5.0 out of 5 stars Scrooge for Kids
Published on Dec 9 2003 by Mark Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as advertised
The book arrived in reasonable time, considering the Canada Post dispute that was going on. However, there was no Audio CD, and the front pages were torn more than I would have expected.
Published on July 8 2011 by Eileen Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrooge for Kids, Dec 9 2003
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
Maybe that's oversimplifying a bit, but the basics are the same. In this story, we have the Grinch, who hates Christmas and every year must put up with the celebration of the Whos who live in the valley below his cave. But this year things will be different. This year, he intends to do something about it. Surely the Whos will be disappointed when they wake up Christmas morning to discover that all their presents and decorations have been stolen. Or will they?
Told is classic Seuss fashion, completely in rhymes, this book appeals to kids year round. I know I insisted that it be read to me more then just in December. The fanciful illustrations, also classic Seuss, are just as engaging as this story. After all, what could be worse to kids then no Christmas? Yet there is a message here that there is more to Christmas then the commercialism we see around us. It's subtle and not expanded on greatly, but it's there none-the-less.
Surely Charles Dickens' classic tale was an influence when Dr. Seuss sat down to write this book. Both the main characters hate Christmas and miss the point, but have a revelation that shows them how important Christmas really is. Of course, the meat of the stories is completely different, so kids not ready for Dickens will love this one.
If there is such a thing as a classic picture book, this belongs in that category. Enjoyable at Christmas, or the whole year round.

5.0 out of 5 stars a too brief respite, Nov. 4 2001
Orrin C. Judd "brothersjudddotcom" (Hanover, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
In recent weeks we've been deluged with a whole lot of harrumphing about how the new Grinch movie violates the true spirit of the blessed Dr. Seuss's original story, and about how the marketing campaign is a horrific manifestation of exactly the kind of commercialization that the tale is intended to combat. But there's a deep dark secret that we all share : no one truly cares about the good Doctor's message : we love the Grinch who steals Christmas, not the one who returns it. All those Whos down in Whoville are too annoying for us to care much whether they enjoy their holiday and the pre-conversion Grinch is so delightfully evil that we root for him, rather than against. The Grinch succeeds, not because of its intended message, but because in the midst of all the saccharine of the Christmas season, we all welcome the sight of a total curmudgeon. Think about it, our favorite characters in three great yuletide tales are Scrooge, the Abominable and the Grinch. In every story, it's the anti-Christmas figure we're attracted to : to heck with Tiny Tim, the misfit toys and Cindy-Lou Who.
Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, the whole deal--the baby Jesus, the presents, the food, family, friends, classic movies and tv shows, music, decorating the tree, etc., etc., etc... But there's also that buzzardly part of me, and I bet of many of you, that needs an antidote, however temporary, to all of the artificial sentiment of the season. I admit that I still mist up every time they sing Auld Lang Syne at the end of It's a Wonderful Life, but beats there a heart so sappy that it actually thrills to the strains of "Fahoo Doray ?" No, the Grinch lives on because, until his heart grows those three sizes, he provides a brief respite from the hoopty-do of a holiday that takes not just commercialization but vacuous sentiment to an unbearable extreme..
GRADE : A-

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice story indeed, Nov. 3 2002
By A Customer
"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" By Dr. Seuss
Looking quite out of place and very disturbing in his makeshift Santa get-up, the Grinch slithers down chimneys with empty bags and stealing the Whos' presents, their food, even the logs from their humble Who-fires. He takes the ramshackle sleigh to Mt. Crumpit to dump it and waits to hear the sobs of the Whos when they wake up and discover the trappings of Christmas have disappeared. Imagine the Whos' dismay when they discover the evil-doings of Grinch in his anti-Santa guise. But what is that sound? It's not sobbing, but singing!
The story opens with a classic statement of contrast.
Every Who down in Who-ville liked Christmas a lot... but the Grinch, who lived just north of Who-ville, did NOT!
We don't know why he didn't like Christmas, just the things he didn't like about it, such as noise, feasting, and singing.
This story really shows what Christmas is all about. It starts out with Whos' buying presents and having a cheery time, then when the Grinch steals all their presents he expects them to not have a good Christmas. To his dismay they actually have a wonderful Christmas singing around their giant Christmas tree.

