countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

Format: Hardcover|Change

on July 5, 2016
I have been cooking my way through Every Grain of Rice by Fuchsia Dunlop for about two years now. I finally decided to read her memoir, Shark's Fin and Sichuan Pepper, to my great delight and enjoyment. An incredibly well-researched study of Chinese regional cuisines as well as a thoughtful, passionate, sparkling memoir.
on August 15, 2010
Okay ... after reading Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking and Revolutionary Chinese Cookbook: Recipes from Hunan Province by Fuschia Dunlop (and reviewing them at Amazon), I decided that I was going to marry here without further delay.... Sadly, my wife stepped in and said I wasn't allowed to. To assuage my disappointment, I had to console myself with merely reading her latest work ...

Well, it is excellent.... that's about all I can say.

In truth the book won't appeal to an audience much beyond fairly hard-core 'foodies' but that seems to be an increasing segment of the population these days so I hope Ms Dunlop reaps the financial benefits she deserves from this book. She, herself, only describes this book as a memoir of 'eating in China' but it is a lot more than that... It is a thoroughly informative and entertaining look at one chef's experiences interspersed with some insightful observations about the food culture in the east and west, and the interplay between them....

A great read!

C John Thompson
on July 22, 2012
This book is a must-read for foodies who like travel and for traveler who love food. A well-written memoir, funny, engaging description of Fucshia`s life in Sichuan.
Cookbooks by the same author are also fantastic.