5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Why don't I remember this book as a child?
This review consists of three parts: 1. My son's review (5 years old), 2. My daughter's review, and 3. My review (the Mom). These are excerpts from the full review. To see the whole thing, please visit us at our website :)

DAUGHTER SAYS:

Published on March 3 2012 by Renee @ Mother Daughter Book R...

1.0 out of 5 stars good
this book is a Pearce of a biking on the beach so do not read this book it is full of crap. and that it is for babys. like how reads this junk
Published 4 days ago by sophie

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Why don't I remember this book as a child?, March 3 2012
Renee @ Mother Daughter Book Reviews (Vancouver BC) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

DAUGHTER SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it: I liked the funny, interesting names like Lorax and Once-ler. I liked the Truffula trees - they look like long stumps with hair. I didn't like that the Once-ler was cutting the trees because the trees were pretty. The end was good because the Once-ler learned his lesson and felt bad about cutting down the trees. I liked how the Once-ler used the word "biggering" to talk about how his Thneed company was growing. I felt sad when all the trees and animals were gone and I hope that with one seed, it can all come back.

I didn't like how the Once-ler was talking to the Lorax. I think I'm getting too old for Dr. Seuss books because the stories are too short; but I still like watching the movies.

My bottom line: I think littler kids like kindergarten kids and maybe kids in Grades 1 and 2 would like this book, but I still liked it.

SON SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it: I really liked the Thneeds and how he made a whole shop of Thneeds - I really want a Thneed! I would use it as a pillow, or blanket, or a chair, or a couch, or a house, or as a rope to catch someone bad. I like how the Lorax just popped out of the tree stump, but he was bossy and mad. The Truffula trees were funny and cool. It didn't bother me that the trees were getting cut because it was making Thneeds and I liked how the Once-ler's stuff had the words "Once-ler" on it like his wagon and store. The Bar-ba-loots were funny with the way they climbed trees and ate berries. I liked how the city looked like when none of the Truffula trees were cut down. I also liked the telephone that the Once-ler dropped out of his house to talk to the little boy. I could use one of those to talk to my sister. I like the Once-ler's house and how you use ladders to get to another floor. I really like the cover and the drawings of the city.

I didn't like it when the Once-ler said "Shut up!" and when he called him "stupid".

My bottom line: I think every kid in my kindergarten class would LOVE this book. I can't wait to see the movie.

MOM SAYS:

What I liked and disliked about it: I thought I had read every Dr. Seuss book as a child. Well, I must admit that I don't remember reading the Lorax. Perhaps it might have gone right over my head (as may be somewhat evident by my kids' reviews - did my son REALLY say he wanted a Thneed!? Sigh...) I LOVED this book! As I was reading it, all I was thinking is that this is a simple story with such a strong message.

The illustrations of the Truffula trees and all the critters make you fall in love with this fantasy world. These images stand in stark contrast to the grey, drab, stripped-down environment pictured at the beginning and end of the book. The story effectively shows the deterioriation of the environment as the Once-ler gets greedier and greedier (love the use of the term "biggering" to describe his increasing greed). We turn pages to see less and less trees as the story progresses. We witness the migration of the Bar-ba-loots who rely on the berries of the Truffula tree. We are incredulous as the Once-ler turns a blind eye to the Swomee-Swans who cannot breathe with the smog created by the factory. We are saddened when the Humming-Fish must "walk on their fins" as their pond becomes inhabitable. But none of this compares to that final moment when the last Truffula tree is felled and the Lorax takes his leave.

But, thankfully we are not left hanging, Dr. Seuss delivers us hope at the very end. Oh, so well done!! Bravo, Dr. Seuss, bravo.

As mentioned above by my children, the Once-ler's treatment of the Lorax is pretty harsh and some of the language is quite strong. However, compared to the dialogue that occurs in real life between greedy corporations and environmental groups, I find this language quite tame and relatively respectful. Ok, it's quite disrespectful, but the idea is that the Once-ler is the villain so it just makes him that much more so when he's mean to that poor little Lorax.

