4.0 out of 5 stars Great breadth, but okay illustrations, March 21 2000
This review is from: The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (Hardcover)
Jack Prelutsky has compiled another great anthology of children's poetry. This anthology basically covers the best children's poetry of all time (except for late 80s-90s poems). You'll find some Mother Goose and Lewis Carroll, thus expanding this anthology beyond the 20th century.
The only drawback (and reason why I didn't give the book 5 stars) is the illustrations. Most of the illustrations are traditional monochrome drawings. While they are well done, they are not as colorful or as imaginative as the illustrations in Prelutsky's "The 20th Century Children's Poetry Treasury."
Have fun reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars *LOVE* this book, Nov. 22 2002
nickunt (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Wonderful, just wonderful, this collection of children's poetry sparkles and adds life and verve to any classroom. From the opening stanza of "The Boy What Done A Poo" and the haunting reworking of Goldstein's "Ahhh, I'm telling Miss of you" this anthology will thrill children of all ages, and grown ups too!
(I must point out, however, that the inclusion of controversial poet Sean Hickey's "Bang Bang You're Dead 50 Bullets In Your Head" might cause younger readers some concern).

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Elementary Teachers!, Jan. 4 2001
Devin M. Kearns (Long Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (Hardcover)
Jack Prelutsky's anthology is wonderful! Because it is divided by themes, it makes an ideal resource for teachers searching for the perfect poem on the unit in focus. Most of the poems are whimsical and light-hearted, but also provide access to many forms of poetry across centuries. Arnold Lobel (of Frog and Toad fame) accompanies the poems with adorable, although sometimes plain, illustrations. It is an excellent purchase for the elementary teacher and parents alike -- tons of literacy fun!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remembered Forever, March 6 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (Hardcover)
I taught myself how to read with this book. I remembered it all my life and bought it for my neice when she was learning to read. I am buying one for my cousin's baby and my friend's baby, and every little child I know. And I'm getting another copy for myself. Every child, boy or girl, should at least have this book of poetry if they can have no other.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book Ever, March 27 2003
Summerlin 19 (Pembroke Pines, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (Hardcover)
You should buy the book The Random Book of Poetry for Children because it has funny poems, sad poems, and happy poems. All together it has 572 poems. It can be for children and adults. Also it is my favorite poem book. I think you should buy it. Thank You

5.0 out of 5 stars a real treasure, Oct. 22 2002
S. Bilodeau "king58now" (maine) - See all my reviews
this book is both wonderful and entertaining. A great book to read to a child and it will bring laughter to you both. Funny adventurous and beautifully illustrated. Introduce your little one to poetry with this great selection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Some poems are too harsh for young readers, April 23 2014
This review is from: The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (Hardcover)
I think it is an unbeleivably complete and magnificent collection of poems.
However the poems on kids being beaten by their parents should be outed.
Kids these days are never beaten and should know about ancient customs from another source.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, Oct. 25 2013
This review is from: The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (Hardcover)
This is by far my favorite poetry book for children. It has a wonderful assortment of poems and the whole family enjoys reading from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and funny book, Sept. 29 2013
This review is from: The Random House Book of Poetry for Children (Hardcover)
My 6-year-old says: "I like the book. Easy for kids to read and fun, little cute poems. Really short ones if your kid doesn't want to read. I'm doing a really funny one. It's about middle sized. There are also some that take up 1 or 2 pages. The end." We got this book because I wanted to introduce my daughter to poetry -- I had no idea it would be such a hit. She loves it, and has asked many times to read it. It's simple enough for kids to read on their own.

The Random House Book of Poetry for Children
The Random House Book of Poetry for Children by Jack Prelutsky (Hardcover - Sept. 12 1983)
CDN$ 29.99 CDN$ 18.80