5.0 out of 5 stars You better watch out!, April 6 2002
Ami Onari (Bangkok,Thailand) - See all my reviews
The Grinch story is a different story from the other books that I have read. It was easy to understand and it was so interesting to read. The common Christmas day is a happy day for children, but the Grinch hated Christmas so he would do anything to stop Christmas from going on. However finally, he accepted and found the true meaning of Christmas. Cindy Low has a good character filled with intelligent, humor, and innocence. She was very young for her age, but ready for anything that could happen to her life because she lived in an adventure. She reminds me of when I was little innocent girl that loved to have fun. She was my favorite character in this book. The end of the story was very touching and it ended happily. My feelings for the ending were happy for the Grinch.
I thought this novel wanted to tell us that we should search for the truth because we thought we know everything about ourselves but we really didn�ft.
I knew this book has a power of knowing our personalities in our hearts. I think it might have a great influence on you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Seuss Classic, Jan. 16 2013
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
This is a story I loved myself as a child, and really wanted to get it to read to my sons. The only thing I don't like about this book is that it isn't colorful like most Dr. Seuss books, but the story is of course always a great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as advertised, July 8 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Jan. 16 2011
Kristy Keus (BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
It's a great book, loved by the whole family :)
My 6 year old even read this to us. A classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Holiday Book to Read in Class, Sept. 8 2003
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
My students really love this book and they like to talk about it for days after. I think it is great to hear them talk about what they think is right and wrong and to have discussions about morals based on the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it comes round all the year, never fear, ye, never fear, July 22 2003
FrKurt Messick "FrKurt Messick" (Bloomington, IN USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
In my last Seuss-an rhyme I lied
Even though I really tried
And really bad for one completely
training to be oh so priestly
But how could I forget this story
How could it not get some glory
For the Grinch is each of us
In our cars or on the bus
We go our ways and think we're not
We really think we're very hot
But little things can mean a lot
One small voice can hit the spot
And just who are these Who's who sing?
What new learning can they bring?
Where would we be without the tale
That Christmastime will never fail
For humankind will always strive
So long as we remain alive
To capture for that briefest time
Community most real, sublime
Regardless of your race or creed
Virtue or heroic deed
Or even the most evil kind
Rarely will be left behind
For grace will work in ways most wondrous
For an event that comes most thund-rous
And, albeit, unexpected
Though, confessing, was expected
For this is a children's tale
The ending cannot make us wail
And as in true prophecy, has hope
Surely we won't want to mope
But joy surrounds us, everyone
Old as dirt and very young
And we will learn it most completely
Not obtuse and not obliquely
That love will rule the final day
And love will help us all the way
The wonderful tale by Dr. Seuss, 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas', has become such as part of the culture that it is difficult to think of Christmas without it. To be a Grinch is as understood in the common vernacular as to be a Scrooge, another literary adaptation. The adaptation for television made this a ubiquitous story, but the book is where the truly glory lies, in the story. Again, in true Seussian character, the vocabulary is small and the rhyming schemes simple, all the better to make sure that children and learning and remembering, not just language, but also imagination and creativity.
Pros
A grinch who changes, a Who who hopes
Cons
Nothing here that fails or slopes
A must-have for children of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cherished Memory, April 24 2003
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
How The Grinch Stole Christmas by Dr. Seuss was one of my favorite books when I was younger. It must be because it is about how bad is conquered by good in the end. The Grinch had an intent to do evil to the happy, generous, trusting Whos from Who-ville. He wanted to ruin their Christmas because he did not like the idea of other people enjoying themselves. The Grinch only knew the ways of evil so he wanted his grouchy ways to be incorporated into the Whos. He tried to ´¿´¿find some way to stop Christmas from coming!´¿ He made a plan to dress as Saint Nicholas and go around Who-ville stealing their presents, Christmas trees, roast beast, and other objects and decorations that are instituted into Christmas. He thought he destroyed Christmas when he had gathered all the things together and he thought he succeeded. However, as he was about to throw all the stuff from the edge of a cliff he decided to listen in and hear if the Whos had already gotten up and realized that all their things were gone. He thought he would find a negative reaction from the Whos but he only heard singing. He realized he only made the Whos stronger in their trust of everything turning out fine in the end, and it did.
(This is an assumption:) he realized that he had his own hopes, that he just let them slide to the point that they weren´¿t his aspiration anymore. His faith once more grew once he saw that other people had higher hopes in worse situations than his. I have no clue what his ´¿ true, aspiring ´¿ hopes were but they must have nose-dived at a certain point in his life so as to make him feel hopeless.
When I was young my actions where torn by what was wrong, right, fun, and not enjoyable. It is important for young kids to stay true to their beliefs. How The Grinch Stole Christmas shows the perseverance of faith in good out-comings. ´¿A small Who´¿ Little Cindy-Lou Who, who was not more than two´¿´¿ is like any average child with a preserved faith. She even believed that this ´¿Santy Claus´¿ was a do gooder and in the end she was rewarded with the fake Santy Claus becoming the real one in spirit. If she hadn´¿t had so much trust in the Grinch he might have turned out to be fake.
I remember my mom reading me Dr. Seuss at bedtime when she had time from work. My mom thinks that I loved the rhymes, goofy words, the cheery stories that always showed true morals (meaning that they were applicable to real life situations,) and the way she took time out to read those Dr. Seuss books (because she liked to read them to me.) When we did have those night times together I would always love to spend it huddled up next to my mom and follow the words while she read me a book or story.

ARRAY(0xc3b3ae40)

How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - Oct. 12 1957)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71