Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Home, Kitchen and Garden Gift Guide

Format: PaperbackChange

Showing 1-4 of 4 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on June 18, 2000
My father first encountered Tom Lehrer in college, and I grew up listening to his sarcastic melodies. When I began my bright college days, I found many like-minded Lehrer fans there. This songbook provides hours of boistrous belting with friends, offering lyrics to indoctrinate the ignorant few and sheet music for the ivory tickler of your club. Do not be afraid to imbellish the score, create your own harmony, or ignore intonation altogether; but remember of course to sing with your glasses raised on high.
on June 28, 2000
I first came across Tom Lehrer during my own "Bright College Days" in the 50's. He affected me in ways that no other song writer or entertainer before or since has done. By this, I mean that, at any time and for no apparent reason I am very likely to start singing the lyrics from one of his songs.
For example, every winter when I see the first department store Christmas display, I burst out with "Hark the Herald-Tribune Sings advertising wondrous things. God rest you merry merchants may you make the Yuletide pay." I can't help it, I think that I've been brainwashed. This book is further food for my Lehrer addiction.
If you were to see me in a park where someone is feeding bread crumbs to pigeons you could probably guess what song is on my mind.
I'm always amazed that so many of my contemporaries haven't a clue as to the source of my outbursts. They need this book. I had always thought that Tom Lehrer addiction was universal. Anyone who was around me in those days couldn't avoid being afflicted with Lehreritis.
In speaking of my love for Lehrer's lyrics, I don't want to short change Ronald Searle. His illustrations capture Lehrer's madcap kind of humor. They have just the right amount of irreverence.
I'd like to see this book republished so I could make a pest of myself trying to get all my friends to buy it.
on September 4, 1999
For anyone that has ever heard a Tom Lehrer song and become an instant devotee this book will assuredly help his retirement fund - and good luck to him. For many, Tom Lehrer was (and still is) one of the best and blackest satirists of the 1940's - 1960's. The humour and vitriol in his songs is as fresh as ever in this book and you too will find yourself wanting to Poison Pigeons in the Park, Be Prepared, dance either the Masochism Tango or the Vatican Rag and generally All Go Together When We Go.
There is no neat way of explaining Tom Lehrer thankfully. Just buy it.
on August 12, 2003
Most people considering buying this book already know Tom Lehrer's work from listening to it, and will hopefully agree with me that nothing quite measures up in terms of musical comedy. Here's your chance to also play the tunes as you sing them.