5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!
One of my favorites by Palahniuk after Fight Club.
Amazingly written, but not for those without a bit of a dark sense of humor!
Published 3 months ago by Melissa Neary

3.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece
It's difficult to follow up a work like Fight Club, but here, Palahniuk shows his prosaic dexterity by weaving the same old concept through a wonderfully different tale.
Published on July 6 2004 by D. Hubbard

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book!, Jan. 16 2014
This review is from: Survivor (Paperback)
One of my favorites by Palahniuk after Fight Club.
Amazingly written, but not for those without a bit of a dark sense of humor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Palahniuk's BEST book!, June 5 2005
This review is from: Survivor: A Novel (Paperback)
I've read both Choke and Fight Club, in that order, and I have to say, Survivor beats them both outright. You don't read this book, you hop on and ride the madness until you get off, either satisfied or nauseous, depending on your personality.
This book lets you know the protagonist is doomed from the very beginning. It opens from Flight 2039, about to crash in the Australian outback, with only one person remaining aboard: Tender Branson. He tells his story to the black box on board with him, and to us, as the chapter numbers count down. Tender is a survivor of the Creedish "death cult", who were supposedly religious fanatics who sold their children for labor, and then committed mass suicide when the authorities came to intervene. We weave through his life, seventeen to late thirties. It begins with him working as cleaning houses of the wealthy, keeping quiet about disturbing secrets of his employers. He steals fake flowers from graveyards, runs a help hotline telling everyone calling to kill themselves, and is visited by a social worker. He ends up a media superstar with a body that's half surgically enhanced, blurred by hundreds of combinations of drugs. And that's the mild stuff.
Chuck Palahniuk fills his books with frightening, little known trivia about the real world. How to get blood stains out of fur, how to scam Ronald McDonald Houses, how to get drugs from veterinarians. He then surrounds these facts with his fiction, making the story seem more real and more disturbing.
Survivor is completely unpredictable, unique, and darkly hilarious. I'll say this right now: I think it's brilliant. The insights and food for thought it provides make me laugh aloud and chill me. Palahniuk comments on society, he mocks society, without preaching once. The characters do things you dream to do in your darkest or most honest moments, but wouldn't dare. The storyline shocks you, takes twists and turns you'd never guess and I couldn't reveal here.
A typical paragraph of Survivor goes like this:
This isn't the most marketable job skill, but to get bloodstains out of wallpaper, put on a paste of cornstarch and cold water. This will work just as well to get blood out of a mattress or a davenport. The trick is to forget how fast these things can happen. Suicides. Accidents. Crimes of passion.
Just concentrate on the stain until your memory is completely erased. Practice really does make perfect. If you could call it that.
A downside is that Chuck Palahniuk uses a lot of repetition to make points, and while usually pulls it off excellently, occasionally it can get irritating or dull. It also doesn't have too much rereading value - after once or twice the thrill dulls and you don't feel like reading it again. Also, it is not for the faint at heart. It is fairly graphic and has the ability to shred most optimism. Some people have complained about how ambiguous the ending was, but I think that if he'd given it a solid ending the effect would have been weaker.
Okay. Enough. I loved it. Go find a copy and start reading it. If you liked his other work, you will definitely enjoy Survivor. Another recent Amazon pick I really enjoyed is The Losers Club: Complete Restored Edition by Richard Perez -- a totally obscure, totally great book that I can't stop thinking about. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars The guy just can't miss, March 10 2006
This review is from: Survivor: A Novel (Paperback)
I stumbled on SURVIVOR after a friend left the book at my house one afternoon. After reading this book, a(nother) Palahniuk addict was born. The only other author I’ve done this with was Jackson McCrae—think, his KATZENJAMMER which is somewhat Palahniuk-like. I was so intrigued by the twisted language and oddly found knowledge, I loved it (SURVIVOR). I couldn't take my eyes off the book, I'm sure it took me all of 2 days to read through the unfortunate but entertaining life of Creedish Death Cult 'Survivor' Tender Branson. I would suggest this book to anyone, and definitely any other of Palahniuk's books.

