Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: PaperbackChange

on July 31, 2001
The nice thing about the Pantheon edition is that the translation tends to be quite literal, so it's a very good one for someone learning German to use side-by-side with the original. (Plus the stories are great!)
Oh, and by the way: The Brothers Grimm were not folklorists, but linguists (besides making a huuuge German dictionary, they were the ones showed that German, English, Dutch, etc. are related to Greek and Latin). The reason they collected folktales is because they were looking for dialect-specimens and this is an old linguists' trick--you get a much purer version of speech in the (linguistically) relaxed folktales than you do in interviews.
on February 1, 2004
1. Very thin paper used. (recycled?) If this is for environmental purposes, I support it. If it is just to save on production costs, I don't.
2. Ugly, crowed typesetting that would be more at home in a newspaper.
3. Jumbled illustrations by different artists with different styles, none of which are credited, and many are placed out of synch with the corresponding stories. Very few of the illustrations are worth a second glance.
4. Weakly bound. Will fall apart with regular reading.
5. The prose is dreadful. Or is that the stories sound better in their native German???
6. My copy arrived covered in inexplicable dark smudges.
7. Not for collectors, or those who like quality books.
8. Note: If you are buying for your children, they will probably be bored by the stories, or not understand them. As one reviewer pointed out, they were never complied for children in the first place.
on June 19, 2003
Much has been written about the content of the stories and comments regarding violence and harshness have been discussed. Today's "wordly-wise" young people see this sort of thing on television and in the movies. Reading classics written years ago, as fairy tales is both educational and enlightening. Not for the very young, but certainly stories pre-teens and young teens can find interesting. I read them as a pre-teen and they still linger on today. Don't be afraid of Grimm's Fairy Tales. They are enduring classics through the ages!
Evelyn Horan - author
Jeannie, A Texas Frontier Girl Books One - Three
on April 10, 2000
Even if your not a scholar, this tremendous read-aloud reaches all the way back to the voices of the oral tradition, whose rich language and images will transport you to a magical state of being. The Frog King begins "In olden times when wishing still helped one, there lived a king whose daughters were all beautiful, but the youngest was so beautiful that the sun itself, which has seen so much, was astonished whenever it shone in her face." Try that at dusk or by candle light, and see if an awed hush doesn't fall over your listener(s)!
For those with a more serious bent, this is perhaps the most accurate English translation of the Grimm's recordings of the oral tales. The complete collection lets you compare the patterns and rhythms of language and story line. The introduction by Padraic Colum and end commentary by Joseph Campbell (some 30 pages) are an added treasure. This version is frequently used by Waldorf teachers, and is "must have" for all primary teachers and families with children.
on March 27, 2000
I haven't and won't be buying this or the companion book (Anderson). It's nice to have all the stories together agreed but not if they are scrambled about in the wrong order. As I've heard from other people on this site, the pages are thin and cheapy and illustrations are few. It's plain to me that this woman is just ripping off the Grimm's name. Not doing justice to the stories at all. Until a definitive Grimm's book becomes available pick up a classic copy from ebay or a second hand bookstore..I just bought one for 10 dollars..published in 1945. It's in excellent condition too. It only has 55 stories but all the favourites are there and the drawings are great! You get a much more "old world" feeling when reading the stories when it's an old copy too..the smell of old just makes it more special.
on March 27, 1998
I loved the old fashioned illustrations but it wasn't "genuine Grimms" in my opinion and the stories themselves had been rearranged from their original order. A common mistake, but I prefer the stories as they were meant to be arranged.
on October 6, 1999
At the age of nine, I was given this book as a gift and remembered reading it intensely, which is why I purchased this book so I could read the stories to my child as he gets older. What I didn't remember, however, was the underlying dark themes to these stories. They all seem to be plagued by a reference to death, violence, and sex discrimination in one way or another. My intentions were to read these stories at bed time, which I can only imagine would create nightmares. In addition, the translation done may be a little difficult to understand since references are often made in old English. I still like the stories, but would not recommend them as reading for a child under the age of nine.
on May 13, 2004
My experience was this book was bad, but that was my fault for not reading the other reviews before buying it. If you know what you're buying, it's a good book (which is why I'm giving it four stars).
I bought this to read with my children. Don't do that unless your kids are teenagers at least. The original stories aren't meant for small children. At a minimum the kids get bored; at the worst, they'll be terrified.
I didn't care for the quality of the book myself; it looks like it was layed out by somebody that normally designs dictionaries or phone books. But you might like dense copy and inconsistent illustrations.
on February 19, 2003
Standing in a children's book store, I read my first Grimm's fairy tale and I was hooked. I was attracted by how odd the stories were to my modern eyes - I never knew that the wicked sisters' feet were cut up, and their eyes pecked out in the real Cinderella! Obviously the tales can be violent and gory, some of them have also been marked anti-semetic. This may not be a book for small children, but it is over 800 pages of wonderful storytelling. These are fairy tales that will live on forever in your heart.
on January 28, 2004
I received this book as a gift from my sister. Upon reading the reviews she was skeptical to buy it, thankfully she bought the book regardless.(Thank you, Thank you!!!)
I don't see the poor quality that many have discussed.The pages are thin of paper but thick with words and quality to captivate a Fairy Tale lover. Oral story telling has been a tradition for centuries, and this book keeps that alive. These stories are definately memorable and after you've read them you can tell them over and over.
I remember many of these stories from my childhood. They're rich with imagery. Maybe many of them were never intended for small children... but if you can look past the grim images of some stories you will find a deep lesson. I even see some religious symbolism in some of the tales which border on same idea lines as Biblical stories.
I disagree with the negativity and poor ratings this book has gotten. I think it is a must have for the Literature and Fairy Tale collectors (if not for the quality of the book, then definately the quality of the stories therein). Considering that early versions of the book were written in 1812 and its still sold widely today, there must be something about it that causes people to wonder about those brothers Grimm.
Give this book a second glance!!