4.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Italian Cookbook
Marcella Hazan is to Italian what Julia Child is to French: The person who introduced American cooks to a cuisine, and in so doing changed how we ate. This book is essential: both essential to anyone who wants to cook authentic Italian, and essentially Marcella.
This book has many virtues. It's very thorough -- a comprehensive survey of the various courses and food...
Published on Dec 29 2003 by Leslie D. Ehrlich

3.0 out of 5 stars Essentials of classic Italian
Lots of information on Italian foods, spices, etc. so it is a good source for someone wanting to learn about Italian food. The recipes are fairly simple and easy to follow. There are no pictures which is a problem.
Published 5 months ago by Shannon Bell

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book, July 5 2000
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
This is an incredible book. I have read it from cover to cover, and even lugged it on vacation to read (yes, I am a bit obsessive). Everything that I have tried so far has been wonderful. Marcella's recipes are very approachable, and, best of all, they work! I am not Italian, nor have I ever been to Italy, so I can not speak to it's authenticity as Italian cuisine, but I can speak to the fact that this is wonderful food. She does insist on high quality ingredients, with which I am in total agreement, but I wish that she had included name brand names and resources in this updated edition. I have yet to be able to find anchovies in salt--even on the internet! The tomato and butter sauce is now my favorite pasta sauce, the veal marsala is delicious, and the cream and butter sauce is also wonderful. She goes into incredible detail about making pasta, as well as pairing fresh and factory products with the appropriate sauce. I would highly recommend reading the first part of the book before diving into the recipes, because she discusses several cooking techniques, as well as how to determine quality in your ingredients. If you love simple, wonderful food, you will not be disappointed with Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Where's the mouth-watering photos!, Dec 29 1999
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
This book is well written and entertaining. The recipes are easy to follow and tasty. But, what I found to be most useful are the tips and tricks to Italian cooking. It clearly describes how to use olive oil, basil, and other herbs and spices. It tells you the origin and uses of Italian ingredients, as well as how and when to select them. The skills you will learn from this book will go a long way! The only thing this book lacks is photos. If you are like me and thouroghly enjoy seeing what your creation should end up looking like, then compliment this book with another. My best X-mas gift was "The Complete Italian Cookbook" by Carlo Bernasconi and Christian Teubner ISBN:1-898250-85-5. This is a 1999 book and not yet available through Amazon. Plan on spending a bundle, but it's dynamite! And for the photo lovers like me, it has 440 pages of recipes with at least one photo per recipe. Many photos are taken to show the step-by-step process. ALL photos in this book are HIGH quality color. You will find more photos in this book than your local-corner photo lab!

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious, Delicious, Delicious, Dec 1 1998
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
This is it: The single indispensable cookbook -- not just for Italian food, but for good food. Marcella's (sometimes acerbic) commentary on ingredients and recipes is wonderful, but the reason to buy this book is for the dishes. Almost everything I've made from this book has been an absolute treat, from the succulent mushroom and ham pasta sauce to the delectable stuffed tomatoes. And with the size of this compendium, you'll never run out of new tastes to try.
My one quibble? The desserts don't seem to measure up to the rest of the dishes. The two I've tried -- lemon almond cookies and the farm wive's pear tart -- were disappointing. The cookies tasted great, but had the texture of cardboard, while the "tart" was more like a clafouti; although I baked it far longer than the recipe called for, it remained doughy and wet. With all that ripe pear in the batter, though, it certainly tasted acceptable!
With two disappointments out of the 30-or-so fabulous recipes I've tried, this is still single finest book I've ever cooked from. (and much better than her recent huge success Marcella Cucina). Oh, the soups! Oh, the pastas! Oh, the vegetables! Oh, Marcella!

