5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, lovely book!, Aug. 15 2010
C. J. Thompson "Arctic John" (Pond Inlet, Nunavut Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Okay ... after reading Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking and Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province by Fuschia Dunlop (and reviewing them at Amazon), I decided that I was going to marry here without further delay.... Sadly, my wife stepped in and said I wasn't allowed to. To assuage my disappointment, I had to console myself with merely reading her latest work ...

Well, it is excellent.... that's about all I can say.

In truth the book won't appeal to an audience much beyond fairly hard-core 'foodies' but that seems to be an increasing segment of the population these days so I hope Ms Dunlop reaps the financial benefits she deserves from this book. She, herself, only describes this book as a memoir of 'eating in China' but it is a lot more than that... It is a thoroughly informative and entertaining look at one chef's experiences interspersed with some insightful observations about the food culture in the east and west, and the interplay between them....

A great read!

C John Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Food and travel together; what could be better!, July 22 2012
This review is from: Sharks Fin And Sichuan Pepper (Hardcover)
This book is a must-read for foodies who like travel and for traveler who love food. A well-written memoir, funny, engaging description of Fucshia`s life in Sichuan.
Cookbooks by the same author are also fantastic.

Sharks Fin And Sichuan Pepper
Sharks Fin And Sichuan Pepper by Fuchsia Dunlop (Hardcover - March 25 2008)
CDN$ 24.95 CDN$ 15.64