One possible source of my problem is that I used a Canadian high-gluten bread flour instead of the specific brands of unbleached all-purpose flour insisted upon on p.338 of "The Bread Bible".
ARE THE FLOUR QUANTITIES FOR THE "DOUGH" ON PAGE 338 CORRECT?
The bread flour I used is described as "White Bread Flour" at:
[...]
on June 30, 2014
Wow what a great book! Certainly not for someone looking for quick and simple recipes but for anyone looking to learn more advanced techniques this book is great. The rye bread recipe was amazing, but we also loved the bagels, English muffins, pumpernickel, grain bread and wheat bread.
on December 16, 2003
Rose does a fabulous job explaining exactly how to bake bread. Each recipe details ingredients by both weight and volume. The recipies are divided into high-level steps. At each step, Rose first tells you what the goal of the step is (i.e. "shape the loaf") and then gives details instructions on how to do it. Once you've made a recipe, you only need to read high-level steps the next time. You'll also appreciate how Rose gives hints for success, including pointers about how you can make a long bread-rising schedule fit to your schedule - you can shape, rise, and bake the bread when it is convienent for you, not the bread.
The cinnamon-raisin-swirl bread is heavenly! I've learned how I can bake bread over several evenings instead of needing to be home all day long. Thanks Rose!
on February 2, 2015
Its a nice book, BUT she really over complicates baking. I would not really recommend this book to anyone unless they are just interested in all the science behind baking.