march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store sports Tools Registry

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on November 3, 2002
"How the Grinch Stole Christmas" By Dr. Seuss
Looking quite out of place and very disturbing in his makeshift Santa get-up, the Grinch slithers down chimneys with empty bags and stealing the Whos' presents, their food, even the logs from their humble Who-fires. He takes the ramshackle sleigh to Mt. Crumpit to dump it and waits to hear the sobs of the Whos when they wake up and discover the trappings of Christmas have disappeared. Imagine the Whos' dismay when they discover the evil-doings of Grinch in his anti-Santa guise. But what is that sound? It's not sobbing, but singing!
The story opens with a classic statement of contrast.
Every Who down in Who-ville liked Christmas a lot... but the Grinch, who lived just north of Who-ville, did NOT!
We don't know why he didn't like Christmas, just the things he didn't like about it, such as noise, feasting, and singing.
This story really shows what Christmas is all about. It starts out with Whos' buying presents and having a cheery time, then when the Grinch steals all their presents he expects them to not have a good Christmas. To his dismay they actually have a wonderful Christmas singing around their giant Christmas tree.
on February 16, 2016
As a child, I solely remembered my favourite 'Dr. Seuss' book, <i>'Green Eggs And Ham'</i>. Neither wanting to eat them with a goat, nor in a moat makes me laugh even today! My only other knowledge of this humour-driven author was spare familiarity with '<b>How The Grinch Stole Christmas</b>'. I had not even seen its films. It is time I know these famous stories thus, snatching a copy second-hand, I started with this 1957 publication.

I liked it and appreciated the visual, temperamental, and eccentric segments of humour sprinkled throughout this tale. From the authorship credits it appeared <b>Theodore</b> served as illustrator too. After reading about him this week, I verified this was so. Of course I do not care for any grumpy creature deigning to spoil anyone's peace, nor anyone partaking of animal meat; even fictional ones! However with this story, <b>Theodore Seuss Geisel</b> achieved one of his most profound, important, and lasting messages. The love, presence, and unity of our family and friends is what makes our hearts soar and the Grinch's thievery could not muffle the spark we feel at Christmas. It is a magical time, no matter that its date might have been orchestrated by humankind.

I sympathized with the Grinch's adorable dog, proud of him for very visibly not wanting anything to do with a negative scheme! I am glad to know this famous story. Since Dads can be grouchy, I enlisted mine to read this for us Christmas eve. My own scheme, to keep spirits pointing in a positive direction worked! He enjoyed the reading and so did we. We made a good memory, focused on the occasion and not drifting into banter. My favourite part was when Dad read of crumbs too small for a mouse. We laughed over those wry, matching illustrations!
on April 6, 2002
The Grinch story is a different story from the other books that I have read. It was easy to understand and it was so interesting to read. The common Christmas day is a happy day for children, but the Grinch hated Christmas so he would do anything to stop Christmas from going on. However finally, he accepted and found the true meaning of Christmas. Cindy Low has a good character filled with intelligent, humor, and innocence. She was very young for her age, but ready for anything that could happen to her life because she lived in an adventure. She reminds me of when I was little innocent girl that loved to have fun. She was my favorite character in this book. The end of the story was very touching and it ended happily. My feelings for the ending were happy for the Grinch.
I thought this novel wanted to tell us that we should search for the truth because we thought we know everything about ourselves but we really didn�ft.
I knew this book has a power of knowing our personalities in our hearts. I think it might have a great influence on you.
on December 25, 2000
The Grinch is a mean one all right. He wiped Christmas right out of Whoville one year, until a little Who melted his heart, which was two sizes too small. Everybody knows that part, and Jim Carrey's new movie streghtens out the details a bit. But nobody's really heard the story from the Grinch's point of view--not until now, anyway. This novel (based on the fillm) is the avrage movie novel--taken from the movie, it alsmost is the movie script. But if we put that aside, this is a great book, told by Mr. Grinch. His attitude is hip and his mood is Grinchy (mean, as always)--and his storytelling abillities are new and refreshing! The feel of the book is increadable, and the way it's told is so good.... The story isn't all that hot, but it follows the movie (it even adds a bit more!), and that's what matters to the publishers. Heck, it's better than the movie! This is worth buying to teach yourself (or anybody else) how to write--it's a wonderful example in technuques of storytelling!! Buy it, and experience the feel for yourself. You'll be glad you did!
on January 16, 2013
This is a story I loved myself as a child, and really wanted to get it to read to my sons. The only thing I don't like about this book is that it isn't colorful like most Dr. Seuss books, but the story is of course always a great read.
on November 26, 2000
this book rocks. i have recently seen the grinch movie, but the book was way better. i do not think it is scary. however little kids might think that the grinch was real. i know my little sister did.
on December 4, 1998
I love reading it with my family during Christmas!!! As well as watching the movie!!!
on January 16, 2016
the same a ,a little bent at the top
on April 29, 2015