5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Tom
Published on June 18 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but I was expecting more
I liked the book, as a whole, but if you are planning to buy it, the songs, OEDIPUS, ALMA, MAKES A FELLA PROUD TO BE A SOLDIER, CLEMENTINE are missing. Also, in MY HOME TOWN the line omitted in all recordings is also omitted. A last comment, many of the scores are different from those used by Mr. Lehrer in performances.
Published on March 23 1999 by G. Sager

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Tom, June 18 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer (Paperback)
My father first encountered Tom Lehrer in college, and I grew up listening to his sarcastic melodies. When I began my bright college days, I found many like-minded Lehrer fans there. This songbook provides hours of boistrous belting with friends, offering lyrics to indoctrinate the ignorant few and sheet music for the ivory tickler of your club. Do not be afraid to imbellish the score, create your own harmony, or ignore intonation altogether; but remember of course to sing with your glasses raised on high.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but I was expecting more, March 23 1999
G. Sager (NJ) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories From My Own "Bright College Days", June 28 2000
Loren D. Morrison "amateur_reviewer" (Los Angeles County, U.S.A.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer (Paperback)
I first came across Tom Lehrer during my own "Bright College Days" in the 50's. He affected me in ways that no other song writer or entertainer before or since has done. By this, I mean that, at any time and for no apparent reason I am very likely to start singing the lyrics from one of his songs.
For example, every winter when I see the first department store Christmas display, I burst out with "Hark the Herald-Tribune Sings advertising wondrous things. God rest you merry merchants may you make the Yuletide pay." I can't help it, I think that I've been brainwashed. This book is further food for my Lehrer addiction.
If you were to see me in a park where someone is feeding bread crumbs to pigeons you could probably guess what song is on my mind.
I'm always amazed that so many of my contemporaries haven't a clue as to the source of my outbursts. They need this book. I had always thought that Tom Lehrer addiction was universal. Anyone who was around me in those days couldn't avoid being afflicted with Lehreritis.
In speaking of my love for Lehrer's lyrics, I don't want to short change Ronald Searle. His illustrations capture Lehrer's madcap kind of humor. They have just the right amount of irreverence.
I'd like to see this book republished so I could make a pest of myself trying to get all my friends to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book has good selection at a good value., July 29 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book a great deal, and here is why. There are thirty-four songs of his in this book and in most of the songs the piano part is very close to what Tom Lehrer played on his albums. The book contains piano, guitar chords, and the vocal score. I highly recommend this book over the hardback book, "The Tom Lehrer Song Book." This other book only contains twelve songs and I believe it costs more. You will get every cent of your money's worth with "Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer." The only reason I don't give it five stars is that it does not have all of his songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three cheers for Tom, Aug. 12 2003
Hugo Calendar (Monument, CO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer (Paperback)
Most people considering buying this book already know Tom Lehrer's work from listening to it, and will hopefully agree with me that nothing quite measures up in terms of musical comedy. Here's your chance to also play the tunes as you sing them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Lehrer's muse is not inhibited by taste... thankfully, Sept. 4 1999
djh (Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer (Paperback)
For anyone that has ever heard a Tom Lehrer song and become an instant devotee this book will assuredly help his retirement fund - and good luck to him. For many, Tom Lehrer was (and still is) one of the best and blackest satirists of the 1940's - 1960's. The humour and vitriol in his songs is as fresh as ever in this book and you too will find yourself wanting to Poison Pigeons in the Park, Be Prepared, dance either the Masochism Tango or the Vatican Rag and generally All Go Together When We Go.
There is no neat way of explaining Tom Lehrer thankfully. Just buy it.

Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer
Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer by Tom Lehrer (Paperback - Oct. 12 1981)
CDN$ 22.95 CDN$ 16.57