5.0 out of 5 stars Behold a Sacred Text, Feb. 15 2001
R. Williams "code slubber" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
I agree with the other reviewer here: this is the one cookbook I'd keep if I could only have one. This book takes you so far beyond spaghetti and meatballs you won't believe it. It is also meticulous, thorough, and yet very enjoyable just to read. Here are my favorite recipes:
1. The Bolognese Pork Roasted in Milk - this recipe is insane. It is like a wonderful chemistry set experiment you can eat. Marcella says it would be one of her top 10 choices of recipes that embody the genius of Italian Cuisine.
2. The Lemon Chicken - Also amazing. Easy to do, wonderful. Great summer dish.
3. Veal Stew w/Tomatoes and Peas
4. Veal Stew w/White Wine and Sage
Also, some of the standards are given great treatment:
1. Eggplant Parm
2. Osso Bucco (this is by FAR the best version I've seen of this).
3. Fried zucchini.
This makes a great gift too because it isn't full of esoteric stuff that only foodies (no derision intended) would make.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now That's Italian, April 17 2000
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
I divide my life into two periods: Life Before Marcella Hazan and Life After Marcella Hazan. Life is better now.
In my pre-Marcella life, I sought flavor in more and more ingredients--more spices, more herbs, more cheese varieties. My recipes were longer than the space shuttle's pre-flight checklist.
Marcella taught me the truth about flavor: it can spring from a few carefully selected ingredients, lovingly prepared.
Take Marcella's Tomato and Butter sauce for example: it is probably the best thing I've ever had in my mouth, yet there's almost nothing in it. Marcella reveals the key to this magic: imported Italian tomatoes (yes, it does make a difference) simmered slowly (uncovered) with butter and onion.
Similarly, the pork braised in milk is full of mouth-watering flavor. The ingredients: pork and milk. And the chicken with two lemons? You guessed it; the ingredients are two lemons and a chicken.
These foods will make you happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cookbook I Own, June 17 2002
J. Shorts "DPS" (Washington State) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
I gave my first copy of this to one of my best friends in 1999. I have been searching for one ever since. Now I have it, thanks to Amazon.
This book does what every cook in the world would like to do; ensure that every recipe comes out like it should. The book is flawless. The directions are from a woman who has been a chef forever. She has used every recipe. How many of us have bought a cookbook that did not show the recipes were tested?
If you buy this book and are a person with a limited budget, you are golden to go.
I have been cooking for 10 years with an army wife budget, and when I use these recipes, I get requests for the secrets. This book is the key to good cooking. It uses good ingredients, easy instructions, and the stories behind them leave the chef with a feeling of history.
Food should be so.
It is a celebration of meeting, eating, and tradition.
You can not go wrong with this book.
I love you Marcella.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE Definitive Italian Cookbook, March 20 2001
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
Oh Marcella - If only I were your child. I could have eaten your food instead of the Kraft Macaroni and Cheese castle I grew up in.
I cook a great deal. I own an awful lot of cookbooks. This is the most used book in my collection. Pages stained, binding broken, it's almost time to buy a replacement.
Her Roasted Lemon Chicken is a marvel of simplicity and taste. Her Roasted Chicken with Rosemary. Her Beef Marsala. Her Stewed Greenbeans and Tomatoes. Her Tomato and Butter Sauce, which I practically live on. God, she's just amazing.
There is a klunker or two among the roses. The pear tart is just awful. I tried making it a few times because it just read so well I couldn't imagine it was the recipe and not me making it so bad. But no. It's the recipe. The spinach and potato tart/pie (can't remember the recipe title) isn't very good. But that's about it. Everything else - wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cookbook, Feb. 16 2001
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
What I like about this book is that EVERY recipe is great. A cookbook can be worth it on the basis of one recipe, but with this book, you can make anything and be thrilled. I never have to wonder whether something will be good: I just make it and we all enjoy. I can't say the same about any other cookbook.
I don't mind the lack of photos: it's a nice surprise seeing how pretty the dishes are when you're done. The recipes are designed to emphasize the flavors of the ingredients to perfection, with purity and intensity. I have made side-by-sides of Hazan's versions (pesto, carbonera, piccata, rabbit, etc.) against other major cookbooks, and Hazan's is always the best. The pure tomato sauce for pasta is an elixir -- oops, I wasn't going to start counting favorites. ... As others have noted, too, the recipes are quick and easy, with readily available and stored ingredients.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I had to pick just one cookbook, this would be it., Jan. 2 1998
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
This is an extraordinary cookbook. It has recipes to tempt every palate. If I had to pick just one cookbook to own, this would be the one.
The recipes in this book are clear and easy to follow, and in addition, Ms. Hazan tells us about ingredients, which kind of eggplant is best, what kind of pasta would be tasty, etc. She also has sections on technique, such as how to make pasta. These recipes are the kind you can make and make again and not get sick of them. There are many simple yet extremely tasty dishes, such as my favorite, smothered onion pasta sauce.
Truly, this is a great cookbook that everyone should have. I can give it no greater recommendation, except to say that I shall be living abroad for half a year and only have room for a few books, and this is one of the few I'm taking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding recipes, but time-consuming!, July 26 2001
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
This is one of my top cookbooks, and I love to return to it just to read the descriptions of the food and the lifestyle that accompanies it. Some recipes are standards in our home, such as the Garlic-Infused Tomato Salad, the Salt and Olive Oil Foccacia, and the traditional Bolognaise sauce.
Nonetheless, I find that I don't tend to cook from it that often, because of the time-consuming nature and specialized ingredients of many of the recipes. It appears that most recipes are designed as though you had a couple of hours to dedicate to the execution of that recipe -- no shortcuts, little simplicity.
Still, it is THE bible of Italian cooking and covers every aspect and type of food in the region, so I can't give it anything less than five stars.

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan (Hardcover - Oct. 27 1992)
CDN$ 42.00 CDN$ 26.33