5.0 out of 5 stars CORRECTION FROM THE AUTHOR
Re the rye bread, on page 326, step 2, delete the words 'rye flour.' (the rye flour is used only in the sponge on page 325.) Also, on the chart for the flour mixture, the 2 1/4 cups of bread flour weigh 12.3 ounces.
Hope you are enjoying the recipes. If you haven't used the instant yeast before, you're going to love the ease and reliability of adding it directly to...
Published on Nov. 27 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars packed with information but in dire need of a better editor
I rarely feel the need to review, but having tried two recipes in this book, and feeling misled at some point in both, I feel a warning is in order.
First, let me say that I am quite an avid bread baker, and that this book, while chock-full of technical information, is definitely not for the neophyte, unless he or she is just interested in the science of breadmaking...
Published on May 22 2004 by annielaurie

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, March 2 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I have learned so much about bread making. She includes all the little tips that a recipe usually leaves out. I use this book every week and haven't bought a loaf of bread from the store since it arrived.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best White Bread ever, Feb. 3 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I got this book for the white bread recipe. It is perfect! None better. I tried the recipe using the maximum and minimum times and preferred the minimum (8 hours). I also appreicate the extensive preparation details and recommendations.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK DESERVES MORE THAN 5 STARS, May 2 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
My husband, Bob, who makes the best breads I've ever consumed, told me: "If I could have only one book on bread baking, The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum would be that book." This, coming from a guy who has over 500 culinary books in his home library, got my attention. "Is it really that good?" I asked. "YES! It is," was his reply." I asked him what, in his opinion, makes this book better than others. He explained that the author, an internationally known and highly respected baker, offers, in her book, all the facts necessary for a person to aquire an adequate foundation of bread baking knowledge including instructions to aid beginners in developing their skills (skills developed thorugh practice...making doughs and baking breads). This book is thorough, but not to the point it will bore or confuse a beginner or the occasional bread baker, and if a person likes good recipes, those contained in this book work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated, March 27 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I have been baking bread for over 10 years and sourdough for 3 years. My sourdough bread is my families favorite and I can make it without throwing out 3/4 of the starter. She is always throwing out the starter and it just isn't necessary. I didn't even try her sourdough's because the directions were so complicated they made my head spin.
I tried four recipes. Two were the best I have ever tasted and two were inedible. I have never had to throw out bread before, but I did with this book. The good recipes are worth the price of this book. However, I can't but think there must be an easier way to make those as well. I can't even do some of things she requires, like but a cast iron pan on the bottom of the oven to throw ice in. That's where the heating coils are! Twice, I miss the place where she said to add the salt because it's in such an odd place(which explains why ONE of the recipes came out badly) I think I will return this book and keep looking for that perfect bread book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rose has done it again... created a classic, that is, Oct. 20 2003
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Cookbook author/humorist Ann Hodgman once wrote, of Rose Levy Berenbaum's masterpiece The Cake Bible, that perhaps The Gideons should leave this "bible" in hotel bedrooms instead of that other, better-known one. Hodgman has a point. I have baked extensively from both of Berenbaum's previous "bibles," on cake and on pastry, and have yet to come up with a dud.
Since we're talking about bibles here, clearly Berenbaum finds that God is in the details. She gives clear, concise explanations of the "whys" of baking without ever getting tedious. I have been baking regularly for nearly thirty years, and yet in my first read-through of The Bread Bible, I learned at least a dozen facts that I hadn't previously known, and yet made perfect sense. For example, the inclusion of Wondra bleached, granulated flour (not a typical staple among serious bakers) in her Butter Popovers eliminate the resting period that the batter typically must undergo before baking.
Her books also inspire: A round, Gruyere-spiked cheese bread baked in a souffle dish--which Berenbaum whimsically names, "The Stud Muffin"--will send me out today on a quick trip for a couple of necessary, missing ingredients.
Berenbaum's recipes run the gamut from simple "quick" breads to more time-consuming (but hardly more difficult) artisanal loaves. She also provides sources for ingredients and equipment. This tome, with its gorgeous photographs and numerous line drawings, might intimidate some fledgling bakers, but don't let it! If it does, I suggest The King Arthur Flour's Baker's Companion. However, true breadheads are justified in wanting both.
Rose Levy Berenbaum's passion both for detail and for routinely spectacular results reminds me of Maida Heatter, whose equally comprehensive and delightful baking books inspired beginning bakers like me more than twenty years ago. Heatter's books have withstood the test of time. I'm sure Berenbaum's Bread Bible will become as annotated and batter-spattered as Heatter's books are in my kitchen. There's no higher praise than that!

2.0 out of 5 stars Possible error?, June 21 2004
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I was disappointed because the baguettes beginning on page 335 failed to rise enough and when baked they were what you might call mini-baguettes. One possible source of my problem is that I used a Canadian high-gluten bread flour instead of the specific brands of unbleached all-purpose flour insisted upon on p.338 of "The Bread Bible".
ARE THE FLOUR QUANTITIES FOR THE "DOUGH" ON PAGE 338 CORRECT?
The bread flour I used is described as "White Bread Flour" at:
[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much for me, May 30 2004
K. McDonald (Sitka, AK United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
I mistakenly bought this book when I was wanting to buy "The Bread Baker's Bible" I had seen at a friend's house. I have been a bread baker for more than 30 years but, while I love to bake and cook and do not shy away from complicated recipes, I do not care to invest the time and effort into bread making this book calls for. The editor's review is very accurate and had I known what I was really purchasing when I ordered this book and had read that review, I would not have gotten it. I think I'll put it on the shelf until all my kids are grown and I have more time to work at these recipes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a great book! Certainly not for someone looking for quick ..., June 30 2014
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Wow what a great book! Certainly not for someone looking for quick and simple recipes but for anyone looking to learn more advanced techniques this book is great. The rye bread recipe was amazing, but we also loved the bagels, English muffins, pumpernickel, grain bread and wheat bread.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great recipes and very informative., March 15 2013
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
My husband fell in love again! He is very pleased with "his bible" ... lol. I am more than pleased with his creations....

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly Worthwhile, Dec 16 2003
V. Wagner (Helena, MT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bread Bible (Hardcover)
Rose does a fabulous job explaining exactly how to bake bread. Each recipe details ingredients by both weight and volume. The recipies are divided into high-level steps. At each step, Rose first tells you what the goal of the step is (i.e. "shape the loaf") and then gives details instructions on how to do it. Once you've made a recipe, you only need to read high-level steps the next time. You'll also appreciate how Rose gives hints for success, including pointers about how you can make a long bread-rising schedule fit to your schedule - you can shape, rise, and bake the bread when it is convienent for you, not the bread.
The cinnamon-raisin-swirl bread is heavenly! I've learned how I can bake bread over several evenings instead of needing to be home all day long. Thanks Rose!

Bread Bible
Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum (Hardcover - Sept. 30 2003)
CDN$ 40.00 CDN$ 25.08