1.0 out of 5 stars I survived this garbage..., Sept. 16 2011
This review is from: Survivor: A Novel (Paperback)
I have read a lot of books and a lot of Chuck's books and I have never come across anything so over hyped. This book is aweful, don't waste you time or money. Boring, so boring... Imagine the movie Kingpin only full of meaningless fill and diatribes, with characters that still don't learn anything from the experience. Someone here said it was better than fight club? Maybe if you don't like fighting? The characters were barely developed, more effort was put into house cleaning tips than plot. This seems like it was a short story expanded out into a waste of my time novel.

The plot isn't even remotely believable and neither is the background story. Cults don't send their members away, and children don't become sexless slaves from being exposed to child birth - chidren havn't always been so sheltered from such things. It's a pathetic foundation for a writter of this supposed calibre.

I have never been this disapointed in a piece of writting.

Don't buy this....read the Raw Shark Texts instead, its hard to put down not hard to pick up.

5.0 out of 5 stars BETTER THAN FIGHT CLUB, May 9 2010
Brittany Levett "WhiteTigress" (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivor: A Novel (Paperback)
I ordered this book off of EBAY because I love it so much and could never find a secondhand copy in any bookstore (as if Chapters is getting any of my money)
I read fight club, invisible monsters and choke and would say the rest could all be skipped. Seriously, invisible monsters was written first and was only printed after fightclub because they thought it wasnt marketable. Choke has some funny parts, but overall doesnt quite make the cut (and the movie is worse) and fight club is one of those rarities where the movie is actually better. In the book they have marla's mother sending her fat in the mail which they make into soap and there is this large ensuing freakout on marla's part.
Now, survivor. I love the bitter way the author writes, I love the plot twists and I even learned how to clean things and remove stains!
Palahniuk's best book, ever.
period.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interested in the modern dangers of western society?, Sept. 16 2004
Irv (The Western hemisphere, above the equator) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivor: A Novel (Paperback)
As far as Palahniuk's books go, I'll say that this is both the best and most accessible to a general audience. The plot, which smacks of that postmodern touch which makes reading early Palahniuk so exciting, will appeal to those are are seriously interested in social justice, aescetic violence and our modern way of living. Critque of materialism also features in the book.
Certainly deserves a wider audience that it has apparently won thus far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece, July 6 2004
D. Hubbard "d-hubbs" (IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivor: A Novel (Paperback)
Tender Branson, the lone survivor of the Creedish cult, comes to terms with his instability as he prepares to crash a jetliner into the Australian outback. In classic Palahniuk style, it's a retrospective tale, adding to the misery and discontent with so much of the character's 20-20 hindsight. It's grim and it's dreary, (right in the same vein as Palahniuks other books) but this one is a masterfully dark story. The plot is winding and often overcomplicated, and in the end is somewhat unfulfilling, but the prosaic style is unparalleled. Another solid literary work.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dissapointing..., July 2 2004
Brandon Annette (Norco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivor: A Novel (Paperback)
Fight Club is one of my favorite movies so I decided to pick up another of Chuck's novels first, rather than read a book with a plot I already knew. i had really high expectations, but sadly I can't say that they were met. The writing is merely ok, but perhaps my standards have been raised after reading writers like James Joyce in my english lit class. i found a lot of the cultural references a bit forced, not as fresh and witty as the fight club film. the plot was weak on symbols and development, instead inserting bizarre occurances in an attempt to shock, which i saw coming from a mile away anyhow. still, it was an interesting and nowhere near terrible read, and the author has a clever take on pop culture, but i thought it was better represented in fight club, which i will read sometime in the near future. i would give it 2.5 stars if it would let me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this!, June 19 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Survivor: A Novel (Paperback)
This book rules, as do all of Palahniuk's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, June 17 2004
M. Leazer (Twin Falls, ID USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Survivor: A Novel (Paperback)
I read Fight Club first and it was a decent book. This was the next book of Palahniuk's that I read and I then read the rest. I have to say by far this is the best book I have ever read and not just by Palahniuk but out of all books I have read. I recomend this book to anyone and everyone.

ARRAY(0xbf2fcdec)

Survivor
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk (Paperback - March 30 2010)
CDN$ 17.00 CDN$ 12.27