4.0 out of 5 stars very good, but ...
I have been baking bread for a very long time, and my collection of bread books is large. While I have not baked a large number of recipes from this volume, I have tried a few. The results are very tasty. I do like the slow techniques she uses as well as the advice on where the process can be refrigerated.
I find that the amount of liquid tends to be a little low,...
Published on May 17 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars packed with information but in dire need of a better editor
I rarely feel the need to review, but having tried two recipes in this book, and feeling misled at some point in both, I feel a warning is in order.
First, let me say that I am quite an avid bread baker, and that this book, while chock-full of technical information, is definitely not for the neophyte, unless he or she is just interested in the science of breadmaking...
Published on May 22 2004 by annielaurie

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK DESERVES MORE THAN 5 STARS, May 2 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
My husband, Bob, who makes the best breads I've ever consumed, told me: "If I could have only one book on bread baking, The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum would be that book." This, coming from a guy who has over 500 culinary books in his home library, got my attention. "Is it really that good?" I asked. "YES! It is," was his reply." I asked him what, in his opinion, makes this book better than others. He explained that the author, an internationally known and highly respected baker, offers, in her book, all the facts necessary for a person to aquire an adequate foundation of bread baking knowledge including instructions to aid beginners in developing their skills (skills developed thorugh practice...making doughs and baking breads). This book is thorough, but not to the point it will bore or confuse a beginner or the occasional bread baker, and if a person likes good recipes, those contained in this book work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best White Bread ever, Feb. 3 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I got this book for the white bread recipe. It is perfect! None better. I tried the recipe using the maximum and minimum times and preferred the minimum (8 hours). I also appreicate the extensive preparation details and recommendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, March 2 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I have learned so much about bread making. She includes all the little tips that a recipe usually leaves out. I use this book every week and haven't bought a loaf of bread from the store since it arrived.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOP OF THE LINE, March 5 2013
kjmac - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
The book has great recipes and easy to follow instructions. Everything came out picture perfect! Try this if you are inot baking bread you will not be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars CHANGED MY LIFE, Dec 9 2012
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Love the book. It is like cooking with a friend in my kitchen who knows all the stuff I don't

2.0 out of 5 stars Possible error?, June 21 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I was disappointed because the baguettes beginning on page 335 failed to rise enough and when baked they were what you might call mini-baguettes. One possible source of my problem is that I used a Canadian high-gluten bread flour instead of the specific brands of unbleached all-purpose flour insisted upon on p.338 of "The Bread Bible".
ARE THE FLOUR QUANTITIES FOR THE "DOUGH" ON PAGE 338 CORRECT?
The bread flour I used is described as "White Bread Flour" at:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Worthwhile, Dec 16 2003
V. Wagner (Helena, MT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Rose does a fabulous job explaining exactly how to bake bread. Each recipe details ingredients by both weight and volume. The recipies are divided into high-level steps. At each step, Rose first tells you what the goal of the step is (i.e. "shape the loaf") and then gives details instructions on how to do it. Once you've made a recipe, you only need to read high-level steps the next time. You'll also appreciate how Rose gives hints for success, including pointers about how you can make a long bread-rising schedule fit to your schedule - you can shape, rise, and bake the bread when it is convienent for you, not the bread.
The cinnamon-raisin-swirl bread is heavenly! I've learned how I can bake bread over several evenings instead of needing to be home all day long. Thanks Rose!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a great book! Certainly not for someone looking for quick ..., June 30 2014
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Wow what a great book! Certainly not for someone looking for quick and simple recipes but for anyone looking to learn more advanced techniques this book is great. The rye bread recipe was amazing, but we also loved the bagels, English muffins, pumpernickel, grain bread and wheat bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes and very informative., March 15 2013
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
My husband fell in love again! He is very pleased with "his bible" ... lol. I am more than pleased with his creations....

5.0 out of 5 stars If "Beard on Bread" is the "Old Testament,", Nov. 16 2003
Lawrence W. Prichard "lj-and-me" (Kent, OH, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Bread Bible" is the "New Testament"!There are now many good bread books, but if I could have only one bread book, this would be the one.Ms. Beranbaum includes non-yeasted breads in this book.Oh, this book is so good. I have been baking bread for over 15 years, and I knew more than a little, but this book has opened a wider world. She has diminished some of my anxiety about sourdough bread, by talking about her sourdough anxiety, which she vanquished.Ms. Beranbaum encourages mechanical mixing, and does not consider it a "crime," like some other writers on bread. However, manual mixing is included. She has written lots of information on flours. Detailed, yet accessible.She encourages home bakers to think in more professional terms by giving weight measures (grams and ounces,) as well as volume measures (cups, spoons). She also gives proportion percentages.Ms Beranbaum's introductory comments are fascinating.The index is complete and easy to use.The photos and technical drawings are complete and well chosen.This book is definitely one of MY "desert island ten."

Bread Bible
Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum (Hardcover - Sept. 30 2003)
CDN$ 40.00 CDN$ 25.08