5.0 out of 5 stars PLAYING WITH WORDS CAN BE FUN
There can be no better way to increase a child's confidence in his use of language than playing games with words.
Published on Feb. 27 2001 by hurburgh

3.0 out of 5 stars Fox In Socks
This book is good because people could learn to read with it. They could even learn English with a lot of Dr. Seuss books. He made many books rhyme. He made many books so people could learn to read easily in low level so little kids could read it. They are going to have fun because it is hard to read rhyme books. I like it because peolple could read it in their own...
Published on April 4 2002

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars PLAYING WITH WORDS CAN BE FUN, Feb. 27 2001
Dr Seuss' "Fox in Socks" will take children on a voyage. They will giggle with all the words that rhyme. They will laugh at all the words that spill across the pages, and they will start to see that even nonsense words can sometimes be something special.
Children will learn that a few simple words can be put together in endless combinations. They will see that language can have structure and a story can be built upon the simplest of ideas.
Dr Seuss gets us to focus on and practice all the tricky sounds that make up our words and sometimes cause us to be lazy with our speech. He takes us from a "quick trick brick stack" to one made of blocks, chicks and clocks.
Lots of little tongues have trouble pronouncing Ls. Let them loose on Luke Luck likes lakes".
On a more serious note it could be expected that children who occasionally stumble or stutter with their words may benefit from immersing themselves in the wonderful world of Dr Seuss' "Fox in Socks".
The pictures, once you get to know the style, really grow on you. You just have to keep coming back for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tricky, Tongue-Twisting Traipses Through Thorough Thoughts, Oct. 15 2000
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is simply (actually, not so simply) the best beginning book ever for reading aloud!
Children learn to read by first hearing adults read aloud to them. The funnier and more memorable the story, the faster the child learns. In this outstanding book, Dr. Seuss has created delightfully convoluted tongue-twisters to engage enormous laughter, combined with lots of learning. You'll have a ball reading this book out loud, and hearing your child read it with you. Such experiences are great bases for building emotional support and comfort for your child, and establishing a lifelong closeness with your child.
What is absolutely brilliant about the book is that it creates forgiveness for any errors that occur. Mr. Knox, the person who cannot easily say the tongue-twisters, is the hero of the story. This, too, encourages learning. We are expected to mis-say these sentences. Reprieved by Dr. Seuss from the sentence of perfection, we go ahead with more confidence into our laughter.
Here's you first warning: "This is a book you READ ALOUD to find out how smart your tongue is. The first time you read it, don't go fast! This Fox is a tricky fox. He'll try to get your tongue in trouble." Notice, that since only your tongue can get into trouble, you as a person are safe. What a wonderful, loving way to encourage your child!
Your tongue also gets sympathy at the end. "How is your Tongue Numb?"
Everybody can handle the first page. "Fox Socks Box Knox" But it gets harder, "They call this a muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle paddle battle."
Mr. Fox is good at coming up with challenges. Mr. Knox is quickly overwhelmed, and Mr. Fox comes up with a harder one each time despite agreeing to come up with an easier one.
But Mr. Knox comes out on top in the end. "When a fox is in the bottle where the tweetle beetle battles with their paddles in a puddle on a noodle-eating poodle, THIS is what they call . . . a tweetle beetle noodle poodle bottled paddled muddled duddled fuddled muddled fox in sox, sir!"
After memorization is quite far along, you can have races and time how long it takes to read the book. Children love to be timed doing things and take great pleasure in their progress. I suggest that you not race yourself, for that might discourage a child who goes more slowly than you do.
You can also use these sentences to point out how word order affects meaning. There are many advanced grammar lessons in this material, that will help you child write better.
In typical Dr. Seuss fashion, though, the drawings are the best part. You will see more complex, amalgamated images than you can possibly imagine, and each one visually reinforces the importance of word sequencing.
Having been challenged by this convoluted cove of cavernous cacophony, it will eventually occur to your child that reading such siblilant spoutings of stirruped stentorian sounds . . . is most easily done silently. So the learning to read process will naturally progress from the book's content. Yet, the silent reading will be predictably punctuated with great gales of laughter, built from the experience of reading the book aloud with you. You'll smile when you hear the familiar laughs.
As you can see, this is not so simply a brilliant book. It will provide your family with endless fun and learning.
After you have finished mastering this book aloud, I suggest that you and your child write your own version. You'll have even more fun with that one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss genius at work, March 22 1998
Tess Capra (Greensboro, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition (Hardcover)
Sure, it teaches valuable vocabulary words and rhyme schemes to tiny tots. And no doubt there's a thesis somewhere comparing hapless Knox to Stalin knocking heads against the red-white-and-blue American Fox. But *Fox in Socks* is above all other things the first instrument of torture children can use against their parents.
Take Father, tired out from a hard day at the office. "Read me a story, Daddy," coos his blond princess. Father bravely tries to wrap his tongue around "Luke Luck likes lakes./ Luke's duck likes lakes." Daddy's little angel chortles with each misspoken word -- and there are plenty of them by the time he arrives at the muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle battle paddle battle." She goes to sleep secure in the knowledge that not only can she grow up to be president, but that she's already smarter than her poor parents.
And that's the genius of Dr. Suess. His tongue teasers and outrageous Goo Gooses and Bim Bens and Tweedle Beetles don't just
foster imagination -- they encourage kids to let it run rampant.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Dr. Seuss tongue twisting workout!, March 14 2001
This review is from: Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition (Hardcover)
Dr. Seuss has created another entertaining children's classic with "Fox in Socks." The plot is simple: the clever title character dazzles his friend Knox with a series of increasingly complex tongue twisters. Along the way, Seuss reveals a number of fantastic images: a marching band in which all the musicians are pigs, a crow in a top hat, and more.
The book even has a touch of science fiction when the Fox introduces Knox to a weird lake of chewing gum-like blue goo. But it's the tongue twisting rhymes that are the central attraction of this book. By the time you get to the "muddle puddle tweetle poodle beetle noodle bottle paddle battle," you will certainly appreciate Seuss's writerly virtuosity. This is a fun book, and the Fox earns his place alongside Seuss's most memorable characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Seuss for Children of Any Age - Better than 5 Stars, Jan. 13 2002
S. Miska (Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition (Hardcover)
Although Amazon advertises this book for ages 4-8, my wife and I started reading this and other Seuss books to our children from 6 months on. Always a delight, our kids would laugh at the silliness while acquiring a zest for life at the same time. We started a great habit of reading two or three Seuss books before bed, and the kids loved them. Soon, they would memorize many of the phrases, beginning a lifelong passion for reading.
Every kid should experience reading Fox in Socks while growing up. Join the Fox in Socks as he leads Mr. Knox on a zany adventure of learning and silly rhymes. Combine it with other fun Seuss books and your kids will sit enthralled as you turn the pages. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wacky, rhyming, tongue-tangling fun!, March 20 1998
This review is from: Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition (Hardcover)
Even though it elicits the occasional groan of agony from the adult doing the reading, Fox in Socks is THE favorite book in our house!
That silly, socks-wearing fox and poor, beleaguered Mr. Knox have brought many a giggle to our bed-time reading adventures, not to mention the childish howls of laughter heard during the pathetic, tongue-tripping rendition presented by the victim...ahem...parent chosen to do the reading. From the start of the game to the beetle-battle atop the noodle-eating poodle at the end of the story, Fox in Socks is a frolicking romp for kids of all ages.
Every house with or without children should have this book-it's a classic no library should be without!

