5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss provides his own special type of ABC book
Published on April 25 2004 by Lawrance M. Bernabo

2.0 out of 5 stars whoa...SLOW down!
The music and reading is fun, but it is way too fast, my 3.5 year old twins can barely keep up...it doesn't give the child any time to look at the pages!
Published on April 7 2000 by Becky

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss provides his own special type of ABC book, April 25 2004
Lawrance M. Bernabo (The Zenith City, Duluth, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's ABC (Library Binding)
In 1954 "Life" magazine published a report about the problem of illiteracy among the nation's school children and placed part of the blame on the fact that books that were supposed to teach children to read were boring ("See Spot Run. Run Spot run. Fetch the ball, Spot"). Theodore Geisel's publisher sent him a list of 400 words that the author was to cut to 250 words, the number the publisher felt a first grader could absorb, and write a book. "The Cat in the Hat" uses only 220 words and made Dr. Seuss an instant success with beginning readers. Eventually he would go on to write almost four dozen books for children to read all by themselves.
Of course sooner or later Dr. Seuss was going to put out his own alphabet book for beginning readers and in 1963 this book was published. It is, as you would expect, more than a look at the twenty-six letters of the alphabet. Other books will tell you that "A is for Apple" and "Z is for Zebra," but not Dr. Seuss because this book stars with "Aunt Annie's alligator" and ends with a "Zizzer-Zazzer-Zuzz." Young readers will also enjoy the mix of rhyme and absurdity so much that they might not notice Dr. Seuss is also showing them the difference between the big and little versions of each letter.
As I was reading over "Dr. Seuss's ABC," a book that most definitely wants to be read aloud to be fully enjoyed, I was wondering if I should temper my enthusiasm by saying that this is not an ideal choice for a beginning reader's first alphabet book. After all, something simpler, in the traditional "A is for Apple" mode might be more appropriate. But I think there is something to be said for even beginning readers being confronted with the level of sophistication found in this book. After all, it promotes fun as much as reading and young children might never notice the degree to which they are being challenged.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME Book!, May 23 2002
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's ABC (Hardcover)
Welcome to the wonderful world of whimsical, wacky writing, and crazy, colorful caricatures - "Big Q, little q what begins with Q? The quick Queen of Quincy and her quacking quacker-oo." An excellent educational tool, "Dr. Seuss's ABC" is an inspired introduction to the alphabet, both upper and lowercase letters, and also reinforces letter sounds through alliteration. The rhythm is so musical, it's addictive, rendering it GREAT fun to read aloud.
I own the "adapted" board book edition as well, which is designed to appeal to newborns, and very young children with short attention spans who are not attentive enough for the full text versions. The text, format, and images have been adapted to accommodate board book standards; yet, the phrasing and prose still flow. That being said, the original is just that - ORIGINAL. It is more amusing, entertaining, and educational, but is appropriate for older children, 4 years and older. If your child is three or older purchase an original version, otherwise think of introducing your infant to the shorter, travel-anywhere format, and procure the original at a later date? The marvelous, magical magician, who was Dr. Seuss, is worth it! Four-years and up.

