5.0 out of 5 stars Scrooge for Kids
Published on Dec 9 2003 by Mark Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as advertised
The book arrived in reasonable time, considering the Canada Post dispute that was going on. However, there was no Audio CD, and the front pages were torn more than I would have expected.
Published on July 8 2011 by Eileen Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrooge for Kids, Dec 9 2003
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
Maybe that's oversimplifying a bit, but the basics are the same. In this story, we have the Grinch, who hates Christmas and every year must put up with the celebration of the Whos who live in the valley below his cave. But this year things will be different. This year, he intends to do something about it. Surely the Whos will be disappointed when they wake up Christmas morning to discover that all their presents and decorations have been stolen. Or will they?
Told is classic Seuss fashion, completely in rhymes, this book appeals to kids year round. I know I insisted that it be read to me more then just in December. The fanciful illustrations, also classic Seuss, are just as engaging as this story. After all, what could be worse to kids then no Christmas? Yet there is a message here that there is more to Christmas then the commercialism we see around us. It's subtle and not expanded on greatly, but it's there none-the-less.
Surely Charles Dickens' classic tale was an influence when Dr. Seuss sat down to write this book. Both the main characters hate Christmas and miss the point, but have a revelation that shows them how important Christmas really is. Of course, the meat of the stories is completely different, so kids not ready for Dickens will love this one.
If there is such a thing as a classic picture book, this belongs in that category. Enjoyable at Christmas, or the whole year round.

5.0 out of 5 stars a too brief respite, Nov. 4 2001
Orrin C. Judd "brothersjudddotcom" (Hanover, NH USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
In recent weeks we've been deluged with a whole lot of harrumphing about how the new Grinch movie violates the true spirit of the blessed Dr. Seuss's original story, and about how the marketing campaign is a horrific manifestation of exactly the kind of commercialization that the tale is intended to combat. But there's a deep dark secret that we all share : no one truly cares about the good Doctor's message : we love the Grinch who steals Christmas, not the one who returns it. All those Whos down in Whoville are too annoying for us to care much whether they enjoy their holiday and the pre-conversion Grinch is so delightfully evil that we root for him, rather than against. The Grinch succeeds, not because of its intended message, but because in the midst of all the saccharine of the Christmas season, we all welcome the sight of a total curmudgeon. Think about it, our favorite characters in three great yuletide tales are Scrooge, the Abominable and the Grinch. In every story, it's the anti-Christmas figure we're attracted to : to heck with Tiny Tim, the misfit toys and Cindy-Lou Who.
Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas, the whole deal--the baby Jesus, the presents, the food, family, friends, classic movies and tv shows, music, decorating the tree, etc., etc., etc... But there's also that buzzardly part of me, and I bet of many of you, that needs an antidote, however temporary, to all of the artificial sentiment of the season. I admit that I still mist up every time they sing Auld Lang Syne at the end of It's a Wonderful Life, but beats there a heart so sappy that it actually thrills to the strains of "Fahoo Doray ?" No, the Grinch lives on because, until his heart grows those three sizes, he provides a brief respite from the hoopty-do of a holiday that takes not just commercialization but vacuous sentiment to an unbearable extreme..
GRADE : A-

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice story indeed, Nov. 3 2002
By A Customer
"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" By Dr. Seuss
Looking quite out of place and very disturbing in his makeshift Santa get-up, the Grinch slithers down chimneys with empty bags and stealing the Whos' presents, their food, even the logs from their humble Who-fires. He takes the ramshackle sleigh to Mt. Crumpit to dump it and waits to hear the sobs of the Whos when they wake up and discover the trappings of Christmas have disappeared. Imagine the Whos' dismay when they discover the evil-doings of Grinch in his anti-Santa guise. But what is that sound? It's not sobbing, but singing!
The story opens with a classic statement of contrast.
Every Who down in Who-ville liked Christmas a lot... but the Grinch, who lived just north of Who-ville, did NOT!
We don't know why he didn't like Christmas, just the things he didn't like about it, such as noise, feasting, and singing.
This story really shows what Christmas is all about. It starts out with Whos' buying presents and having a cheery time, then when the Grinch steals all their presents he expects them to not have a good Christmas. To his dismay they actually have a wonderful Christmas singing around their giant Christmas tree.

5.0 out of 5 stars You better watch out!, April 6 2002
Ami Onari (Bangkok,Thailand) - See all my reviews
The Grinch story is a different story from the other books that I have read. It was easy to understand and it was so interesting to read. The common Christmas day is a happy day for children, but the Grinch hated Christmas so he would do anything to stop Christmas from going on. However finally, he accepted and found the true meaning of Christmas. Cindy Low has a good character filled with intelligent, humor, and innocence. She was very young for her age, but ready for anything that could happen to her life because she lived in an adventure. She reminds me of when I was little innocent girl that loved to have fun. She was my favorite character in this book. The end of the story was very touching and it ended happily. My feelings for the ending were happy for the Grinch.
I thought this novel wanted to tell us that we should search for the truth because we thought we know everything about ourselves but we really didn�ft.
I knew this book has a power of knowing our personalities in our hearts. I think it might have a great influence on you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seuss, May 24 2014
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
There must be people who don't like Dr Seuss' books. The Christmas Grinch is such a delight, one would have to bwe a perpetual Grinch to dislike it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How the Grinch Stole Christmas, April 27 2014
Boogie (North America) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
A classic I read when I was a child. I bought this to read to my daughter. As brilliant as I remember. How could you not give this 5 stars???

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Seuss Classic, Jan. 16 2013
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
This is a story I loved myself as a child, and really wanted to get it to read to my sons. The only thing I don't like about this book is that it isn't colorful like most Dr. Seuss books, but the story is of course always a great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as advertised, July 8 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, Jan. 16 2011
Kristy Keus (BC Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
It's a great book, loved by the whole family :)
My 6 year old even read this to us. A classic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Holiday Book to Read in Class, Sept. 8 2003
This review is from: How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Hardcover)
My students really love this book and they like to talk about it for days after. I think it is great to hear them talk about what they think is right and wrong and to have discussions about morals based on the book.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas!
How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - Oct. 12 1957)
CDN$ 18.99 CDN$ 13.71