5.0 out of 5 stars FOX IN SOCKS ROCKS!, Dec 6 2000
This review is from: Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition (Hardcover)
I definitely recommend the book called Fox in Socks by Dr. Seuss. I recommend it because it's fun to read aloud. Also, when I first read it, it was so challenging that my tongue was tied up in knots! It was so hard that my mom could barely read it to me out loud. When I was little I practiced. Now (since I practiced) I'm a lot better than when I was five-years-old. When I could finally read it good, I was so proud that I read it to my mom. She was amazed at how fast and good I could read it! She clapped.......and clapped........and kept on clapping. I was about to rate it my second place book, but now I rate it my first place book!

4.0 out of 5 stars A must have in your library to read aloud to your children, March 27 2002
Deanna Hockey (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition (Hardcover)
I grew up with Dr Suess books so I couldn't wait to share them with my own children. The books are illustrated simply, the text is easy to read and creatively laid out and the silly rhymes make me and my children laugh.
What I've noticed from reading them Dr Suess books (they are 1 and 2.5 years) that it has really helped my 2.5 year old with increasing her vocabularly, saying words properly and recognising sounds that a letter or group of letters make. A wonderful series of books to read aloud to your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tweedle Beetles, Nov. 28 2002
Karen Snow (King, NC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition (Hardcover)
Since my son was 2, he's now 3, we've been reading this. It is one of his favorite books! He really enjoys the tweedle beetles and Mommie gets to practice speaking clearly and pronunciating correctly. It's almost a test for me, but so much fun! Reading this book allows the parent to practice using tone when reading...children associate stories with the voice their parent uses while reading. Dr. Seuss's method of rhyming really gets a child's attention. This book has been a wonderful experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars fox in socks, Feb. 20 2001
This review is from: Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition (Hardcover)
I tought hat Fox In Sox was an good book.I didn't give the book five stars because it would be hard for a little kid to say all the tongue twisters. All though the tongue twisters of kind of messed up they are fun to read. Also I thought that the pictures were funny. Also I thought that the made up words were fun to read also. I think the advice on the cover is nice because it is hard to read the book fast the first time because of the choice of words. All in all this was a good book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition
Fox in Socks: 50th Anniversay Edition by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - Jan. 12 1965)
CDN$ 9.99 CDN$ 9.49