summer boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyout Furniture All-New Kindle sports Tools Family

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
I read this book because I knew nothing about economics, except for the usual stuff one learns through the media. Consequently, due to the current economic climate, I felt the need to learn at least the very basics in a relatively painless way. This book was perfect in that regard. I chose this particular book because I was familiar with the author, having read and truly enjoyed his excellent "Naked Statistics".

In about 325 pages of text, the author succeeds, I believe, in conveying to any interested reader the basics of the various balancing acts that form the essence of economics from many different perspectives. I still don't know enough about this field to know whether the author was exhaustive in covering all the angles but what he did cover certainly satisfied my own curiosity. Although I did learn a great deal from this book, I did find some parts a bit more challenging than others; consequently, I would probably benefit from reading it again.

The author's prose is very friendly, lively, clear, often humorous and captivating. The book contains no formulas, no math, no figures, no tables or charts; in my case, I would have preferred to see some. However, as it is, this book can be both enjoyed and appreciated by any interested reader and could probably be used as a supplementary reference in a first course in economics.
on July 8, 2013
This book is so much more than a book on economics. Its a book on critical thinking/reasoning related to economics. It was a welcome surprise that the author doesn't dumb down any topics and goes to such depth to explain topics critically. This is not a 'Economics for dummies' book (nothing wrong with that). It is a well written, and accessible book for all readers interested in understanding our global situation.

I suggest this book to anyone that wants to exercise their brain and view economic topics critically with multiple view points.

ps. I also loved his other book 'Naked Statistics' which I've read first and brought me to Naked Economics. I will be looking for anything more coming out from this author. Much praise and very well done!
on September 30, 2015
Really enjoyed this book. Well written and grounded in real examples. Has red parked a renewed interest in economics for me!
on February 3, 2016
Good read. Like the examples and how everything is explained without technical terminology.
on July 17, 2014
I can't put this book down
on September 4, 2012
Except for the chapter on the fnancial system (market) which I think shuopld been more critisized, this book is a great read and went over my expectations in terms of coverage and knowledge. Greatly recommended!
on October 23, 2012
It was a great introduction to economics without any of the math I have no use for. It really met my expectations, I would recommend it to anyone picking up their first or second book about economics.