My bottom line: I was pleasantly surprised by this book, but I'm a bit perplexed by what I should say for a recommendation. The message of the book clearly went over my pro-Thneed son's five-year old head, but my eight year-old daughter felt that the book was a bit too simple for her. I LOVED it. I will recommend this book for 3 to 7 year olds but be prepared to really discuss the message in the book - - otherwise you may find yourself trolling ebay for a "Thneed".

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Jan. 25 2014
This review is from: The Lorax (Hardcover)
Great children's book, we read these to our children every night, and they love them. You can't go wrong with Dr. Seuss!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, July 2 2013
This review is from: The Lorax (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful book that will have a lifelong space on my child's bookshelf. I also use it in teaching science!

1.0 out of 5 stars good, July 19 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Teaching Environmentalism, Dec 28 2006
Other reviews state this is depressing or "bangs a kid over the head" too much.

The cold hard facts are that all the trees are being cut down. Pretty soon there will be none! That is depressing! Deal with it! Teaching children about it may help to stop this process! 18 million trees are being cut down a day in the U.S. That is startling. In ten years when you can't breathe, you will wish you listened to the Lorax 20 years ago!

My kindergarteners love it! It is all in how you approach it. Teach them to LOVE our earth and it won't be depressing. Excellent book and puppet and concept!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Dr. Suess Book, March 21 2011
Craig Heinrich (Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lorax (Hardcover)
We had the real version with paper pages too, but the baby wanted to rip them, so we got the board book. It has been slightly edited to make the story shorter, but is still good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring for a lifetime, March 10 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Lorax (Hardcover)
When I was in elementary school in the mid-1970s, probably around the age of 7 or 8, all the students in the school were assembled and shown the film of the Lorax. The film was very similar to the film of The Grinch that was made at about the same time and is now a video classic - - wonderful animation and great word-for-word narrative reading of the text. I had been unaware of the book before that. I remember very clearly being very moved and inspired by the tale, and I can trace part of my development as an environmentalist to it. I now work in environmental outreach/education, and every once in a while I get out the book of The Lorax and get re-inspired, especially by the line "UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not." I still find the book very relevant to today. It's not extremist in any way. Even its depiction of the Once-ler is not as an evil man, but someone very recognizable. He doesn't mean harm, but "Business is business, and business must grow." Sound familiar? He doesn't recognize the damage he's causing, or understand just how painful and permanent it will be, until too late. This book reminds all of us to not take our beautiful world for granted, but to take responsibility for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Seuss books there is!, March 3 2004
Molly Snyder (St. Paul, MN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lorax (Hardcover)
This story about being a steward for our world and environment is a job for parents and kids alike. My two year old has is memorized (as I do) but we never tire of reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lorax, Dec 21 2003
Kate Harrington (Milford, CT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lorax (Hardcover)
My children love this book. By the time my son was two, I had read it to him so many times that he had memorized it! He, as well as my daughter, just love this story.

5.0 out of 5 stars i know every single word by heart!, Oct. 31 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Lorax (Hardcover)
this is one of my favorite books. its an awesome story, the pictures are really cool, and it tells a good lesson. i hadn't read it since i was really little (i'm 15) until i went on a backpacking trip this summer and one of the counselors had a copy of it with him, with the binding duct taped together and the pages all thick from being rained on and dried again and it was very dirty and it had obviously travelled very far. he finished memorizing it on the trip, learning the end after dark with a flashlight and told it to us from memory on the last night. when i got home i had to find my copy and i read it several times and eventually i memorized it too. now when i can't get to sleep at night i tell it in my head from the beginning to wherever i get when i fall asleep (haha yeah that's why i kept my name anonymous, i tell myself stories in my head). so if more than one person took the time to memorize the whole book than obviously its incredibly good and you'll like it.

The Lorax
The Lorax by Dr. Seuss (Hardcover - Aug. 12 1971)
CDN$ 16.95 CDN$ 12.24