5.0 out of 5 stars We're a 2nd-generation Dr. Suess family. . ., Jan. 26 2001
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's ABC (Hardcover)
. . .the other reviewers have described this one very well, so I'll just add my random thoughts about it. I read somewhere once that the best way to read this edition of Dr. Suess' ABC book was to sing it aloud to the tune of the "ABC Song" (the same melody as "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star"). That usually results in hysterics around our house--mainly because Mom can't sing very well and stumbles over "Sammy sipped six sodas and got sick sick sick." We got the "Board Book" edition when our daughter was 18 months old and read it to her nearly every night. When she got this edition as a present, she insisted on reciting the alphabet every time we reached a page that recapped the letters the book had already gone through. And she almost always comments on the ways this one differs from the "baby version."
Reading Dr. Suess was something I did as a child, and this book was the best tool for helping my daughter learn her alphabet at an early age. You never outgrow Dr. Suess, in my humble opinion!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for Kids and Adults alike, Nov. 16 2002
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's ABC (Hardcover)
Dr. Seuss takes his wild imagination and fun and turns it into one of the better alphabet books for kids. Every letter includes several appropriate items. They can range from the ordinary, left leg for "L", to the humorous. My family can still tell you exactly what begins with "Q", and we haven't reread this book in at least 15 years.
Parents tired of the standard "A" is for apple, "B" if for ball book will find a breath of fresh air here, too. They'll be laughing at some of the sentences and enjoying the meter used throughout.
This book bills itself as an "I Can Read" book. I hesitate slightly only because Dr. Seuss does throw a few of his trademark unusual characters into the mix. A parent will need to be close by to help their child sound out the harder words.
Dr. Seuss was a master at making picture books fun for all ages. This is a classic example parents will enjoy reading time and time again, even if their kids ask for it every night.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another winner..., July 30 2002
Ms Diva "cycworker" (Nanaimo, B.C. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's ABC (Hardcover)
This is yet another staple at our summer reading program for primary age (kindergarten to gr. 3 or 4) students. It's not one we do with the whole group - a tutor will read it with particular children who have trouble with basic letter sounds and recognition. It's been extremely helpful to our students. It's easy to read and it has all Seuss's regular features, good rhymes, illustrations, and alot of charm. I'd give it 5 stars, but some of the drawings and humor don't quite live up to legendary books like Green Eggs and Ham. Also, I was disappointed that as the book went on, Seuss didn't give kids a chance to think of a word that started with the letter -- he'd have the letter and some words that begin with that letter all on the same page. From a teaching perspective, the other way would've been more useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss' ABC, Aug. 29 2001
Troy J. Westcott (Kiryu Shi, Gunma Ken Japan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's ABC (Hardcover)
We are an international family, meaning that my wife is Japanese, I'm am American, and our daughter is both. We live in Japan, and hence the language our daughter hears the majority of the time is Japanese, which had me worried about her future English ability. This book as done much a lay those fears to rest. The pictures are fun, the sound or word patterns are nice to repeat, and easy to remember, which makes this a wonderful book for a 2 year old. On top of the fun aspect, she was able to recognize many of the letters after reading the book with me only a couple of times. This is a fun way to teach small children the alphabet and letter sounds, although the reader (me) did have to practice several of the pages before a smooth reading was possible, this entertained my daughter to no end!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is to be sung, July 28 2003
Joshua Koppel (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's ABC (Hardcover)
One of many alphabet books. But this one has the whimsical rhymes and drawings of Dr. Seuss. Just remember that the book is better when sung. Yes, that's right, sing the book. Just sing it to the tune of the ABC song (also the same tune as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and Baa Baa Black Sheep).
The rhymes, the singing, the pictures, all come together to make this a wonderful book, one that really helped my daughter learn the alphabet.
With this book and Sandra Boyntons ABC book (Aardvark admiring, Beavers ballooning, Cats cleaning, etc.), learning the alphabet will be fun fun fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars �ABC� by Dr. Seuss, Nov. 3 2002
By A Customer
"ABC" by Dr. Seuss
This book contains all the letters from the alphabet and a bunch of zany, nonsense words that have some great humor in reading them out loud to a group of kids, or just having your child(ren) reading them alone, or out loud to someone else around them. As the book progresses it has some weird phrases and word combinations, like "Big Q, little q what begins with Q? The quick Queen of Quincy and her quacking quacker-oo." This is a real nice beginner, and not intermediate but still a low reading level, book for kids who have trouble with their letters and words.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, May 18 2004
John R. Stracke Jr. "bibliophiliac" (Outside Boston) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's ABC (Hardcover)
I had this book as a kid, and never forgot "X is very useful if your name is Nixie Knox. It also comes in handy for spelling ax and extra fox." I bought for my two-year-olds a couple of months ago, and they love it. It seems to be making an impression, too; last week I found that Arthur was able to recognize some of the letters in his name. And they're *constantly* quoting "Camel on the ceiling". :-)
Do not bother with the board book edition, though; it's been butchered. They've expunged Nixie Knox, for one thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Family Classic, April 12 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's ABC (Hardcover)
Although I wouldn't normally consider a ABC book apporiate for older children, this on was the exception to the rule. The rhyming text appealed as much to my 7yrold as it did to my 3yr old; an added bonus the older child was able to read it to the younger child. It made for great bonding time for both children. As a pediatric nurse I read a lot to the children I take care of when they wake up in the middle of the night, this never fails to get them gigging and relaxes them; I enjoy it too.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Dr. Seuss's ABC
Dr. Seuss's ABC by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - Aug. 12 1960)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49