5.0 out of 5 stars CORRECTION FROM THE AUTHOR
Re the rye bread, on page 326, step 2, delete the words 'rye flour.' (the rye flour is used only in the sponge on page 325.) Also, on the chart for the flour mixture, the 2 1/4 cups of bread flour weigh 12.3 ounces.
Hope you are enjoying the recipes. If you haven't used the instant yeast before, you're going to love the ease and reliability of adding it directly to...
Published on Nov. 27 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars packed with information but in dire need of a better editor
I rarely feel the need to review, but having tried two recipes in this book, and feeling misled at some point in both, I feel a warning is in order.
First, let me say that I am quite an avid bread baker, and that this book, while chock-full of technical information, is definitely not for the neophyte, unless he or she is just interested in the science of breadmaking...
Published on May 22 2004 by annielaurie

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK DESERVES MORE THAN 5 STARS, May 2 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
My husband, Bob, who makes the best breads I've ever consumed, told me: "If I could have only one book on bread baking, The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum would be that book." This, coming from a guy who has over 500 culinary books in his home library, got my attention. "Is it really that good?" I asked. "YES! It is," was his reply." I asked him what, in his opinion, makes this book better than others. He explained that the author, an internationally known and highly respected baker, offers, in her book, all the facts necessary for a person to aquire an adequate foundation of bread baking knowledge including instructions to aid beginners in developing their skills (skills developed thorugh practice...making doughs and baking breads). This book is thorough, but not to the point it will bore or confuse a beginner or the occasional bread baker, and if a person likes good recipes, those contained in this book work.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love everything about this book, Jan. 19 2015
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I love everything about this book, the baguette was the best baguettes I've ever made and tasted! I definitely do not agree with the previous review regarding the heart of wheat bread recipe not being specific enough...it is very clear in the paragraph to mix the flour and the yeast with no mention of the salt, you just have to follow the recipe step by step. If you are looking for quick bread recipes, this is not the book for you. (I used to make quick breads and they all taste the same.....flour)
There's a part in the book where someone mentions how the flavor of her breads linger in their mouth for a long while afterwards and after making my first recipe from this book (beer bread), I realized how very true this was...I recommend this book to anyone that loves to take their time to make beautiful and delicious breads!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best White Bread ever, Feb. 3 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I got this book for the white bread recipe. It is perfect! None better. I tried the recipe using the maximum and minimum times and preferred the minimum (8 hours). I also appreicate the extensive preparation details and recommendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, March 2 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I have learned so much about bread making. She includes all the little tips that a recipe usually leaves out. I use this book every week and haven't bought a loaf of bread from the store since it arrived.

5.0 out of 5 stars TOP OF THE LINE, March 5 2013
kjmac - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
The book has great recipes and easy to follow instructions. Everything came out picture perfect! Try this if you are inot baking bread you will not be sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars CHANGED MY LIFE, Dec 9 2012
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Love the book. It is like cooking with a friend in my kitchen who knows all the stuff I don't

2.0 out of 5 stars Possible error?, June 21 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I was disappointed because the baguettes beginning on page 335 failed to rise enough and when baked they were what you might call mini-baguettes. One possible source of my problem is that I used a Canadian high-gluten bread flour instead of the specific brands of unbleached all-purpose flour insisted upon on p.338 of "The Bread Bible".
ARE THE FLOUR QUANTITIES FOR THE "DOUGH" ON PAGE 338 CORRECT?
The bread flour I used is described as "White Bread Flour" at:
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a great book! Certainly not for someone looking for quick ..., June 30 2014
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Wow what a great book! Certainly not for someone looking for quick and simple recipes but for anyone looking to learn more advanced techniques this book is great. The rye bread recipe was amazing, but we also loved the bagels, English muffins, pumpernickel, grain bread and wheat bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Worthwhile, Dec 16 2003
V. Wagner (Helena, MT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Rose does a fabulous job explaining exactly how to bake bread. Each recipe details ingredients by both weight and volume. The recipies are divided into high-level steps. At each step, Rose first tells you what the goal of the step is (i.e. "shape the loaf") and then gives details instructions on how to do it. Once you've made a recipe, you only need to read high-level steps the next time. You'll also appreciate how Rose gives hints for success, including pointers about how you can make a long bread-rising schedule fit to your schedule - you can shape, rise, and bake the bread when it is convienent for you, not the bread.
The cinnamon-raisin-swirl bread is heavenly! I've learned how I can bake bread over several evenings instead of needing to be home all day long. Thanks Rose!

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a nice book, BUT she really over complicates baking, Feb. 2 2015
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Its a nice book, BUT she really over complicates baking. I would not really recommend this book to anyone unless they are just interested in all the science behind baking.

Bread Bible
Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum (Hardcover - Sept. 30 2003)
CDN$ 40.00 CDN$ 25.08