4.0 out of 5 stars The Essential Italian Cookbook
Marcella Hazan is to Italian what Julia Child is to French: The person who introduced American cooks to a cuisine, and in so doing changed how we ate. This book is essential: both essential to anyone who wants to cook authentic Italian, and essentially Marcella.
This book has many virtues. It's very thorough -- a comprehensive survey of the various courses and food...
Published on Dec 29 2003 by Leslie D. Ehrlich

3.0 out of 5 stars Essentials of classic Italian
Lots of information on Italian foods, spices, etc. so it is a good source for someone wanting to learn about Italian food. The recipes are fairly simple and easy to follow. There are no pictures which is a problem.
Published 4 months ago by Shannon Bell

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The basics, March 6 2014
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
I picked up this book after reading Bill Buford's "Heat" in an attempt to go deep with Italian cooking; I'm glad I did. Marchella provides an enlightened view on the principles of Italian cooking. After just 6 months, my copy is stained, dog eared, and well-used. A friend who is a first generation Italian-Canadian, said that his Italian-born mother has two Italian cook books in her house, and this was by far the more-used one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Surprising, Dec 16 2013
Aara Macauley "LadyPoe" (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
They call it essential for a reason. I have had this book for about 6 months and have tried close to a dozen recipes from it. Although some of the dishes are labour intensive, most are surprisingly simple. I can't tell you how many sauces I have made where I've looked at the very short ingredient list and the very simple instructions and though "there's no way this is going to taste like anything" only to be blown away by the final product. This is mindful, minimalist cooking with an emphasis on quality ingredients and maximizing flavour. This would be a particularly good beginner's cookbook, as it is friendly, with lots of explanation and great results, but it would be an inspiration to more advanced cooks as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best cookbook I own, Nov. 11 2013
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
Recipes are authentic and quite simple. Instructions are thorough and first part of book is very informative. My wife, who is no cook, has started using it and its working like a charm.

5.0 out of 5 stars My go to for Italian, April 16 2013
bookweasel (Calgary AB) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
I have owned this book for a little over a year. In that time it has become my reference for classic Italian cuisine. Clear and straight forward recipes. All the tips you need to achieve success. Good for the beginner and for the advanced home cook. The proof as always is in the eating and i have not had a poor experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, July 20 2014
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
Very pleased with used copy recieved,the only good cook book is a used one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably going to be a classic, Sept. 4 2010
C. J. Thompson "Arctic John" (Pond Inlet, Nunavut Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
I hate to be guilty of gushing hyperbole, but it would not surprise me if this great book became as well known a name as, say, Larousse Gastronomique: The World's Greatest Culinary Encyclopedia, Completely Revised and Updated, or The French Chef Cookbook. I very much tend to rate cookbooks depending on the quality of accompanying illustrations but this book is very limited in that regard but still shines as hugely useful and important work. While the book does contain recipes, of course, the focus is on technique and the included recipes serve as as a non-graphic illustration of each technique. I refer to it constantly.

John Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars it has made my son into a lover of cooking and great tasting food!, Nov. 8 2008
Babs (Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
This is a top notch book! My son , age 16, received it for a xmas present and hasnt stopped cooking! Each recipie is flavorful and beautiful. Good tasting, lovely food. He now buys micheline star cook books. This has given him a love of good quality food!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Food and Essential Help in the Kitchen!, Feb. 11 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
This is the best darn cookbook that money can buy. It has STUPENDOUS recipes and it has hints and tips that have made me a better chef. From Spaghetti Bolognese to Fritattas, to Lentil Soups, etc. this is the book to be reading. AND the recipes are not difficult, they are explained very well (although there's practically no pictures of the dishes you will be making). It's just a question about whether or not you have the time to cook. If you do have the time, you'll be delighted. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Joy of Cooking" of Italian Cuisine, Oct. 5 2003
Imperial Topaz (Marrakesh, Morocco) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
The very first recipe I tried out of this book was a great success. My ten-year-old daughter, her friend, and I followed one of the recipes for making homemade linguini (flat spaghetti), by rolling out the dough, cutting it into strips, and boiling it in water! Then we ate it with tomato sauce, and it was a GREAT SUCCESS!
This book is very comprehensive. It could be called the "Joy of Cooking," of Italian Cuisine, having chapters on just about every possible type of Italian food. Directions are given for making EVERYTHING from SCRATCH, the traditional, Italian way. So buy this book if you are a GOURMET cook, who enjoys spending hours in the kitchen-it is NOT for the busy housewife who has to get a quick dinner on the table. Completely separate chapters include Fundamentals, Appetizers, Soups, Pasta, Risotto, Gnocchi, Crespelle, Polenta, Frittate, Fish and Shellfish, Chicken-Squab-Duck-Rabbit, Veal, Beef, Lamb, Pork, Variety Meats, Salads, Desserts, Focaccia-Pizza-Bread-Other Special Doughs, and At the Table.
So far, my family has enjoyed every recipe we have tried.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, delicious food that is easy to prepare, Sept. 7 2003
R. Worley "hello" (Ny, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (Hardcover)
Someone gave my wife and I this book, and we have used this as our primary cook book for the last three years. Every dish in this book is excellent - and the best Italian is the Italian you make at home. Using this book as a guide, we have been making dishes that easily surpass almost every restaurant out there. The ingredients are simple, and the cooking is easy, though some dishes do take time. Try the bolognese sauce! or the smothered onions!

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking
Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan (Hardcover - Oct. 27 1992)
CDN$ 42.00 CDN$ 26.33